“Not good”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Hermosa Beach, California
“Not good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Although centrally located, the hotel is run down and offers no comfort what-so-ever. Room have musty smell, ants and mosquitoes, shower did not work properly and A/C is extremely loud. Restaurant and Bar is located right in front of hotel and next to yacht harbor. Slow service and expensive (omelet $11-14). No WiFi in room but available in bar area if a drink is ordered.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sjopjm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

We stayed with 3 other couples in two condos at Village Cay Jan 31, 2013. We wish we could have stayed longer, as this was one of the best rooms we've had in the BVI. Very clean, well-appointed kitchen, AC worked great in all rooms, plenty of linens, hot showers, spacious and bright. Lovely deck looking out over gardens and marina, private courtyard patio as well. The wifi was a little slow and hard to connect to. The hotel/condos are located right on the water, the restaurant is very good service and fairly priced for Tortola. Front desk staff was very helpful at check in and out. The pool is small and shallow and very close to the bar/very public. We did have some loud mechanical noises near morning and the music at the Calypso went very late into the night.

Room Tip: Skip the hotel. The condos are much better for the price.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
British Virgin Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stayed here three nights. The first night the air conditioner stopped working and the temperature rose to unbearable levels. The next day the maid said I needed to hit the reset button, although this was not obvious and there were no instructions in the room. She emphasized I had no way of knowing this, and I got the idea that this was an ongoing problem.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, which is why I'm rating it average and not worse.

The restaurant is expensive, not very good, very noisy at night, and has some of the rudest waitresses I have ever seen.

On the plus side, the spa upstairs is very good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
New York City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

January 2013 I stayed at Village Cay Hotel 2 days before and 1 after a bareboat charter. The room was clean but had an overpowering smell from a room freshener. The first morning I awoke to the smell of cigarettes probably for the vent system.

One light didn’t work until I moved the refrigeration unit and plugged it in. The alarm clock was not correctly set causing me meet friends at the wrong time. The clock could not be set.

My plastic key had to be reset. Then after reception was closed it again didn’t work. I had to locate the security guard to get into my room.

On the last day at 3 PM shortly after checking in the housekeeper opened the door without knocking. I was not dressed. She persisted in explaining that she was just checking the room.

At the price they charge you should expect more.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BittenNewYorkCity

Travellers are raving about these Road Town hotels

Richmond, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed here at the beginning and the end of our stay (having sailed a week in between on the beautiful Viking Dream catamaran!). The first weekend, we had booked a room with two double-beds for one night overlooking the Marina. When we arrived, we were informed that our room was not available but fortunately they upgraded us to one of their cabana suites. This actually was not bad - two bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen and living room. My only complaint was that the music from the bar next door was incredibly loud and the a/c in our room leaked. Neither was a show-stopper for us, however. The leak was containable and the music stopped at 11pm. Had this been our only experience, I would have given this place three stars. Unfortunately, we returned the next weekend for one night. We were again told that our room was unavailable, but so was the cabana suite. They then took us to a room that had one king size bed. They offered us two extra cots for my boys. What's worse, the room's air conditioning unit was malfunctioning. This led to a very hot last night in Tortola. The bathroom was also moldy. For what it's worth, the staff were earnest in their attempt to find solutions, but they were incompetent, particularly when it came to the A/C problem - they promised to send in the "A/C guy" but he never showed. If we are ever fortunate enought to return to Tortola, it will not be here.

I would not recommend this place to anyone. You simply can't depend on their representations regarding the quality of their rooms. The whole place needs a major renovation. Until that happens, I would stay away from this place.

Room Tip: I would ask for a cabana suite. Otherwise, I would not come here because you simply cannot trust th...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Coleen B
Paradise Valley, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We spent one night before and one night after our sailing trip in the BVI...there were no electrical outlets in the bathrooms. The roll-a-way bed's mattress was horrible...we asked for two roll-a-ways so that we could stack the two mattresses together for a better sleep (it barely helped).

Room Tip: I really don't know where else we would stay...I'll probably check some other property for f...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank goodtravel T
North Bend, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We arrived mid morning from the ferry and needed to spend one night in Road Town before chartering a boat the following day. Unfortunately we chose this motel. The indifference we encountered was astounding, from the reception to the restaurant. It was as if we offended these people by having to interact with us. When we finally got to the room, we had to haul our bags up 3 stories to a dark little room with a view of a concrete wall. We had traveled quite a distance to get here and we were looking forward to hanging out by their pool only to find that they had drained it and didn't know and didn't care when it was to be filled again. (I had asked several days before if they had a pool and the answer was 'yes' but no mention that it lacked water.) It was our first time in Tortola and we were so excited to be there, so it was too bad we had to encounter such apathy and negativity.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple