“Quirky but suitable”

Sebastian's on the Beach
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 30 November 2009

What can I say....BVI never really made it on the tourist cirucuit. That is what I like about the place. Your find those who really want to be there and can overlook some creature comforts that you would find in many other tourist locations.

Sebastian's is just OK. The rooms are a bit tired but adequate. They are in a great location and the prices are good. They should probably consider upgrading the rooms, with better furnishings and decor and remove the heavy drapes, worn bedding and update the bathrooms. I make these comments but would also say that I have stayed here many times. I have also stayed at Sugar Mill and rooms are better but not so much so to justify the much higher prices. If you love relaxing, unspoiled beauty, natives that are friendly but reserved, a safe location with great weather and beautiful beaches Tortola is for you. If you are looking for a highly developed tourist destination of which there are many than you should look elsewhere. Tortola is changing but definately and hopefully will never turn into the super-club, high rise condo, timeshare destinations that have negatively impacted many of its neighbors.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fcast2721

Reviewed 23 September 2009

I really tried to like this hotel. I know that in a place like Tortola, you have to go with the flow and can't expect your lodgings to be 5 star. That being said, this place really has very little going for it except for the view and proximity to the beach. I will say that this hotel is literally 5 steps to the beach. Besides that, it's really dingy and run down.

We requested and booked a second floor room (more privacy, all the rooms on the first floor were occupied by families it seemed) with a balcony. The view was truly breathtaking. Upon arrival, we found that our comforter cover was stained and that there were ants going to and from the bathroom. The balcony furniture was rusted and one of the three legs on one chair was so dented that you couldn't sit on it without tipping it over.

We paid 250 a night for our room and expected beautiful surroundings (check) and a reasonably clean room (not even close; I felt dirty just being in the room). If you decide to go despite what I've just said here and you are going with your significant other for a getaway, please request a 2nd floor balcony room so you can enjoy what little there is to enjoy of this hotel.

I highly recommend going to eat at the Sugar Mill Hotel, just a short hop and skip from Sebastian's.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank allens11
Reviewed 22 July 2009

2nd time we've stayed and just as good as the last time. My wife and I stayed at the seaside villa, hibiscus 56, same as before and the view was just as spectacular. Comfortable bed, good air-conditioning, tv, spacious bathroom and convient kitchen and balcony with spectacular lookout of the ocean. Eating breakfast on the balcony overlooking the Ocean has to be experienced. Great location near Cane Garden Bay for swimming and several good restaurants such as Sugar Mill, Bananakeet, and Pussers. You need a car to get around which is easy to rent. Roadtown is about 1/2 hour away. Shopping not as good as St. Thomas, but otherwise not bad for picking up some souvenirs.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank olympicoscar
Reviewed 12 July 2009

This was not our first trip to Sebastian's. We love it because the staff is great, the views are gorgeous, the water, spectacular and the food is very good. Can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aude027
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Location was wonderful ,great value and very comfortable. The staff were efficient but not friendly. The only drawback was the feral roosters calling through the night, beware the mosquitoes after sunset. the beach was wonderful and the surf was a bonus. A group of us stayed here prior to a sailing holiday.The Sugar mill up the road was a wonderful place for a dinner.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank bearlahinch
Reviewed 21 February 2009

We went to Tortola for a fur day get away from Puerto Rico where we live and actually have a small guesthouse ourselves. We did zero planning in advance for acomodations and were 'winging it' which was a definate mistake for high season I know in hindsight.
The first night we stayed in Road Town, paid way way to much and were unable to sleep with bedbugs..roosters at 5 am after mostly sleepless night..not fun. The second night we wound up by default at another spot in Cane Garden Bay..nice staff but more roosters, too many tourists and smelly room. The third day we were determined to strike gold..(and we practically had to to pay the cost of the staying at Sebastians but)...it was totally worth every penny by then. Our rooms the first night was ok but the second night we switched to a great one...the staff was fairly helpful depending on who you approached. The beach was great, the waves awesome and the general town the best of the three we checked out.but way low key..which we loved. Wish we had done our homework and just stayed there all four nights even at over $160 per night.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KayakerPuertoRico
Reviewed 13 February 2009

Sebastiens is ok for what you pay. The rooms(garden) were fine,although a blood stain on the wall above the bed was there when we arrived and still there when we left 2 days later. The restaurant was actually quite good and had great atmosphere. Most of the staff was fine but the hotel receptionist and one of the morning waitresses really didn't seem to give a [--] and seemed actually annoyed that we were there. The receptionist actually refused to call me a cab because I had only waited 15 minutes for the one that I had booked for the return to the airport that had yet to arrive. She finally called me one after I explained to her that missing our flights was going to cost us lots of money and that wasn't going to happen. We were there on a sailing charter with BVI yacht charters and loved the charter. I can't say I would recommend the BVI's as a land based trip. I really didn't find the people very friendly for the most part. Although no one bothers you to buy stuff. The island itself was actually quite dirty in areas(near Sebastiens and The SugarMill) with garbage strewn everywhere. There were even abandoned cars at the side of the road that had been there for months. Overall we loved the charter but wouldn't stay on the Island again. BTW I have never complained about any vacation I've ever been on. I just don't think they have the whole hospitality thing down yet.

Stayed: February 2009
#10 of 13 in Road Town
Long Bay Beach Club
Long Bay Beach Club
#7 of 25 in Tortola

Been to Sebastian's on the Beach? Share your experiences!