“Swim with dolphins”

Dolphin Discovery Tortola
Ranked #4 of 38 things to do in Road Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Discovery invites you to live the dream of swimming with dolphins in the Caribbean paradise of Tortola. We offer a range of programs for all ages, a family-friendly adventure you will never forget.
Shelton, Connecticut
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Swim with dolphins”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Don't be discouraged when you get there. It doesn't look anything like the brochures. However, it was a great experience to swim and play with the dolphins with their great trainers. Everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable and we all did have a great day there. Definitely worth the trip to Tortola from St. Thomas. It was only a half hour ferry ride. A little longer return because you have to stop in St. John's to go through customs.

Visited August 2014

Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Definitely worth it at least once”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I visited the Dolphin Discovery as an excursion of a cruise we were sailing on. As soon as we arrived, we were given life vests and watched a short video about how to interact with the dolphins. Before long, we were headed into the water. I was a little nervous as I did not know what to expect with the dolphins, but it turned out to be such a great afternoon! The trainers showed us the dolphin's tricks, and everyone had the opportunity to feed the dolphins treats after a trick, as well as to shake 'hands', kiss, and cradle the dolphins. Then, everyone was also given an opportunity to be towed by the dolphins by holding their fins, and then to ride on the dolphins by allowing them to push on your feet. We had so much fun! The trainers were all very funny, and very informative...you could tell they loved their job. As others have mentioned, the downside is that you cannot take any pictures on your own, and while their staff are taking plenty of pictures all along the way, the pictures are VERY expensive. But, it was such an interesting and unique experience, and we had so much fun doing it, that I would recommend it (and purchasing the pictures) at least once.

Visited September 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime experience but..............”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Recently did this as an excursion on a cruise. I was hesitant as I am not great in the water and wasn't sure about the actual living conditions of the dolphins but signed up anyway.

Must say that the trainer was patient and informative. I believe her name was Stephanie. There was a young boy in the tour who was shy and she worked so well with him to get him out of his shell. There was no shortage of time spent with the dolphins which was nice.

On the not so great side was being forced to purchase pictures because you weren't allowed to bring your camera. Of course you want to see yourself with the dolphins since you paid so much for the experience but you couldn't get away without spending at least $99.00.

I am still not sure of the overall care and condition of the dolphins and that will guilt me for some time. Myself wants over their need to truly be free in the waters.

Visited June 2014
DolphinDiscovery, Social Media Affiliate at Dolphin Discovery Tortola, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hello, thank you for visiting Dolphin Discovery in Tortola. We're happy to hear that you had a once in a lifetime experience with dolphins, we really do take very seriously all travelers point of view. We want to share with you we are certificated by IMATA (International Marine Animal Trainers Association), an association dedicated to advancing the human care and handling of marine animals by fostering communication between professionals that serve marine animal science through training, public display, research, husbandry, conservation and education, our dolphins are trained by positive reinforcement. Thank you for give us your feedback, we appreciate it. We hope that you comeback to visit us again.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Not cheap, but a wonderful experience”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We purchased the trip from Thomson Cruise. It covered the transport to the dolphin centre, on a comfortable coach, which was only about 15 minutes :)
On arrival we were given the safety talk, asked if we wanted to upgrade to include a dorsal fin pull or a foot push for extra cost and split into groups, issued with good flotation jackets and each group went to a separate sea pool. Those not swimming with the dolphins went to an observation area at the side of the pools. This allowed them to watch, take photos etc.
The pools are connected directly to the sea.
Once in the pool, we lined up on a metal grid, (not the most comfortable thing to stand on, but it is needed), and our guide called the dolphin over.
The experience proper started with the dolphin being asked to swim along the line, so that everyone could stoke it. This was the star of the dolphin displaying its character, it cheated!
It missed the end couple of people. The guide however, made sure that everyone got the full benefit of the experience and it just added an extra little amusement to the whole thing.

By this point it was evident that we wanted the maximum from the event and I asked to upgrade to the other two swims. Sorted in a flash :)

Now was the time for the 'Dolphin Kiss'
This is fun to do and funny to watch, each of us got time alone with the dolphin holding it gently under its beak and kissing it!!

At this stage one of the visitors admitted that she was not happy with being in the deep water. No problem, the guides just organised for her to go to a different group where she could be helped by a guide and get the full experience still.

Next up is the 'dance', where we separated ourself from the group and stood vertically in the water touching the dolphin's pectoral fins, whilst she 'stood' on her tail with us.

A little more interaction and then the grand finale! We each took a turn swimming out to the end of the pool, where the dolphin flipped upside down so that we could hold the pectoral fins and be pulled, belly to belly, through the water.
That concluded the standard experience, all but looking at the photos and buying if you wanted to.

We changed pools for the additional stuff. This time we had two dolphins with us.
First off was the dorsal fin pull, with both dolphins. Awesome! It starts to show just how powerful swimmers they are.

The real grand finale, of course, is the foot push. One dolphin pushes against the sole of each foot, you raise your arms and up you go, just like the dolphin shows. The higher you raise your arms the higher out of the water you go. Do it right and for a few seconds you are travelling with just your feet in the water! This is beyond awesome.

Throughout the photographers do a great job of capturing the various elements of the experience.
These are an extra cost, but to my mind well worthwhile.

Overall this was a really enjoyable experience, which I am happy to recommend to anyone. Including those not happy in deep water or non swimmers, just speak to the guides and they will ensure you still get the most out of it :)

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Alan-and_Liz_Yorks
DolphinDiscovery, Social Media Affiliate at Dolphin Discovery Tortola, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello, thank you for visiting Dolphin Discovery Tortola and taking time to share your experience, we're happy to hear that you had a great time with dolphins, you can be sure that we're going to let General Manager know about your comments in order to improve our service. Thank you for give us your feedback, we appreciate it. We hope that you comeback to visit us in your next vacations to enjoy another good time with dolphins, they're just amazing!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun! A must do!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was vacationing in Tortola for the week and was excited to check out Dolphin Discovery and interact with dolphins for the first time. I had a great time doing something new and the trainers were very knowledgeable. I would recommend this to anyone!

The only downside to the day was that I got, what I believe to be, jellyfish stings. With the the movement of the water I brushed into the fence next to the platform. I felt an immediate sting but the trainers just kept saying that it was a skin reaction to the algae in the fence. My skin proceeded to welt up in different spots and bruise while burning, however, all they would say is it was from the algae with no concern that a paying customer was in pain. After the session they did give me gauze soaked in vinegar to put on my skin. (If looked up, This is also something recommended for jellyfish stings...hmm?) In my opinion I believe that they know it was not simply algae but it sounds better than saying it was possibly a jellyfish. I just feel like it is better to be honest about the possibilities in case a customer has a more severe reaction.

But again, overall the dolphin part of the experience was wonderful and should definitely be checked out!

Visited June 2014