“Would definitely stay here again!”
Review of Fort Burt Hotel

Fort Burt Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have been to Tortola several times and stayed on the beach. This time I wanted to be close to ferry dock so I could day trip to Anegada. I chose the Fort Burt for location, but am pleasantly surprised by the place. Magnificent views, nice rooms; deluxe one has vaulted ceilings, nice comfy bed, very clean. The best part is the staff. So friendly and accommodating. The breakfast cook walked with me downtown today to make sure I found the Botanical Park (a must see in my opinion). The Internet works in my room, cable tv a bit fuzzy sometimes, but with the views, tv is optional. The reception area and restaurant are lovely. Yes, there are stairs but I love the climb. The grandson of the owner that checked me in said he would gladly have someone carry the bags, just ask...I truly love the place and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go deluxe if you like vaulted ceiling.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank djbdds

Reviewed 22 March 2012

After ten days on a Bareboat charter, we were welcomed at the Fort Burt Hotel, just up the hill from our charter company, Conch Charters (also a great company to deal with). The place is a bit old and weathered, built on the original foundation of a fort built by the Dutch in 1655. There are many stairs to climb, but the reward is a beautiful view of the harbor and the string of islands in the Sir Fracis Drake Channel. The staff was very warm and inviting and eager to ensure our comfort and enjoyment. Did I mention the sailboat cruise? Sitting on the balcony enjoying a rum punch after a real shower was a pleasure in itself! There are two pools, an excellent restaurant and comfortable, clean accommodations. All rooms have balconies, and as an extra bonus a rooster to get you up in time to catch the ferry back to St Thomas. We look forward to visiting again next year!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Chippewa-Lady
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The hotel looks like it was once a higher end resort that has lost some its luster over time. Nevertheless, it looks like the current owners and staff are doing all they can to keep it up and make it a pleasant experience. Other posters are correct about the steps. There is one flight up to get to the restaurant and lounge from the driveway (which is steep), then at least another flight to get to the rooms. However the room we had offered a 180 degree view of the harbor and a nice deck to sit on to watch the boats go by. I thought the room was very nice, my wife thought it was a bit dated. The view was worth it. The restaurant and bar was very good, but a little slow on food delivery the night we were there. Other than that, the staff was excellent and very helpful. It is about a 15 minute walk to the ferry and 20 minutes to town. A grocery store is across the street going away from town. If steps are not an issue, this hotel should be a bargain for you.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The views are beautiful and I loved the location--right across from Conch Charters and TMM Yacht Charters. I'm not sure what some reviewers are expecting, but when in the Caribbean you need to relax into island time. If I wanted the Holiday Inn I would have stayed there. Fort Burt has a relaxed island flavor with roosters crowing rather than alarm clocks blaring. Our room was clean and comfortable. The pool overlooking the harbor was also clean and inviting. The staff sent someone to the airport just to make sure we made it in and kept the bar open late so we could get fresh ice and a Painkiller after a long day of travel. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Email and bring printed email with you.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank wyowinds
Reviewed 16 March 2011

The hotel was not a bad place to stay. It was quaint with beautiful views. However, the rooms were musty and old, our bathroom window was stuck open with no screen and our refrigerator woke us up making outrageous sounds! Not to mention that everyday we were woken up by the retched sound of roosters outside our door! As a group, we were given group rates based on 1 too many hotel rooms (which they wouldn't let us cancel) and were told that breakfast/dinner were included at $30/day. This did not include any of the specials or desserts and after staying there for 7 days with an unchanging menu, eating the same 6 items over and over was boring! When we inquired about not using the meal plan, we were told we could not cancel it. Thus, leaving us with an extra $30/day bill for food we didn't want! Additionally, the service was terrible at the restaurant and typically took over an hour for breakfast and at least 2 for dinner!

On the other hand, some of the food was quite delicious (dinner only, not breakfast). The menu could use more exciting items for breakfast or perhaps even healthier options or more basic options for those who don't eat much breakfast.

Overall, should I return to this island, I would definitely stay somewhere else! I felt ripped off and hidden charges just kept adding up!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank mkat918
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Good housekeeping. Torn drapes, permanently open screenless bathroom window, refrigerator compressor made a terrible noise, wake up call didn't come through but the many roosters will wake you at 6:15 anyways. No alarm clock. Low water pressure; can't take a proper shower. Good views but AC noise.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank WineLover044
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Hotel location was quiet, room was clean, there aren't a lot of stairs as one reviewer suggested, breakfast was a little pricey but then again the whole VI's are expensive, nice short safe walk along a main road to main part of downtown, supper was awesome and reasonably priced at the restaurant, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 13 in Road Town
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Fort Burt Hotel? Share your experiences!