“A bit Fawlty Towers”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Costa Rica
“A bit Fawlty Towers”
Reviewed 22 November 2012

With several crew members coming in from various parts of the world (we chartered from Conch), we booked a 'semi-suite' as well as a standard room with the idea of doing our own catering for the 4 days we stayed. A spacious but shabby room overlooking the water but the kitchenette was virtually unequipped. The nice but totally clueless receptionist sent me to the kitchen to ask for utensils and plates. But the kitchen is separate from the hotel and they were reluctant to hand over much more than a couple of spoons and plates. However, the lovely cleaning housekeeper next morning managed to obtain everything we needed. The AC barely worked and the 'nice but totally clueless' receptionist was no help but eventually a technician arrived that night and it improved slightly. My husband was fascinated about how 'mickey' the mickey-mouse wiring was ... Breakfast is not included in room rates and our one-time breakfast was served by a decidedly grumpy lady (most untypical of these friendly islanders). The room rates seemed high, but then hotels are really expensive here, so I suppose the rate was fair for what we got.
So for fans of Basil Fawlty, this is your place.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the night before meeting with our bareboat chartering companions next day. The room overlooked the bay and it was only a standard suite! The gentleman at the front desk was pleasant and helped bring luggage to out room. The price was very reasonable I thought. The pool, overlooking the bay, was CRYSTAL clear, beautiful really, with tiled workmanship.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
South
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Spent one night here before picking up our boat from Conch Charters. About a 10 minute walk to the hotel from the ferry dock in Road Town. Nice hotel up a steep hill from the main road. Great views from the bar area and very friendy and helpful staff. Rooms were a little older but the AC worked great and room was pretty large. Nice balcony outside offered great place to hang out also. Nice option for a night or two.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank IslandBoy1
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We were recently bareboat chartering a yacht from TMM and needed a Road Town hotel the night before, in order to do our provisioning and get set up for our holiday.
We chose The Fort Burt due to it's location, literally across the road from TMM Marina.
The hotel more than exceeded our expectations.
Our airconditioned room had great views with a balcony and was more than adequately sized for our family of 4. Although the room was a bit dated, for the price, we thought it was great value.
The hotel staff were very friendly and attentive, assisting to store our bags for a late check out.
We thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant breakfast with the views of the bay around us, before a short walk into town to get our sailing provisions.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, it definitely exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I only stayed here one night but the staff, especially the night desk guy Duane, were so friendly and helpful I had to write a review. My partner needed a computer/printer for an urgent travel arrangement situation and was accommodated no problem, and when a lightbulb went out in our room it was fixed by the time we got back from dinner. I really like the room, it's simple but has everything I'd want - air conditioning, balcony with a nice view, big bed, TV etc. The only note I can think of is the lever to switch to the shower probably needs work but it did work for us OK anyway. I just wish we'd stayed longer so we could have tried the onsite restaurant, which also had a pretty awesome view over the harbour as the sun set, and the pool, which likewise overlooks the harbour pretty unbeatably, and even hung around in the lobby/bar, which was very comfortable and quite a cool space.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Eddie and his team are doing a great job. Staff goes out of their way to help you (Roosevelt rocks), food for breakfast was delicious and location to our charter boat couldn't have been better. Rooms have air conditioning and balconies and everything was neat and clean. Have stayed in many hotels in Tortola but we will come back to this one because of the staff. Job well done!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen S
Swansboro
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have been to Tortola several times and stayed on the beach. This time I wanted to be close to ferry dock so I could day trip to Anegada. I chose the Fort Burt for location, but am pleasantly surprised by the place. Magnificent views, nice rooms; deluxe one has vaulted ceilings, nice comfy bed, very clean. The best part is the staff. So friendly and accommodating. The breakfast cook walked with me downtown today to make sure I found the Botanical Park (a must see in my opinion). The Internet works in my room, cable tv a bit fuzzy sometimes, but with the views, tv is optional. The reception area and restaurant are lovely. Yes, there are stairs but I love the climb. The grandson of the owner that checked me in said he would gladly have someone carry the bags, just ask...I truly love the place and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go deluxe if you like vaulted ceiling.