“Amazing Resort, Beautiful Accommodation”
Review of Frenchmans

Frenchmans
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My mother and I took a girls' vacation to Tortola in mid-February and stayed at the most amazing resort at Frenchman's Cay. We stayed in the Candy Apple Villa, which was a spacious and beautifully decorated suite, providing air conditioning in each room, two private bedrooms with ensuite facilities and large and very comfortable beds, a full living room, dining room, and modern kitchen. Each of the three floors in the villa have large balconies, all with a view of the beach and islands. Each morning we had an excellent gourmet breakfast at the restaurant, which had a very friendly and professional staff. The menu for lunch and dinner offers a variety of dishes, ranging from delicious French to Korean cuisine. Below the restaurant is a lounging area with a swimming pool just a few steps from the beach. The beachfront extends to point with a beautiful view of the harbour and islands, and the private beach provides guests with cabana covered lounges for comfort. This was one of the best vacations I have experienced which is greatly attributed to having such amazing accommodations. I highly recommend this resort to couples, friends, and family.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Nancy T

Reviewed 23 February 2012

This was my fourth trip to the BVI's and my first stay but not my last at Frenchman's Hotel. The suite was a two bedroom air-conditioned, spacious and tastefully decorated accomodation. The view from all three balconies was spectacular. You could see water on three sides, the bay, out towards Virgin Gorda, and Roadtown, and off to the right was St. John's Island. I set the alarm each day just to watch the most wonderful sunsets. The staff were very courteous, helpful and prompt. For instance, we wished to go to Virgin Gorda, and they downloaded the ferry times for me. The breakfast was included and was fresh fruit, eggs, or mango pancakes. It was delicious, and the coffee superb. The dining room was quite large and located down by the water. The menu for the evening meals varied with differing specials. I would recommend the escargot, and the lobster dish. It was not only delicious, but just the right amount of food after a day snorkeling at their gorgeous beach, and taking in the marine life. The management greeted us upon arrival, and in our room was a personalized greeting to reiterated information on the pool, the tennis courts, and snorkeling, among some of the activities offered. Thank you again to the staff for making our stay such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank anntrick
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I spent our ten day honeymoon at Frenchman's earlier this month. I trusted the reviews found on this site and was not disappointed. In fact, Frenchmans is by far the best all around small "boutique" resort we have stayed. Upon late arrival we were met by Chris, the assistant manager, who showed us to Passion Fruit villa. The villa was roomy, clean, modern and perfect for every need we had. I tend to be a clean freak but I was so at home with a comfy bed to boot. The daily maid service did a great job: changed the sheets every. Few days, did our dirty dishes in the kitchen and even refreshed the flowers in the vases from their gardens a few time. The only two suggestions I would make is to trim some of the greenery blocking the oceqn view and give guests control over the air conditioning (set at 78 minimum, told by staff that it freezes up if it goes lower). The grounds are gorgeous and very well maintained. The beach and pool area were small, which we expected, but perfectly adequate with wonderful little covered cabana areas for private sunbathing NB: the resort is geared toward adults and the pool/beach area may be too small for families with children.
The staff maintains a perfect balance of helpfulness and discretion; always ready to make dinner reservations, massage appointments, day trips,etc. I would highly suggest the honeymoon package which included a small suv for the entire trip, dinner at The Dove, breakfast everyday, awesome catamaran snorkeling trip, picnic and champagne!

The restaurant was very good, the daily breakfast with sweet Lucilla was soooo delicious! The kitchens in the villa are perfect for cooking a few dinners "at home". This place truly felt like home after a few days and we are looking forward to bringing some friends and family back with us.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Erin R
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Frenchman's for two weeks between January and February this year and had a fantastic time. Our cottage was beautifully decorated and had all the amenities we could require, so we soon felt at home. Special mention should go to the beds, which are large and very comfy and the balconies which are perfect for relaxing on whilst having a drink or just enjoying the stunning view.

The setting for Frenchman's is wonderful and there are only around 9 cottages, so it feels very private. There's also a secluded beach with cabanas and a sea break has been added to create a small lagoon for swimming. Beyond the sea break there are also coral reefs, which made for some great snorkelling (snorkel and fins were provided in the cottage). Should you want to go scuba diving, I would recommend Blue Water Divers who took me out for several exciting dives. The staff at Frenchman's are very welcoming and made every effort to make sure we enjoyed our stay including recommendations for trips and activities. We rented a car for the duration of our trip to explore the island but Frenchman's is within walking distance of the shop's and restaurants of Soper's hole marina and the West End Ferry, which has services to various surrounding islands (a trip to the soggy dollar beach bar on Jost Van Dyke is a must)

Overall it was a brilliant holiday and I would heartily recommend Frenchman's as the place to stay in the British Virgin Islands.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank World_Traveller_4962
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from a ten day honeymoon around the BVI, and we spent the first three nights of our trip at Frenchmans. We did extensive research when choosing the three hotels we stayed at over the course of ten days, and because of the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, we jumped at the chance to stay here.

We were certainly not disappointed with the stunning views of the water, the lush tropical landscape, and the cozy bungalow that reminded me a little bit of summer camp (in a good way). The staff was also friendly and helpful when it came to arranging a jeep rental and a catamaran day trip to Norman Island.

