“quaint rustic old style Caribbean resort with great views”

Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Doesn't look like much on first impression, when you drive onto the property off a main road until you meet Pamela. the manager who is quite 'cool' and funky character. so immediately I felt at home. The resort is quite the opposite of these new over the top all inclusive, glitzy soulless establishments that seem to litter the entire Caribbean. The Fort Recovery is a real old fashion quaint charming resort. Pamela (quite a personality) greets you at the front office and gives you a 'run down' of the place and shows you where everything is
Our room was great, extremely clean and well appointed, quite large with a lovely balcony that seem to sit right over the sea. the views were wonderful and sounds of the sea was always audible. we happen to be there when there was quite a bit of heavy rain over a couple of days and it was so romantic and exciting to hear the rain on the sea and to sit on the balcony and marvel at the view. My boyfriend and I spent quite a bit of time our room during our stay there. and we were thoroughly comfortable and happy.
there is Yoga studio in the resort and although I am a keen yoga fan, I never got a chance to use use the studio. Pamela did assure me that Yoga classes were available everyday, if I'd just let her know in advance and I think it was free.
Another great thing was the location which was very convenient and central on the west end side of the Island, which is my favorite side, with easy access to popular spots on the island, like Sophers Hole, Cane Garden Bay, Apple Bay, etc
All in all I would thoroughly recommend Fort Recovery Beach Villas & Hotel. If you are looking for some place quaint, personable, discreet, and unpretentious, then this is the place.
there was only one little problem we had which was really not that serious, that was the mosquitos, which were a bit annoying. The hotel is right on the sea so it is reasonable that here should be mosquitos about.
Now that I know this place We would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sophista

Reviewed 18 January 2010

I stayed at Ft. Recovery in December 2009, I was meeting friends who were sailing around BVIs and they were ending their trip in Tortola. The hotel is very quaint, clean and well maintained. The ocean front setting was fabulous and the one bedroom "villa" efficiencies were perfect for a short or long stay. I made reservations by phone and spoke to Pamelah, the manager. She was very helpful and the booking went very smoothly. Upon arrival, Pamelah personally escorted me to my oceanfront villa and gave me great tips for adventures on the island. Pamelah and the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The on-site restaurant was perfect for breakfast and the pool and the grounds were beautiful. The location is about 4 miles from the center of Roadtown with easy access via taxi or jitney. There is a local grocery store about a five minute walk from the hotel. My only concern would be staying here in-season, at $250 per night off-season I found the "value for price paid" appropriate, but in-season rates jump up about 50%. Not sure I would stay here in-season given the higher rates. All in all, a perfect stay and I would recommend friend to stay here off-season. In season, you can find less expensive accomodations closer to town if you don't need the efficiency or resort atomosphere.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank NYCGL0BETROTTER
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My wife and I had a very nice time at Fort Recovery. Pamelah and her staff were excellent. The room and all the amenites were great. Our Villa was right on the beach. Just like we asked. Recommend you rent a car. The Island is great to explore, from Beef Island to Soper's Hole, West End, to hiking on Sage Mountain. We were there for a week and would recomment to anyone wanting to do something new and different. had a great time and cant wait to return.
Thanks Rick & Pearl

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ksheklassic
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Let me start off by saying we travel to the Caribbean often and usually opt for smaller, more quaint accommodations so we were not expecting a resort-type of atmosphere, nor did we want that.

Pamelah was great over the phone and in person, she created a custom package for us and was very nice. Our rental car died on the day we were leaving and she gave us a ride to the ferry in her own car.

First impressions were fine, Matt checked us in and showed us around. We were given a cell phone which was a first. We stayed in what they advertised as one of the "newer" Penthouse villas - the view from our balcony was absolutely GORGEOUS although there was nothing really new about the villa itself. I have to agree with some of the negative reviewers about the sheets - I wouldn't go so far to say they were threadbare but they had definitely seen one too many washes, same goes for the bath towels. The shower curtain looked like it hadn't been changed in months. One night I went to get into bed and found a huge dead bee under one of our pillows (some of which had a very musty smell) - our sheets had just been changed that same day too. We flicked it off to the floor expecting it to be swept up by housekeeping but the dead bee was still there when we returned to a "clean" room at the end of the next day. The door to our room had a visible crack in it and our refrigerator was on but did not cool. Based on all of this we did not bother asking for a room change as we were already a few days in and didn't think any of the other rooms would be drastically better as the sheets, housekeeping, etc would still be the same.

At night there is definitely not enough lights on the premises, I was always scared I was going to fall going down the steps or while walking around since the walkways are not paved and there are dips. There was a small light over the door to our villa but the fixture was half full of dead bees and therefore didn't really give off much light - I got goosebumps every time I looked at it - ick.

