“Can't beat the location.”

Sebastian's on the Beach
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Funky hotel right on the beach just steps from the great surf of Little Apple Bay. Don't expect luxury, it's a little rough around the edges, but you can't beat the location. If you're coming to Tortola to surf and love to party at the legendary Bomba Shack, this is the only place to stay!! Within stumbling distance of everything you need.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karl M

Reviewed 10 October 2011

My friends and I just got back from a week long stay at Sebastian's and I could not have asked for much of a better hotel. Originally, my friends and I had booked two standard suites, but after awhile called a few times about upgrading. I think we called enough that the hotel staff knew we were coming together and had two upgraded rooms in the seaside villas waiting for us, with adjoining doors which was very nice and came in handy. I was in the Rose villa while my other friends were in the Palms villa.

The rooms themselves I thought were quite nice. Mine came with a king sized bed, TV, fridge, plates and dishes, utencils, toaster oven, coffee maker, coffee, etc. The bathroom was also quite nice as it was lined with granite and marble, and the shower had quite nice fixtures. There were a few big mirrors and the bathroom had tons of space in it. My shower was in a bathtub, which of course is fine although my friends in Palms had one of the walk-in showers.

The bed and pillows were a little firm, but it worked out well and falling asleep was definitely not a problem. In the closet they provide softer pillows anyway in case you need them. The rooms also come with a safe as well as flashlights and an umbrella. The room also had a nice round wood table with a few chairs, and also had two ceiling fans as well as an AC unit above the closet which could be controlled with a remote. The balcony I had was very nice too complete with a lounge chair and a table with a few chairs.

The view I had was very, very nice. In bed I could see out into the sea and also to Cappoons Bay and Apple Bay. Getting up and looking the other way had views of Jost Van Dyke and Little Jost Van Dyke. While not right on the beach like the beachfront villas are, I actually prefer this because the waves crash into some sizable rocks below you and make a better noise (my opinion). I slept with one of the balcony doors open every night (screen door closed of course) and it was awesome.

On the beach note, the beach right infront of the restaurant is really nice and quiet. It is close to a few other nice beaches too (Long Bay) and a short drive to what I think was the best beach on Tortola called Smuggler's Cove.

Location-wise to me was good. I am actually very glad I stayed here really. I will say we had a rental car and the restaurant was closed, but really nothing was a problem. If you want something to eat, you can walk to Long Bay or Sugar Mill Restaurant which are pretty close. If you want a drink then Bomba Shack is on the way to Sugar Mill. It looked like there were some other restaurants/bars right around the corner from Sebastian's too, but they were closed (still technically low season when we went). I'm sure there's even more when it's tourist season. The hotel lobby also has some basic snacks to buy, drinks, and alcohol for purchase as well as ice. Getting to the hotel from the airport is easy too if you are going to drive. Follow the main road into town, then keep following that main road (waterfront drive) out of town, go to Zion Hill and after that, you are basically at the hotel. It can be confusing at first if you've never driven on Tortola, but after awhile you'll realize it's not that bad.

Overall, excellent. No, it's not a 5 star resort full of 5 pools and a water slide with 500 kayaks to get, with a spa. What it is though, is a hotel with some nice seaside and beachside villas. The only suggestion I have of any kind is to update the sheets, but to me they were fine, just could use updating if needed. If we get real picky, then let's say they could upgrade to flat screen TVs, but complaining about that in a paradise like Tortola means you have some major problems in my opinion. Anyway, great place and I'll definitely look to stay here again if I can.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank marothisu
Reviewed 29 September 2011

stayed here for the weekend of sept 24-27th, mantance man was very nice to me and gave me a free ride into town saved me quite a bit of money and told me about a local party that nigth. I eventuallly was told about a local shuttle cost 3dollars wich would take me into roadtown i took it and actually had the guy pick me up the next am to take me to the ferry.

I stayed during down season i had no complaints with the hotel, Latoya was the most helpful employee. Its very cozy and colorful and accomodating if your on a budget i only paid 60 a night. The beach is right at your finger tips.The local bar bomba shack was open but i was only one there, over all i would go back and stay there and i highly recommend this quiet tranquil peaceful location. The locals were very nice and answered all my questions and directed me in the right direction.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank janay s
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed three nights in Sept. prior to cruise.Great price for clean,comfortable beach front.Restaurant was closed for the off season had to take Taxis to Cane Garden and West End for meals.Staff was accomodating and quickly offered to call cabs and help with tour operators. Corner near office is the local
hangout at night , a few questionable characters but no real problems.Residents Jazzy (dog) and Ginger
(cat) were every friendly. Great experience, would probably rent a car next time for any stays over a day.
Ferrys were convenient to Jost, Virgin Gorda and St. John.Will definately consider again.

Room Tip: We upgraded to beach front and it made the whole stay.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stacyvic
Reviewed 12 September 2011

In Jan my wife and I did a bareboat charter with 3 other couples. We finished our charter at noon so 3 of the 4 couples planned to take an early morning flight out. In doing some research I found some great reviews for Sebastian's so we thought we would give them a try. Since we now were 6 adults with ALOT of baggage we decided we would rent a car to get from the east end to the west end where Sebastian's is located. Of course in the morning we would need to go back to the west end where the airport is located. The rental agency didn't have a vehicle large enough so they gave us 2 ultra compacts! We arrived at Sebastian's in time for a late lunch. The view from the deck was fantastic and the weather was perfect. My wife and I went for a room on the beach and it was wonderful. I would recommend room number 1 as the sliding door opens on to the sand and that was what we wanted. We enjoyed our lunch and dinner at Sebastian’s restaurant. I would recommend Sebastian’s and if we’re lucky we may be back next year.

Room Tip: We had room #1 and the sliding glass door open right onto the sand!
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jlchristensen
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I had a quick one night stay at Sebastian's and have no complaints. It was not a five star resort, but a very authentic small inn located on the quiet West End of Tortola. I opted for the cheapest room, which was located away from the beach, just across a narrow road. The room was clean and everything worked, although there was no hot water for the shower. The beach itself was very nice. There were large chunks of worn down coral in the water, but they didn't bother anyone. I am very happy to say that I encountered no rude staff members, as previous posters had written. Everyone I dealt with was pleasant and friendly. I would say that Sebastian's is a good choice for anyone who wants a feel for the authentic Caribbean, before the days of all-inclusive mega resorts.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank pjsubway
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Stayed for 10 days at Sebastian's Villas and absolutely LOVED IT again! The view from our room looking out over the breakers below and across to Jost is to die for. Rooms are very nicely appointed and our favorite housekeeper, Glery, always takes such great care of us with daily maid service. Just a short walk down to the hotel property and Sebastian's Restaurant where we had breakfast for several mornings, lunch once, and dinner as well. Annie, Pat, Roxanne, et all are very kind and provide great service. The key to any establishment in the BVI's is for you, the tourist, to be nice with a simple good morning/afternoon/evening, a please and thank you. We see a LOT of very rude abrasive tourists who act thsat way, get indifferent treatment and then complain about the service!

The Villas are a great place to use as a base to go beaching and explore Tortola. We'll definitely go back for our 11th year in 2012 and can't wait to stay in Little Apple Bay again with Uschi and Jazzy!

Room Tip: Just say Please!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
9 mi away
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay

Been to Sebastian's on the Beach? Share your experiences!