The restaurant, however, left something to be desired. On our first night we decided to dine on site and were prepared to splurge on an expensive dinner. I am a vegetarian, so it is often difficult to find anything to eat at fine dining establishments in the Caribbean. Usually the chef will prepare something simple that I specifically request, such as pasta with grilled vegetables or risotto with vegetables. In any case, the only option I was given was the "vegetarian dish," which was not on the menu.

After trying to get a straight answer on what the dish actually consisted of, I eventually gave up and tried to just go with the flow. In hindsight, I should have been more persistent. The dish was essentially rice with tomatoes and olives accompanied by various forms of mashed vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas-yuk), tomatoes stuffed with olives, and a roll stuffed with... More mashed potatoes. Did I mention I hate olives? On a more positive note, my husband did enjoy his steak, the wine was surprisingly reasonable in price, and the ambiance couldn't be beat. We were also unimpressed with the daily breakfast, other than the mango pancakes, which were delicious. The coffee was great and the service was also pleasant.

Lastly, the air conditioners in the room don't go lower than 79-80 degrees (to prevent the AC from freezing up), and the mosquitoes are relentless, which together made it almost impossible for my husband to sleep comfortably. Be sure to bring bug spray if you decide to stay here.

Although there were many positive aspects of the property, I did not think the $500/night price tag matched the experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lbreneau
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My wife and I spent a week in Frenchmans, we stayed in Mango, the view was perfect and it is centrally located on the property. The beds were comfortable and the a/c worked great. Since there are only 9 villas on the property it is very quite, we ussually had the beach/ cabanas to ourselves, the breakfast was excellent, dinner was also very good. Karen and Lucilla took care of us all week in the restaurant! If you smile big enough you may get a hug from Lucilla. The snorkeling off the point is as good as it gets on the island, but do not try to come ashore or go out via the dock, it is very shallow and sea urchants are just below the surface of the water. Chris and Nadia did a great job scheduling our adventure package, we did a day sail to Norman island on the aristocrat and we went yoste van dyke for the Atv tour, we new we were in for an adventure when we were picked up at at ferry dock on a dingy boat to ride over to yoste van dyke! It was a fast wet ride on rough seas! Also, Nadia chartered a plane for us to go to anagada for the day, cow wreck beach was beautiful and the beach bar was an experience! One suggestion, if you get the picnic basket, ask for it when you check in, it will save you a few $ at the grocery store.

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank Colliervilletntravel
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My wife and I just got back from Frenchman's, and it was one of the nicest vacations we've ever had. (And we travel a LOT!) It didn't start out that well--they told us to call when we arrived, and they'd send a car--but when we called (at the agreed-upon hour), we got an answering machine, and had to make our own way to the resort. Then, when we got there (by overpriced cab), the person who failed to answer the phone was on his way to pick us up. When he eventually got back, he was less apologetic than one might like, and when we asked if we'd be reimbursed for the cab fare, he said he doubted it. (We were.) Upon checking out, we told the lovely Julisa that they should give out both the front desk # AND someone's cell phone # for new arrivals, and she said she thought that was a great idea, and that she'd let management know. Let's hope they do.

Anyway--after that inauspicious start, things turned around in a hurry. The place is gorgeous, immaculate, and convenient. We loved our villa (Starfruit), loved the beach, loved the restaurant (and Lucilla!), loved the little thatch-roofed beach platforms, and loved the snorkeling right off the point. We did the Adventure Package, and I highly recommend it. The ATV tour was a blast, the catamaran day trip was lovely, and the snack basket was terrific. The package includes a rental car--waiting for you at the resort! And at the end of your stay, you just leave it at the ferry terminal! We never had an easier rental car experience in our lives. And you really do need the car--if only for zipping into town every day to buy snacks or do some shopping.

Breakfast (included!) was amazing--chef Paul whipped up a delicious and unique dish every morning! We just loved it--especially the mango pancakes and the breakfast burritos. Lucilla (the omnipresent server) couldn't have been nicer--saying bye to her was sad.

At the front desk, the incredibly cheerful Julisa and the amazingly helpful Nadia made our lives easier every time we needed something. We loved them both.

A few (minor) things that could make the place even better:

--The bugs (no-see-ums and mosquitos) were pretty annoying in our room. We were constantly being bitten. At the last place we stayed that was this buggy, management left a battery powered bug zapping racquet in each room, and it made all the difference in the world. Frenchman's knows what these are--we saw one in the little office behind the front desk. They should invest the $8 per villa and equip every room with one. It would help a lot.

--The DVDs were mostly pirated copies, and they all had technical issues (missing video, un-sync'd audio...one DVD actually had the wrong movie on it!). Having complimentary DVDs is a great little perk (there's a DVD player in every cottage), but having them be of lousy quality was a bit of a bummer. Management should spend a few bucks on 20-30 nice (original) movies--it wouldn't be that hard.

--Buy a roll of duct tape, Frenchman's! You know the old expression--you can repair anything with duct tape. Well, one of the two kayaks' oars was broken, and we asked if it could be fixed our first day there. I even volunteered to fix it myself--all I needed was (you guessed it) a piece of duct tape (or any similar heavy tape). They didn't have any, though, and the oar remained broken throughout our entire stay.

The above small things aside, this was a near-perfect vacation. I'd recommend the place to anyone I know, and it's one of the few resorts I'd like to return to one day. It's really delightful. Go there yourself--and if they have the zappers, non-pirated DVDs, and a roll of duct tape, you'll be in for a vacation that couldn't be better!

Room Tip: I get the feeling they're all extremely nice, but you can't go wrong with Starfruit.