Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Fort Burt Hotel(Road Town)
US$255
US$109
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Sea View Hotel(Road Town)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsliving roomwest endvirgin gordaprivate beachsoper's holeboat tripbig housecell phonehome away from homejost van dykeheaven on earththe sir francis drakehousekeeping stafflaid backbareboat charteranitaft
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We LOVED Ft Recovery! My best friend and I went together and took the "couple" special. We met some of our friends there, and had a great reuinion.
The food is awsome!
The accomadations are very nice, right on the waterfront. We sat and had our tea watching the sail boats go by. The small beach is perfect for children and two ole ladies like us. I would go back in a heartbeat! I hope to take my whole family next time. And we love Tortola, the people are so genuinely friendly. If you go, lookup Capt Paul Thomas at the WestEnd marina and daysail with him. Tell him the "girls from Colorado" sent you.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank MaryTerye
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My wife and i spent a week at Fort Recovery and were impressed by the realxed atmosphere and helpful staff. The room was very nice and the beach was a matter of steps away from our room and never crowded. We enjoyed the restaurant once for dinner and went to different restaurants on the island every day. The hotel staff arranged a rental car for us and we explored beautiful Tortola and its very nice beaches. A great vacation was had by us

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank posiu
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Spent three days at Ft. Recovery and really enjoyed it. The suite was clean and nicely furnished. Our suite was on the beach which they keep maintained. Pamelah does everything in her power to make your stay work. We had a problem with rental car reservations with a national car rental company and she was able to provide us with another vehicle at a better price—you need wheels if you plan to see any of the island. They were very concerned that we enjoy our stay. There were no mice, by the way, lots of very cute lizards outdoors, but no mice. And Sally, the cat, will probably take care of any who do show up. Dining is on the outdoor veranda and is very pleasant. We had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sewbee
Reviewed 22 May 2009

First of all, I 100% agree with the review written by RosmiBuenosAires on April 16th, 2009. His review is spot on and my wife and I shared an almost identical experience back in February.

Fort Recovery has so much potential, the views are stunning, but sadly the lack of amenties both in and immediately surrounding the property, and the appalling lack of customer service skills in the staff make this hotel a very expensive mistake for us.

In all the travels I have done, I have NEVER been asked to pay the full balance at the time of arrival. In retrospect, I now know why they do that, because after one hour of being on the property there is no way I would have paid them anything.

The lodging and hospitality industry is a customer service industry. Sadly Fort Recovery has no appreciation of this.

For the purpose of this review, I will simply copy/paste the letter I wrote to to the authorities in BVI:

------------------------------------
We made a reservation at Fort Recovery for 5 nights, beginning Monday, February 23rd 2009, and departing Saturday, February 28th. The nightly rate was USD$400, of which I paid the first night upfront at the time of booking on November 25th, 2008.

Upon arrival at Fort Recovery, I was asked to immediately pay the remaining $1600 before I had seen our room or experienced the property. The remaining balance of $1600.70 was charged to my credit card.

The property and service was far from the level we were expecting, especially considering a nightly rate of US$400. Specifically:

1) The quality of the room was below average. The bed sheets were threadbare, the blanket on the bed was dirty and the bathroom had mold in the shower. There was no in-room safe and the room backed on to a main road which had heavy traffic (including trucks) late into the night.

2) The restaurant service was also below average. Upon arrival (at 6pm) we were immediately told that if we wanted dinner we would have to first select from a basic menu and then come back at 7.30pm to eat it. The staff member in the “restaurant” was rude, unhelpful and did not make for a relaxing dining experience. The next morning, the breakfast was far from a ‘continental breakfast’. They had run out of basic ‘continental breakfast’ items (orange juice, fruit preserve and decaffeinated coffee). The only food available was toast, with or without peanut butter.

3) Upon arrival I asked if I could purchase a snack for my pregnant wife (who was hungry). I was told there was nothing available and we couldn’t eat our restaurant meal until 7.30pm. Eventually someone showed up to our room with some grapes and ‘plastic’ cheese. We were not given a tour of the facility, instead the gentleman who showed us to our room was more consumed with a grocery list that another member of staff was asking him to go out and purchase.

