“2 night stay at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa's”

Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 7 February 2009

Just returned from absolutely killer Moorings sailing vacation preceded by a 2 nite stay at Fort Recovery. This was our first time in the BVI and Fort Recovery was the only hotel that met our parameters (pool and beachfront) that we found. More of a suite than a just a room was very clean and faced that incredible blue water. Continental breakfast included. Not luxurious by any standard but very comfortable with a full kitchen. Staff was friendly and attentive. Manager Pamelah seemed to be there 24 hours a day and always available. Only hiccups were, upon arrival there was no evidence of our reservation (we had a confirmation #). There was room at the inn however and this was remedied quickly. But if there was no room, I suspect there could have been an issue. Our 2 nite stay with 2 dinners @$35 each (gratuity included) plus a late checkout fee of $35 along with all of the ancillary taxes amounted to a smidgen over $900. Having never been to Tortola before perhaps that is the going rate. Will shop around more next time but if these rates are comparable, We will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ggrLouisville_Ky

Reviewed 1 February 2009

We had a wonderful time at Fort Recovery on a business trip that we expanded into a vacation as well. We knew we were in good hands when our ferry from St. Thomas was delayed over 2 hours and we arrived an hour after the restaurant normally stopped taking dinner orders. The staff told us to submit our order late, then delivered it to our room at no extra charge--a perfect start to a blissful getaway!

Another nice touch: While there are no phones in the suites, at check-in we were given a local cell phone with reasonable rates. The staff were also terrific about getting local phone messages to us. And our own US cell phones worked just fine, because the resort is directly across the channel from a cell phone tower on St. John's.

We stayed in a one-bedroom superior suite: a bedroom, tiled bath, and large combination living room/kitchenette with a wall of doors opening to a very private porch, well-shaded and well-screened from our neighbors. The suite was decorated in bright colors and featured original local artwork--a nice touch. It was stocked with paperbacks and local magazines and guides--another nice touch. The suite was immaculate, with all linens changed daily. The kitchenette had a small fridge and microwave, and there was an excellent-quality TV. Instead of a table, the kitchenette had a tiled peninsula with two seats positioned to look out over the water.

Our porch was perhaps 10' from the water's edge, and the view from every suite is incredible--a panoramic view of St. John across the Sir Francis Drake Channel. We had a wonderful time watching the changing light and the boats, yachts, and cruise ships passing by. A small sand beach is steps away.

Fort Recovery has a simple complementary continental breakfast from 7-11 each morning: coffee, tea, orange juice, bagels, and a great homemade sweet bread. You help yourself and either eat there or take it back to your room and enjoy it on your private porch. Full breakfasts are available for about $13. Very nice fixed-price dinners (a great value at $35) are served in the evening, with soup, an entree (fish, steak, etc.) plus sides, rolls, beverage, and dessert. You place your order by 6 PM, state the time you'd like it served, and state whether you'd like to eat in the restaurant or in your suite.

What we loved best about Fort Recovery--beyond its amazing location right on the water--is the lowkey vibe. This is not a place where people come to flaunt their expensive resort clothes--it's a T-shirt and shorts place, which was just what we were looking for. We felt that staying here helped us get to know Tortola and its people much more than if we've stayed at a fancier place. Fort Recovery offers some activities (yoga and boating are two examples), but overall it's very quiet and relaxed--perfect if your idea of a perfect vacation is curling up with some good books or spending quiet time with someone you care about.

The resort is not within easy walking distance of any other restaurants or attractions, and it doesn't serve lunch, so a rental vehicle is a good idea. We rented from Jerry's, and he was great--he picked us up at the resort to take us to his office just down the road. A big advantage of this resort is that it is a short, flat drive to both Road Town and Soper's Hole in the West End (both have restaurants, shops, boat rentals, and ferries). Any other resorts on Tortola can't be reached without numerous hair-raising hairpin turns on steep mountain roads--very difficult in the rain or at night.

