“Destinations Weddings”

Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Hi we are Dan & Dianne,
We began this trip with the unexpected and missing baggage. So, to meet someone like Doug (Mgmr.) at Fort Recovery was just what we needed. Doug is great, so positive never a negative word or thought. Great Customer Service Plus. The staff at the Hotel are so nice, the rooms are clean and comfortable. Food is great and plentiful. If you want to have fun and you need someone who can set you up, this is the place. Nothing is to big for Doug from fishing to weddings or chilling to scuba. All problems melt away and relax is the word of the day. My wife and I attend a wedding of our nephew. There were twenty five, 26 something year old's in the wedding that blew it up (party like you have no mother). Sixty nine total family and friends stayed for the event and every need was met. Be prepared for mosquitoes, if you are not Doug has got you covered. We have traveled a lot and we rate this stay perfect!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dan P

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We just returned from 2 weeks on a charter boat in the BVI. We needed a place to stay for our last night before leaving for the airport early the next morning. After studying trip advisor reviews, I chose Fort Recovery.

We were terribly disappointed. Although the room seemed renovated and was fine, the rest of the property was very rundown and dirty. Not anything like the photos on the website. The restaurant was also very disappointing--slow service, very limited menu. Again very rundown and not clean.

This place would have some rustic charm, if it were maintained. It was probably very charming in its earlier years. I would not recommend it to anyone expecting anything above a 2star experience. I don't understand the outstanding reviews--we normally find trip advisor ratings to be very reliable and consistent with our experiences.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank DebSuder
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed for 3 nights with my girlfriend in April 2012 - we had a great experience and found it to be charming. The chef was excellent and we saw a ton of sea life right from the beach.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Will_M_1985
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This was my second stay after a week on a sailboat. All my siblings and their spouses joined me on this cruise and most of us stayed on to spend a few days at Fort Recovery. Four of us had stayed there previously in January 2010 and six of us January 2012. For all of us, it's the place to stay while in Tortola.

We love that it's a bit secluded, quiet and understated. We all stayed in ground floor cottages (same as last trip), steps from the beach. The views, sunrises and sunsets are breathtaking. Love that there's a full kitchen and eating area in proximity to sitting room to take advantage of the view. Also love how they're decorated (sort of a quirky elegance and very cool island feel). All was spotless, well-tended and well-equipped.

Had dinner there one evening, as we did last visit, and it was beautifully prepared, beautifully served and delicious. Had dinner one evening in cottage with leftover provisions from sailing -needed a couple of items and Douglas and the kitchen staff couldn't have been more accommodating as was all the staff we encountered...always gracious, always pleasant.

We're already planning our trip back.

Thank you again for making this small family reunion memorable beyond words.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Min L
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We came back to Fort Recovery after ten years. Stayed in a renovated older suite since stairs are a problem for us. As wonderful as we remembered. We were there the first two weeks in February before the crowds came. Doug took incredible care of us, even personally delivering dinner to our suite when the dining room was not open. The food was great. He was always able to give my husband a delicious vegetarian meal. The staff was exceptional - better than anywhere else in the world we have visited. It was a great, relaxing two weeks.

Room Tip: some rooms had better Wi-Fi than others. That's probably been corrected since our visit.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LPD60823
Reviewed 15 May 2012

It was a fabulous vacation from the staff to the rooms. My room was extra clean and the beach was given extra care and attention. They have an excellent small snorkeling reef. The water at the beach was calm and luxurious. The staff was wonderful, from the cleaners to the gardeners, who gave me fresh coconuts so I could have fresh coconut water cocktail right from the coconut tree. That really made my trip.

Doug and Pam were very accommodating. The rooms were spotless and the beds were very comfortable. The food at Fort Recovery was delicious and the desserts sublime. The view was beautiful.

They accommodated my bad knees. They put me on the first floor where I could walk right out on the beach from my beautiful little patio, that was shielded from the sun. I was 20 steps from the beach. I recommend Villa #2 for anyone who has any painful disabilities or problems with walking.

Eugene, at Smugglers Cove makes the best cocktails. He helped me in and out of the water when I needed it, I remember him and his gracious service from a prior trip. He was one of the reasons I returned. The life guards helped me, too. Smugglers Cover is only 10 minutes away and is very private. Some days I was the only person there. It could get a little more crowded (up to 6 couples). It was picturesque and beautiful. I looked at the beach and almost cried.

Eugene noticed I spent a lot of time in the water, he was right. I did so because I enjoyed it so very much. I had to put on my aqua shirt to make sure I did not get burnt by the third day, because I spent so much time soaking up the sunshine.

I really needed a vacation to relax and this really did the trick. I would go back in a heartbeat!!!

Room Tip: I recommend Villa #2 for anyone who has any painful disabilities or problems with walking.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank JaneDuPont
Reviewed 12 May 2012

From the moment we arrived until the moment we departed, we truly felt welcome and 'at home' at this lovely hotel. It was as though we were visiting friends rather than staying with strangers. Everyone... from the gracious owner, to the sweet girls who tidied up our room daily... was a pleasure to meet. Doug was a wealth of information for anything and everything we needed to know about the island, surrounding islands, things to do... even down to THE best cab driver, Valentine, who gave us a magnificent tour of the island with its rich history... sprinkled with some local folklore. And we can't say enough about the accommodations... the room, the view, the food, the service... we have never had better, honestly. To hear the waves coming ashore all night long, to wake up to the breathtaking view of the sunrise over the mountains, to watch the boats sailing peacefully across the water while the seagulls (and often a pelican) gathered on the rocks... it was ALL a little piece of heaven... and all from our front porch! We snorkeled steps from our room to see fish as if we were swimming in an aquarium. We floated our troubles away in the calm, peaceful, crystal clear water. We took day trips to other islands... with Anegada being our favorite. And we shopped for whatever we needed just down the road in Road Town. Ft Recovery is a gem... a place you have to experience to appreciate these words. Thanks to each and every one of you there for making our stay a wonderful experience and for fueling our desire to return. :0) Best to all of you, Annabel and Matt

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#13 of 25 in Tortola

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!