We only had dinner on the premises one night and it was delivered to our room and was very tasty - no compliants. However, we did opt to have a daily full breakfast included in our package. One woman from the breakfast staff was super friendly and I really wish I had her name so I could give her credit. The other however, not so much. Breakfast ended at 11 - we usually got there towards the end of service and received attitude because of it, yet we were always seated with our orders in before 11. One day she went so far as to lecture us and tell us that they are paid hourly and the chef leaves promptly at 11 so now she would have to be the one to cook us our breakfast! How is that our problem!? We got there before 11 - if there is a hard stop at 11 then breakfast should be advertised as ending at 10:30, not 11. I understand that is not in the staff's control but they should take the issue up with management not the guests!

We were given two beach towels in our room and told we had to change them ourselves when we wanted new ones - not a big deal. However, one morning when I went to change them there was no one there. I waited a bit and one of the staff came walking towards me - as she passed me to get my fresh towels, I said hi and she walked by, inches from me, as if I was not standing there! Annoyed, I said HI a little more loudly and she turned, gave me a look of death, and practically threw the towels in my arms.

The beach on the premises isn't all that great but we didn't care at all because there are gorgeous beaches close by (you do need a car). One part I have zero complaints about was the snorkeling excursion offered by Fort Recovery - the boat staff was very friendly and showed us a great time.

All in all, Tortola and it's neighboring islands were absolutely gorgeous and I would definitely return but definitely stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamie&Justin
Maniram, Owner at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2010

So sorry for any discomfort you may have had, and thank you for the praises of the view from our balcony. I was very surprised about the sheets being not up to par. It was actually a great help to me. I personally went into the utility head quarters and pulled out some of the sheets, pillow cases, and towels which were not up to our standard at all. We have many new sheets, pillowcases, and towels -- all Ralph Lauren that were not being utilized. I take all the blame for that. In spite of the fact that we were booked to the hilt, I assumed the housekeeping supervisor would have been more careful -quite an upset but rightfully so. According to housekeeping every time a guest checks in there is a fresh shower curtain.
Ah, the bees. There were 3 bees’ nests that we found after we heard they were there & the very next day we removed the hives. Really sorry. The only lovely thing was, we collected 5 huge jars of honey from them, not that I expect anyone would be happy about the intrusion.
Thank you for enjoying our restaurant and boat trip, we are proud of that. The beach towel procedure is as is because of the towels that get taken to the beach and not returned. This is not an intentional act, but it was happening so often we thought it might be a better method of remembering. I really hope you didn’t find this inconvenient.
I definitely called a meeting with the staff about any intentional rudeness. I rarely get these reports about the staff, however it can help if it is reminded by all to be polite and helpful to everyone all of the time.
The service business is what we all are in and it’s always good to be on top of everything you can. So thank you and hope to have another opportunity to prove that we can please you in every way.

Reviewed 27 December 2009

I stayed at Fort Recovery 12/2-12/7/09. I met Pamelah who was quite friendly and showed me around the property.
When I checked in I was provided with a cellphone (in coming calls are free) which was really helpful.
The suite was spacious with a kitchenette, living area, good-sized bathroom just off the bedroom.
My room (and all others far as I could see) face the sea. The views in the morning and evening were really nice. One can do a bit of snorkeling (make sure you have footwear as some spots a little rough) There is a pool, but given the chance to swim in the sea, I never used it :)
There is free coffee or one can opt for a paid breakfast (I didn't try it so I don't know what its like)
Because I had a friend who is from BVI as a tour guide, I was not able to make full use of the amenities like the spa, taxi, scuba trip bookings, etc. tho' Pamelah did make sure to let me know that they could provide these services.
I would recommend this place to any traveler looking for a serene and beautiful location to stay.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at FR and I'd love to go back with my husband very soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank ukblk
Reviewed 28 November 2009

We were down to Tortola to go to court and found Ft. Recovery to be an excellent resource for the business traveller. The manager Pamelah personally made sure our needs were met as to communications, meals, and transportation. You are not going to get that level of service at a more impersonal resort or hotel. The rooms were huge and if they were any closer to the ocean, you'd get wet. Definitely recommended. One tip - use the free WiFi to make a Skype call to your friends from your private balcony with the island of St. John in the background, very impressive.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank resistk1
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I may recommend this place to anybody who is looking for quiet, sunny beach and fantastic views. Sunrises and sunsets are amazing. I had an impresion that I was on my private beach. The staff is very helpful; there is no problem to order a red bus or taxi (taxis are relatively cheap) to tour Tortola or visit National Park. If you don't want to have a lunch on the spot there is well equiped supermarket 5 minutes on foot from the Hotel.
Adam from Warsaw, Poland

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!