Fort Recovery has European-style rather than American-style amenities. Small packets of shampoo are provided but no hair dryer and no coffee or condiments in your room. If you want coffee, just walk over to the dining room anytime from 7-11 AM, or stock up--there is a coffee maker in the suite.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
7  Thank Lin0515
Reviewed 31 January 2009

My husband and I chose fort recovery as our honeynoom destination. The booking process was easy and Pamelah was wonderful to deal with. Since we brought our 3 year old son, accomidations were made for him and a rental car with a carseat was waiting upon our arrival. When we arrived to Fort Recovery, we were amazed with the beauty of the property. The vegitation and tropical flowers made us feel like we were in a tropical paradise(and we were!). We were kindly greeted by Anita, Pamelah and Matt when we arrived, and were taken to our beautiful suite. We stayed in a 2 bedroom which had a full kitchen with brand new stainless steel appliances. The rooms were tastefully decorated, reflecting the feel of the beautiful island. The view of the ocean from these villas is breathtaking! It truly looks like a postcard sitting on your patio! the sunrise and sunset in my opinion was the best view on the island!
As soon as we settled in we decided to eat at the restaraunt, which was private and romantic during the evening hours. Our meals were wonderful, we ended up eating there many of the 10 nights we stayed.
There is an exquisite beach house that is partially secluded of the property. This house was more beautiful than anything we have ever seen in any magazine. If you are reading this review trying to decide on staying in that house, DO IT!! :)
The staff at Fort Recovery was very pleasant, and made us feel like we were family. The housekeeping staff would pleasantly greet us each time we passed, and Perfecto liked to entertain our son. The beach was perfect for swimming, relaxing, snorkeling, and just having fun. There were plenty of nice, comfortable beach chairs, and the sand was perfectly raked each morning. My favorite part of the trip was to wake up early and watch the beautiful sunrise. It was so peaceful and quiet.
The boat trip was absolutely amazing. The boat is huge and it has a living room downstairs. This was appealing to us because our son was able to go down there to nap so we could enjoy snorkeling. We went for an unforgettabe lunch on the Willy T, and saw some of the most amazing fish and coral we have ever seen in all of our travels.
The dining is fantastic in tortola as well. Fort Recovery is located in a perfect spot, and is extremely close to some really good food! I would reccomend staying at Fort Recovery to anyone, any age! We are planning on going back for our Anniversary, and hopefully making it a yearly tradition. We would like to thank everyone there for such a perfect and memorable honeymoon!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank NyDkny
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I booked my stay at Fort Recovery after winning the trip on an auction site and getting what I consider a very good rate. Pamelah was great to deal with, helped us get our trip set up and then was totally flexible when we had to change our dates. Generally we found the property quite nice. There's a small beach, pleasant pool, dining room, small gym, and the grounds are well maintained. We found the hotel staff unfailingly pleasant and helpful. We were in one of the standard rooms (penthouse 4), and if I had paid full price I would not have been very pleased. The standard room we were in was fairly small, with sort of old, plain furnishings. The a/c worked, but it was loud. Sometimes you can't help but wonder why a hotel doesn't just update certain things, if they are SO awful and here's an example. The little table on the porch is metal, rusted over every inch, painted black, just terrible looking, and so easy to replace. The shower is so small you cannot turn around, and cannot help but get the bathroom floor wet. Not the end of the world, but not great either. Well the first night we put most of our food in the fridge, but left some sealed items on the counter. In the morning it looked like a mouse got into our stuff. We moved it higher and moved more into the fridge. The next night my husband heard the mouse, went out and found a rat carrying off our food. That's sort of a deal breaker for us. We're not squeamish, just have to draw the line somewhere, and we draw it at rats. We spoke to management who first offered to have someone try and catch the rat, and move us if they could not. We thought about it and decided we really didn't want to stay in that room and they agreed to move us without any argument. We paid the fee for an upgraded room (superior room) in a different building and from there we had a totally different experience.

My strong advice is definitely consider staying at Fort Recovery (I'd go back anytime), but not in the standard room. The superior room was much larger, had better a/c, better lighting, new furniture, larger shower, nice patio furniture, watchable TV. No rats. For the difference in price, we were sorry we didn't just take the superior room from the beginning. But we were also a little surprised how different the rooms are, they could be on different resorts. Anyway, we had no problems with the superior room and throught it was a good value.

Some other thoughts...
Free wi-fi was great. Love the used books everywhere (we left one of ours, took one). Loved the friendly dogs and cat. The continental breakfast was a nice touch. There's not a ton of choice, but a nice basic way to start the day.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mgreene
Maniram, Owner at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2009

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks about our New Beachfront villa suites. We are always delighted that our guests are so pleased with our accommodations.
Our Beachfront Deluxe Villa Suites on the ground floor have been renovated in 2008, proving to be very similar to our Superior Villas. These guests were in our Penthouse Suites, which are scheduled to be renovated this coming summer, 2009.
The incident that occurred with our guests, which we promptly moved to the new villas, is truly a rare one, in lieu of the fact that we have exterminating services two times per month.
Blooming coconut trees can attract critters; however we do keep removing the coconuts for that reason, and donate them to vendors in Road Town that sell coconut water. The coconuts are frequently shared amongst our guests and also made into homemade coconut bread.
We are truly sorry, that even though this was a rare incident that our guests had to be inconvenienced and disturbed by this rare occurrence.
As far as the renovations of the six Standard Penthouses, we will be gutting and expanding the bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms making very large showers and replacing all the furniture with an up to date modern style.
I would like to say once more how sorry I am that this occurred, and thank them for enjoying our New Superior Beachfront Villas.

