“Forced to stay”

Hotel Castle Maria
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
New Mexico
Reviewed 5 June 2006

We were forced to stay at this hotel after a mishap that caused us to miss the ferry back to St. Thomas. Of course, we weren't actually forced, but after an exhaustive day and not wanting to pay for another taxi and hunt for another hotel we felt like we had no choice. The room was worn, the bedside lamp didn't work, the sliding glass door didn't lock, there were ants all over the place and there was no hot water. When we complained about the water, the desk person advised that they would turn on the hot water heater. We didn't have hot water all that night and the next morning, the water was lukewarm.

We ate at the Thai restaurant at the hotel, since the hotel was too much of a walk from the town and we were tired. The food was edible but way overpriced. The server seemed to have little to no experience and mixed up our orders.

We tried to sleep, but the rooster outside the hotel began crowing at 11:30 at night and crowed every hour on the hour. The barking dogs did not help, either.

For the money, we thought that this place was a complete rip off and we would caution anyone from staying there unless they were no other options.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

New Richmond, WI
Reviewed 3 September 2004

A group of eight of us stayed at Hotel Castle Maria in Feb. 2003 for one night prior to departing on a bareboat charter. I selected the hotel and made the reservations and I'm probably lucky that these people are still my friends. We were trying to go budget and I guess that we got what we paid for. They do have a small but pleasant balcony/bar area where we enjoyed a number of libations as well as a great cheeseburger for lunch - didn't eat any other meals there. Rooms are very worn looking but the sheets were clean. Brown water out of the tap and the shower. We drank bottled water and swam in the pool instead. We didn't have a balcony - that might have made a difference. They appear to be running a brothel out of the lower level. A bit disconterting. I would not stay there again but if you are on a tight budget, it probably won't kill you. It did make for some good stories!

• Stayed: February 2003
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 26 April 2004

I can't begin to tell you what a beautiful place the Hotel Castle Maria is. I had came online and read the reviews befoe traveling to Road Town, Tortola BVI and I had actually cancelled my reservations because of the review that I saw here. Well, that was the worse thing that I could have done. We check out of this other hotel the next morning and I had called the Hotel Castle Maria to see if we could still make reservations there. Thank God we did. I loved the place from the time we got there. they showed us the rooms so that we could choose which one we wanted. Some of the rooms were smaller but as in any hotel, there are some small rooms and there are some larger rooms. In any case, our rooms was pretty big and everyone there from the staff to the owner are very hospitable. We stayed there for three nights and I didn't regret a minute of being there. I know that you could here the rooster but everywhere we went you could here the roosters crowing, even in the other hote that we were in. They didn't bother me one bit. I realized that these roosters aren't owned but anyone, they are just around like the birds, cats, dogs or any other animals.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed 21 July 2003

The rooms at Maria's Castle were very small. They were not clean, and they have an ant infestation problem. The door to our room was falling off the hinges and could not be properly secured. Upon check in we noticed that our bathroom floor had a pool of water gathering from a leaking shower that had no hot water. When we requested that someone clean it up and do something about the shower the employee only stared at us with a blank look and left. Hours later someone finally came to clean the water but did not fix the shower. We tried to leave immediately after seeing the room, but they told us they would charge us for one night even though we had been there for 10 minutes. We stayed one night and got no sleep because of the roosters that crowed all night outside the hotel. If you are thinking of staying here I would seriously reconsider.

• Stayed: July 2003
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St.Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
Reviewed 10 July 2003

Beautiful Grounds, But not a room could you secure. After being shown 4 rooms with every sliding door lock was broken, they showed us a room without a sliding door , but the shower curtain was thrown in the bath tub.We left and checked into Treasure Isle hotel which was very nice & safe.I was assured that I would not be billed at the CASTLE HOTEL, but they tried to slip it in 18 days later on my VISA.DO NOT STAY THERE!!!!!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Juan, PR
Reviewed 10 June 2003

Those animals are loud. Rooms need updating and better cleaning. Friendly bartender, though!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 March 2003

Looking for friendly staff, and clean room at a reasonable rate while waiting for that bare boat charter. Look no further. Stayed there for 1 night prior to our charter, and 2 nights when we returned. Met a great group of people staying there from Elder Hostel and had many great conversations with the bar tinder. The pool for an evening and morning swim was great. Oh and by the way, when the Rooster crows, tell me what you think he says. One lady from Elder Hostel thinks it's "Close the window." I think he's saying "It's another great day".RLS

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member