Between the unsatisfactory condition of the room, the unprofessional and rude attitude of the staff, and the comparatively high room rate, we decided to leave the following morning. I raised these issues with the hotel management and requested a refund on the $1600. She initially gave the impression that they would be able to partially refund me, however in the end they offered absolutely nothing to compensate (except calling me a taxi).
-------------------

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank britnyc
Maniram, owner at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2009

Our sincere apologies to our expectant parents. We had a meeting with our staff after your review, and went over again about the importance of extending ourselves to please our customers. I am also sorry your expectation of our payment policy, which is thoroughly acknowledged in the Islands was misunderstood. I am only repeating this because in all hotels they take your card number in advance, which assures them of the credibility of your credit card and protects their customer as well. We had occasions that the credit cards were denied or falsified. Please also note the confirmation received, clearly stated the amount of the hotel balance was due upon arrival and was non-refundable.
With guests flying in from San Juan, in case of any delays, we offer an advance dinner order, delivered to the privacy of their villa for their arrival at whatever time it may be, this they decided not to do. The reason why the restaurant could not accommodate them before 7:30pm was because we were filled up for the 7:00pm seating. Another unfortunate problem was that our guests came in at 6:00pm asking for a snack and the restaurant was not available to do so at that time. However, understanding the urgent needs of our guest, we were able to find imported Carr crackers, cheese (cut cheddar from a wheel), fresh grapes, cookies and a beverage. I know that they probably wanted a meal especially after traveling, but we had little control of getting that for them any earlier than available. Upon investigating their experience at the restaurant we made note of it and talked to the staff about the rudeness, being unhelpful and not making it a relaxing dining experience. The immediate staff was quite surprised and was not aware of any mishap, however we did not charge them anyway. The only thing we can attest to was the continental breakfast. We never ran out of most items including orange juice, fruit preserve, decaffeinated coffee, butter, and three types of coffee breads. Upon investigating, one of our guests who is a fanatic of peanut butter requested it to be on the counter. We haven’t served it before that or after that. We just extended that for our guest in the effort to accommodate them.
The specific room the couple was referring to was a penthouse villa suite, built less than 2 ½ years ago. It was not one room, but consisted of a good sized patio, a 14 x 28 sized living room; which they acknowledged was “good”, a master bedroom 14 x 20 and master bathroom. Our places have been acknowledged as one of the best designed accommodations (Architectural Design, 2007) and all of our bed sheets are Ralph Lauren; never thread bare and always over 300 thread count. Our housekeeping staff has been commended as our trip advisor reviews have shown. However, it is possible that someone somewhere could have goofed up, so I can only comment once more to say how sorry that this happened.
They took pictures of the bathroom, misinterpreting mold for a contrasting grout in the fully tiled bathroom. They also took pictures of the sheets that did not show in any way “thread bare” standards. Incidentally it does show one of Ralph Lauren’s popular sheets. The picture of the road is in the back with a ten foot wall, and not a populated highway. It is a two lane road that goes from East End to the West End. The quality of the pictures posted show a ripple making it appear crude and rough, completely different from any other pictures seen.
I am sorry since they were upset about the rate. They were offered another villa and a credit of $1600 to be used against a further stay. We do hope they will take us up on our offer in order to make up for any inconvenience that we may have unintentionally exposed them to.