Reviewed 12 January 2009

Pamelah and the staff at Fort Recovery work very hard to make each guest feel special. The property itself is in a beautiful location, on the relatively quiet West End of Tortola with a small white sand beach just for hotel guests. There is an EXCELLENT restaurant on site, which serves continental or American breakfast and a wonderful dinner, featuring fresh fish and other treats. Massage therapy and yoga are also offered at the hotel and we highly recommend getting a massage while on your trip. We stayed in the 3-bedroom villa, which was nicely equipped and very clean, with Ralph Lauren linens on the beds. Any problems we had were very minor (showers could use some more water pressure and the taxi service to and from Road Town was friendly but expensive). All things considered, a very good place to stay!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank rockthevote
Reviewed 14 December 2008

This lovely property is one of our top 5 of anyplace we've ever stayed on any vacation anywhere!

Our penthouse was on the second flor and had a porch overlooking the ocean, which was no more than 20 feet away. It faced the west so the sunsets were amazing! The bed was very comfortable and the bedroom was air conditioned. Our porch was where we spent the majority of our time. Talking, sipping Sebastian's rum, getting into vacation mode....very nice. The atmosphere at Ft. Recovery is wonderful

A continental breakfast was included, but we chose to eat on our porch most mornings. Their restaurant takes orders throughout the day and has you put a time you want to eat dinner on your order. You then eat in the restaurant, inside or outside, or take it to go. We didn't use this service, but heard from other guests it was great. The small and very cold pool was where we spent some of our time. Becky, the property dog, was fun and playful, but when she got too persistent, we told her to "go home" and she would leave.

Overall, I would highly recommend this property for anyone wanting a quiet, romantic, oceanfront getaway.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bips
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I travel extensively around the the world for work and rarely submit feedback, but after reading several negative (and positive) reviews , I felt compelled to share my experiences from a year ago at Fort Recovery.
First of all, who cares if Pamelah added the 'h' to her name - seems so totally irrelevant to me, even if she is 'odd' (again - so what?). I found Pamelah to be helpful and supportive and understanding that I was there to work and her knowing the island, was able to predict better than I what my needs would be (such as the cell phone at a nominal cost, trying to convince me to rent a car -which I initially refused, but ended up doing) and so on...)
The beach is totally adequate. I briefly snorkeled around the 'breakwater' and saw many interesting things (such as sea urchins and a HUGE puffer-fish) even though the water was rough that day. It isn't a super long beach with totally turquoise waters, but I found it did the trick and I consider myself to be an ocean/beach expert as I grew up on a white sand beach. The sand is clean and the water clear.
I ate one meal at the restaurant and although it was a year ago, I don't remember anything totally offensive about it (nor do I remember anything spectacular). I eat in restaurants eight months of the year and was married to a chef, so I don't think it is just that I'm not 'picky' - if it were awful I would have remembered. The breakfasts were pretty skimpy and carb-heavy, but I believe it was included, so although it may have been less than the full continental that was advertised, it was free.
I did have a pedicure and was disappointed with it. For me it just wasn't worth the cost, so I would recommend steering clear of this service.
One thing I didn't mention to the management and in hindsight probably should have, is that due to the fact that the coconuts weren't removed from the trees, one fell off and put a pretty nasty dent in the roof of the rental car. Not their fault, but perhaps could have been prevented with a little pro-activeness, but this may have been a totally rare event (in fact I am willing to bet it is)!
Fort Recovery is nowhere near the nicest place I have stayed, but it is even further from the worst. I remember feeling satisfied with the rates, the service, the location. Was everything described perfectly? No. But, I have never stayed at a hotel that doesn't try their best to entice people to stay there by fluffing up their descriptions.
As an aside, I have chosen to try another location for my next trip to Tortola. If I am not thrilled with this location, I will definitely return to FR. I have also stayed at establishments right in Road Town and they were atrocious compared to FR!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Beef Island
Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
#4 of 13 in Road Town

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!