“Decent location, but expensive!”
Review of Maria's by the Sea

Maria's by the Sea
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We stayed at Maria's the night before our 12 day sailing trip. It is in a decent location in Road Town and within walking distance to almost everything. The staff was fantastic--they allowed us to leave our luggage and hang out on their bar deck when we ran out of things to do. However, it is very expensive for having a view of the back of buildings. For $187 I thought we might be getting an ocean view. Rooms are clean, but I wouldn't want to spend my whole vacation there. Even though the staff was great, I probably would recommend finding a place with a better view or paying less for a similar crummy view.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyfishforever

Reviewed 18 February 2009

We use it before / after a Moorings charter and found it very adequate - clean, friendly staff, and the breakfast reasonably priced. The sea view superior rooms had an excellent view. Was really well situated in the center of everything and an easy walk to in the heat. I would not vacation here, but for 1/2 nights was spot on. They do need to get safes in every room, also make sure they work !

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Freddie M
Reviewed 16 February 2009

This hotel does not have a secure site to pay for booking. After several emails confirming two rooms and the price, I had to phone to give my card details. For 6 weeks I tried to get a written confirmation. As I was going out the door to the airport I got the emailed confirmation for only one room. The hotel was full and they could not accommodate us in two rooms. When we got there ,they offered one room with two beds, not very satisfactory but better than sleeping on the street, but they wanted to charge $70 extra for using the second bed. We negotiated $35 extra because it was their mistake. The next morning when we checked out, we found that the base rate had been increased by $35.00. This hotel is clearly dishonest as well as poorly managed. Every time I phoned for written confirmation I clearly stated I had two rooms and they kept telling me ,yes, we have your reservation, but no writted confirmation came. I am not sure what good it would have done even if I had written confirmation as the hotel is so poorly managed. i had written confirmation of the rate but that changed overnight. Best to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2009

This was a great place to spend the night before a Moorings charter. The hotel was clean and quiet and the personnel were polite and friendly. The "superior ocean view" room had a great view of the harbor. The restaurant was a surprise - very good food. Getting to the Moorings was easy the next AM - a 5 minute ride using the Moorings transport that the hotel called for.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Maria's is definitely not a place for a "vacation" but they are an oasis of fun in a sleepy town. After having our reservation bumped from Long Bay resort on Easter week---overbooked maybe?--Maria's was able to give us a room. It turned out to be a blast there. It has a small bar and restaraunt overlooking the boats in the marina there. The people are laid back and fun and the food is pretty good. It is ideally located in Road Town within walking distance of most restaraunts if you want to wander out. The rooms were comfortable and clean and you can watch the action and hubbub on all the yachts in the marina. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 8 December 2008

8 of us stayed at Maria's the day before, and the day after our charter cruise. As the planner for the trip, I was anxious when we checked in. However, the staff put us at ease with taxi information, local restaurants,helpfull hints, relaxed but thorough service, and clean comfortable rooms. You may be assured that if you are interested in seeing and doing the most with limited time, Maria's is the place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank elwat
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We were looking for a nice clean moderately priced room for one night prior to taking the morning ferry to Anegada. Based on the advice of both tripadvisor and traveltalkonline we decided upon Maria's by the Sea. Maria's fit the bill perfectly. The rooms are simple but were very clean, had a nice balcony, was moderately priced, working air conditioning, and a block or two easy walk to the ferry dock..... exactly what we were looking for. We did not eat at the restaurant but did visit the bar and enjoyed some nice conversation. If you plan to be on Tortola for more than a couple days you may consider staying elsewhere on the island, such as in Cane Garden Bay, but Maria's is perfect if you need a night or two in Road Town before taking the ferry or a charter.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mtheiss
#4 of 13 in Road Town
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#1 of 4 in Cruz Bay

Been to Maria's by the Sea? Share your experiences!