Reviewed 6 May 2009

We have just returned from a 2 week trip to the British Virgin Islands & spent our first week at Fort Recovery (14th to 21st April). As an obsessed fan of Trip Advisor I spent hours researching where we were going to stay & once again T/A was of great help to me.We last visited Tortola 12 years ago & stayed at Long Bay which is the only resort I could find on offer through British travel agents & we knew we didn't want to stay there again.After some internet searches I dwindled the choices down & after a couple of informative direct phone calls with the helpful Pamelah we booked our stay, & Pamelah also kindly took over the jeep hire for us.Just before we left the UK I checked some of the more recent reviews & was then filled with apprehension when I read about mice, scruffy towels,torn bed linen & falling coconuts so I was preparing myself for some minor problems & was happier to feel forewarned.
We landed at Beef Island later than planned but thankfully the Hertz lady had waited for us & once the paperwork was complete we were soon negotiating the dark road to Fort Recovery.Thankfully the roads aren't busy & of course the speed limit is low & 40 mins later we pulled into FR.I must admit a better sign for the property & /or an advertising sign 100yds beforehand (from either direction) would be gratefully appreciated!
Pamelah was there to welcome us & show us to our top floor suite (16) & our pre -ordered food & drinks all laid out for us. Now this is the part where my Hubby tends to hold his breath until he knows I'm happy with the room, & I can't deny I'm pretty fussy, have high expectations ,& have been fortunate to stay in some wonderful places around the world.All that said our room was one I'd seen pictures of on TA & I was very pleased with the size of the bedroom & well kitted out ample lounge.There was plenty of storage space for our clothes etc, the bathroom size was fine but in need of a little bit of TLC (if you looked very hard so I didn't !) & we settled in for our weeks stay.We both slept well in the comfy bed (very important as we both have back problems) & the best bit for us was the fantastic views we had from our balcony which we never tired of & I only wish you could bottle!
We are more used to staying in hotel rooms than self catering units but made good use of the fridge by stocking if with breakfast food & wine & beer to enjoy at our leisure out on that balcony with the view!! The breakfast that is included in the package ( coffee,tea ,orange juice & toast) isn't our idea of breakfast & we didn't want to order cooked breakfast either so we brought our own.
We found Pamelah helpful & happy to answer all our questions ,& thought the mobile phone she provides to guests a great idea as it gives you peace of mind should you find yourself in any difficulty.We only used it to make dinner reservations & a few fruitless calls to Hertz regarding 2 bulb failures of a brake light & indicator.They did fix the brake light but the indicator which we felt was very important wasn't fixed all week & we never even got a phone call back to let us know what was going on.On our next visit there we'd probably book through one of the local companies as I'm sure we'd get better service & a better price as the rental hire is very expensive out there. Regardless of cost you really do need a jeep so you can tackle the mind blowing steep hills & explore the lovely island.We visited some fantastic beaches (Smugglers,Brewers,Josiahs & Long Bay on Beef Island & were thrilled that they hadn't changed at all even after a 12 year gap and the almost daily visits of the cruise liners now.There were only a handful of people on any of them & they are all pure white sand & tropical blue seas-' Heaven.' You might be lucky to find an old discarded sunbed to use(you can rent at Brewers for $5) but its so refreshing to find glorious unspoilt beaches with hardly a soul on them, unbelievable really.We did some snorkelling at Smugglers & Brewers but it wasn't that good really & my husband didn't get round to diving until the following week when we stayed on Peter Island but we visted West End Divers at Sopers hole marina & found the guys very friendly & helpful.
Other than our first night when the food was very good we didn't eat at Fort Recovery as we preferred to go out & try other places.We had good meals at Sebastions on the Beach,Pisces restaurant at Sopers Hole marina,Cocopalms at Apple Bay but our best meal was at the BananaKeet cafe where the food/service/cocktails were great & its also a perfect place to watch the sunset as other reviewers have already stated.Another buzzy place was Myetts at Cane Garden Bay which we visited on our last night with a lovely couple Kim & Russell who we made friends with at FR. The setting on the beach is nice & some of the live music very good but we ended up at a table near the band which meant we couldn't hear each other & the service & food was just ok so if you do go make sure you reserve a good table away from the live music!
So back to FR, the beach isn't very big there & access into the sea where theres lots of sea grass was awkward but this didn't bother us as we only spent a few hours on it throughout the week & the view to the nearby peaks & other islands makes up for what it lacks. Also there is a small swimming pool if you want a dip.
I'm pleased to say we had no mice sightings or coconuts falling on our jeep & yes we did have a few not quite perfect towels & some well washed bedsheets (they change the sheets every 2 days which I personally don't find necessary) but it didn't bother me or affect my thoughts on the place.
Another plus was the laundry service they offer (which you always wish you'd known about before you packed the excess luggage) which was only $15 for a 'bagload' & we had no problem borrowing an iron from Pamelah.I wouldn't recommend you hand over your best new outfits as everything goes in a dryer but for everyday shorts & t-shirts etc its a godsend.
We also enjoyed our half day trip that was included in our package out on Fort Recovery's own Sunseeker when we visited The Caves off Norman Island & enjoyed very good snorkelling both there & at the Indians with a lunch on the famous Willy T (not included in package).
We took the ferry boats to Virgin Gorda & Jost Van Dyke & had great days on both. Virgin Gorda is famous for The Baths which is a stunning beach area with very good snorkelling & JVD is a lovely sleepy very laid back island with a beautiful sandy beached harbour & the famous Foxy's bar at the end of the beach where we had a delicious lunch admiring the stunning view.Don't miss out on these 2 special places.
So all in all we were very happy with our stay at Fort Recovery suites & considering the dollar isn't in our favour at the moment don't think it was bad value. Tortola isn't a cheap place to visit anyway & we were shocked at the prices the locals have to pay for food etc but in our opinion its all worth it as Tortola & the surrounding islands are a very special & stunningly beautiful part of the world .
One of our best memories is watching the Pelicans diving for fish whilst listening to the waves lapping the shore whilst we gazed at the lovely views from our balcony at Fort Recovery. Go & Enjoy!!!!
If there's any questions you want to ask me then please don't hesitate to contact me.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple