I have been needing to write this review since my honeymoon last October, because we chose Frenchmans based on the glowing Trip Advisor reviews! We loved our quiet and peaceful stay in Star Fruit.
THE VILLA: Our one bedroom villa was very well-appointed and comfy. We loved the porch and the wall of windows in the bedroom upstairs that gave us a panoramic view of the sunrise (at 6:00am - then back to sleep!). We didn't cook, but the kitchen was really nice, and having a full-size fridge was useful. We loved having a king bed. The decor was very pretty and "island-y." Star Fruit has an amazing view of the blue water, framed by pink bougainvillea blooms! It is still my phone wallpaper and probably will be for some time.
THE PROPERTY: Beautiful landscaping and flowers everywhere! Frenchmans certainly didn't scrimp on their making the property beautiful and useful, with lots of fairly private areas for relaxing. The website shows the cushioned loveseat up on the point, but there are also two lounge chairs out on a small dock on the far side of the property, multiple secluded pockets of the beach with lounge chairs, and more cushioned outdoor furniture on the far side of the pool. It might be different later in the season, but we always felt like we had the place to ourselves because each lounge area was tucked away by itself. The beach is small, but we didn't mind that (again, no crowds yet in late October). The pool is really pretty with a couple of small fountains/waterfalls flowing into it.
We meant to take the kayaks out into the water but never got around to it ... we had also considered playing tennis but didn't do that either. Great options, though!
We loved the daily breakfast at the Clubhouse restaurant. The breakfasts were hearty enough that we usually just snacked at lunch and were fine until dinner! (There might have been a few drinks thrown in in the afternoons, as well.) :) The French press coffee was so good. There was a special breakfast creation each day and then a standard option or two (I think quiche lorraine was available every day, and maybe granola too). I didn't think I liked mango, but Paul's mango pancakes were incredible! I also loved the guava pineapple juice.
SERVICE: From my first contact with Michele, everyone at Frenchmans was nothing but friendly and eager to help out. Chris was waiting for us when our ferry came in at West End and had us follow him to the hotel in our rental car. Lucilla took care of us at breakfast every day and was so sweet!
OVERALL: If you read the website and the reviews of Frenchmans, I think you get the idea that you are not getting a huge luxury resort but a secluded, beautiful place to relax. You could spend a whole week there and not leave the property, but you might get a little bored. We enjoyed a mix of staying on property and venturing out. Having Soper's Hole Marina right around the corner made that easier, since Frenchmans is at one end of Tortola and it's a little bit of a drive to other activities and restaurants. Pusser's Restaurant at the marina was fun, and the Harbor Market was very handy for stocking up on drinks and snacks. I don't think you could depend on cabs from Frenchmans, though - take your life in your hands and rent a car. :) Be very careful on Tortola's narrow, sometimes steep roads where you are always driving too slowly!
The only critiques I could offer are that the DVD library left something to be desired (what we thought was The Break-Up, as the case and DVD exterior indicated, was actually a copy of The Break-Up Artist) and the menu at the restaurant was somewhat limited (though generally very good). The living room furniture was also not the most comfortable for lounging.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Frenchmans is a hidden jewel located on Frenchman's Cay on the southwest coast of the island of Tortola. Set on a dramatic point, we capture the welcoming turquoise waters of the Caribbean and its trade winds. Each of our nine private villas embodies an exquisite elegance, set amidst flourishing gardens with our own private pool, beach and tennis court. Our palette of luxury services including massage, secretarial and concierge ensures your stay will be as care free and indulgent as possible. Private villas include fully-equipped kitchens, ample living spaces, air-conditioned bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms and two or more balconies. Stunning panoramic views, soothing interior design and cool breezes set your body and soul at ease. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Frenchmans reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Frenchmans Hotel West End
- Frenchmans Tortola/West End