“Great hotel if you are going to dive”

Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 22 June 2009

The hotel is nice and clean and the staff was friendly. The location is superb if you want to go diving - which I did. BlueWaterDivers are located next door. It is a 10 minute taxi ride to Road Town. Pool and beach area is okay, but this is not a 5star resort. Food and drinks at PegLeg are tasty. You will probably get bored if you stay here without diving or sailing. There is also a wind surfing shop next door - I did not try it but it looked professional. If you just want to have a beer or two I recommend Mulligans.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank db05292014i

Reviewed 26 April 2009

We purchased the Nanny Cay Dive package and we are glad we did, The hotel is short walk to the dive center and their boats. The hotel is clean and efficient and it has great views. This is by no means a five star hotel but it has its plusses. There are restuarants and bars, groceries, spa and various little stores. You really do not have to leave the marina area. But if you do , the hotel is only a 10 minute ride to the center of town. I probably we not take my family here as there is limited things to do for the kids. Overall if I were to return to Tortola for diving I would not hesitate to stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank misamassa
Reviewed 12 March 2009

After reading some of the previous reviews I had some concerns about staying here, however, I was pleasantly surprised with all aspects of the hotel and surrounding area after my stay.
The rooms are clean and spacious with fans, AC, free wifi and mini fridges. The patios are large and many have nice views of the marina/ocean/mountains. I found the hotel staff to be very friendly and outgoing and never once felt uncomfortable leaving my computer or wallet in the room. This is not a high class resort but the rooms are clean, nice and very comfortable.
The only drawback of the rooms would probably be the shower. Both my colleague and I found that the showers take a long time to register a change in temperature. So you have to make small changes and wait a few minutes before you can actually feel the change in water temperature. With a little bit of patience and practice it becomes a piece of cake.
The Nanny Cay Marina is a wonderful area to stay. The hotel pool and small sandy beach are a short (1 or 2 minute) stroll down the boardwalk from the hotel. The pool is very nice and has great views of the ocean and surrounding islands. There are two restaurants in the Marina area, Peg Legs and Genakers. Both had good food and friendly service. We had dinner at Peg Legs twice and one evening the food was a little slow to arrive but it didn't really matter as Peg Legs has a great atmosphere and wonderful views. The waitress was also very apologetic about the wait time.
Construction of the adjacent townhouses was occurring while I stayed at the hotel but I never noticed construction noise unless I was actually walking by the townhouses.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank andyg376
Reviewed 14 February 2009

We were coming in to Nanny Cay for some sail chartering. We spent two nights separately.

In two different rooms, the showers had only intermittant hot water...an unpleasent kind of pulsating effect between hot and cold, but at least you could stand upright in it compared to the ship.

Check in staff had attitudes somewhere in between apathetic and minimally hostile.

They've got you because it's the only game in town (or at least in that Cay). You'll pay what they ask and be happy for the room over your head.

You do have a little fridge and the AC worked well enough.

Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 23 May 2008

A nice, clean inn of above average quality in the caribbean. We stayed at the hotel prior to beginning our yacht charter vacation, as our yacht wasn't available for a sleepaboard.

Pluses:
Air Conditioned. Makes the adjustment to the Caribbean climate easier, and the first night's sleep after a long trip much more enjoyable.

Price. At $120/night, it's much cheaper than Road Town.

Free internet kiosk in the lobby.

Clean room, with coffee maker, fridge, and complimentary bottled water.

Small spa on site.

Two restaurants in the marina.

Fresh water pool.

Friendly staff.

Minuses:
Booking only available directly through hotel.

One in our party was having great difficulty getting a response from the hotel. And for us, our reservation was lost. Luckily, I had printed out the email with the confirmation number on it, and they put us up in an upgraded room for the inconvenience.

Other:
Yacht charterers can rent the showers in the spa for a very low rate, yet these showers are beautiful! I will definately be taking advantage of them on my next charter!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank PaulVancouver_BC
Reviewed 5 March 2008

Pros:
Clean room, free waters in fridge, good porch area with view of the Nanny Cay marina

Cons:
-Overpriced at $234/night
-Dirty bathroom with nowhere to put soap or shampoo, and the water just sprays out onto the floor. I recommend going to the Nanny Cay marina bathrooms, which are right next to the hotel and are the best marina bathrooms I have ever seen.
-Unfriendly staff - the front desk person was too busy taking personal phone calls to care about us.
-Unfriendly staff at other places around the marina, like the cafe by the docks (miserable waitresses - they should move on and do something else). And the wait staff at the Peg Leg sucks. However the manager went out of his way to get us a bag of ice that we could bring to a friend's boat.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2008

I stayed her in Jan 2008 on three separate nights and the main problem is the terrible attitude of the reception staff. I travel very regularly and the reception staff at Nanny Cay have to be the rudest most ignorant that I have ever encountered, everything,even checking you in is to much trouble and no matter how nice you try to be you are still treated with contempt and ignored. A word of advice, never, never, go to reception for any reason whilst the reception staff are eating (which is most of the time) this will result in a level of hatred only generally handed out by an ex-spouse. The rooms are very average about like an old 70’s Days Inn, rarely have water and sometimes have no water or power. When the water is working it tends to mix with sewage and make a re-appearance in the shower. Road Town or West End is only about 15 mins away so unless you just have to be close to the Marina stay somewhere else. Although the hotel do not own the Peg Leg restaurant I think the staff must be related to the reception staff as the experience at the restaurant was about the same.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GdTimeCharlie
#1 of 1 in Beef Island
Frenchmans
Frenchmans
#1 of 2 in West End

Been to Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel? Share your experiences!