“Wonderful Way to End the Summer”
Review of Frenchmans

Frenchmans
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West End
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My daughter and I spent a week at Frenchmans to celebrate her birthday and it couldn't have been better! We arrived later in the evening due to ferry delay, but Chris was waiting for us and helped us get into our beautiful villa, Sugar Apple. We were there in September, when the restaurant was closed, so we didn't have the opportunity to sample what we know would have been exceptional food, but we did get to find our way around the island, with Chris' suggestions and directions. My daughter went diving almost every day, so I loved spending time relaxing under one of the many cabanas, with the entire beach to myself. (Snorkeling right in front of Frenchmans was the best of many locations we sampled. My daughter saw 4 tarpon her first time out beyond the rocks!) Loved the villa...quiet, stunning views, premium comforts of a 5-star resort. We were very impressed with the staff..housekeeping friendly and sensitive to our needs and Chris helped us with reservations and answered all of my questions with a smile! This is a beautiful location with first-class accomodations. Hope to go back some day!

Room Tip: All villas appeared to be excellent locations!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank NorthGeorgiaGator1

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Off the beaten path, and seemingly sporadic hours for the bar and restaurant, but still a five star experience. If you did not want to leave you would not have too! There are not many amenities. For example, no ice machine. Definitely no fitness center except for an ocean. However, you are on a remote island, and you do have a Five Star Room, Five Star view and Five Star beach. I was in heaven.

Room Tip: Every unit I saw was fabulous. Some are a farther walk to the beach or bar so let them know if that...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TurteD
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We were at Frenchmans for 10 days for our Honeymoon at the beginning of August. Our flight from St. Maarten to Tortola was delayed by a couple of hours and even though we arrived at Frenchmans around 10pm, Chris was still kind enough to meet our taxi driver and help us get settled. It was a great start to the magnificent time we had at Frenchmans. For 10 days, we called home a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom villa with a full kitchen, dining room, living room and a balcony with incredible views. Even the decor in the villa was stunning and made everything so cozy and comfortable. Every morning we had the most delicious breakfast (chef's special...chef Paul is so amazing and I dont understand how he doesn't have his own show on the food network or some other highly watched station). Every day, the breakfast was different and one could say that each day, it was better and better. It was slow season when we went so we were able to only have dinner at the restaurant two of the nights we were there but we didn't mind it at all because there were two restaurants (Pussers and Fish 'n Lime) close to Frenchmans (10 mins by walking or 2 mins by car) so we went there for dinner the other nights. They also had excellent food. Chris and Julisa made everything that we wanted to do very simple as they helped us book all the day trips, get the car, inquire about the ferrys to different islands and answer any questions that we had. The entire staff was so pleasant and helped make our stay very enjoyable. I would recommend Frenchmans to anyone that wants to go to an amazing place to enjoy incredible cuisine, unbelievable service and experience paradise on earth!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Boris M
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife and I spent one week here in May for our wedding/honeymoon. We arrived on a rainy day tired from the long journey. We went to sleep early and woke up in paradise. Everything about this place was top notch! The location is secluded and very quiet. What an amazing experience. We judge all other vacation by this standard. We are already planning a return.... soon I hope!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Guava room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joseph M
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at Frenchman's for 7 nights. It was off season. The island was quiet. The resort was quiet. We felt like the only guests on property. The staff was very helpful, always smiling. The staff was extremely friendly in the restaurant. It was a perfect location to be away from everything. While the pool is small, the lounge chairs was wonderful. We loved it that it is away from everything else, yet still close enough to have a ferry, market, mariner near by for other activities.

I wished breakfast was open later than 9:30

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wendy18020
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband planned our vacation months ago and did not tell me where we were going. I had high hopes and big dreams. Not only could I never have imagined Tortola, I never would have imagined or picked somewhere as perfect as Frenchmans. Upon our arrival, Chris greeted our taxi and took us straight to our villa - a perfect 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa with 3 amazing patios overlooking the cay.

The villa itself was clean and light and airy, huge kitchen (we live in Europe) and gorgeous bathrooms. The AC in the bedrooms was a little slice of heaven after a day in the sea and sun. Little touches like the towel boxes outside of the villas where you could dump your wet beach towels and a foot bath by the door helped kept the villa clean in between maid service.

The location is perfect for getting out of town, but still wanting to hit the grocery store or surf shops or get a Painkiller and lunch at Pusser's Landing in the Marina. (All are just a 10 minute walk.) The snorkeling off the dock took our breath away and the kayaks and tennis court reminded us that we had fitness options, if we could tear ourselves away from the cabanas.

The staff is amazing. My husband again surprised me by having my 3 best friends come down and stay with us. Chris helped keep it a secret (even lying and "closing off" the extra bedroom to "save energy" until their arrival) and answered everyone's questions prior to and during our arrival. Chris and Jalissa were instrumental in my husband's planning. They have great relationships with other vendors and were always able to recommend the best, including car rentals and excursions.

Everyday started with an amazing Chef's Special breakfast. The restaurant/bar staff quickly welcomed us and knew our habits throughout the week, even coming out to the pool to let us know Happy Hour had started. The Sunday brunch was delicious, as were the evening meals which had a great variety.

Because of the company I was in, I would have had a great time anywhere, but being at Frenchmans took everything up a notch. Even with all the options around the island, some of our best days were spent without ever leaving the property. We felt at home all week and that made all the difference.

Room Tip: Our villa, "Lime", was in the perfect location - on the edge of the property but close to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shoesprings
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Another fantastic stay at Frenchman's! We love the place. They get better every time. Staff genuinely friendly and capable, Villas beautiful and clean. Super views. Quiet, yet convenient to Soper's and West End. A recent, yet suttle landscaping adjustment at the restaurant made it perfect!

Jim W

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Frenchmans? Share your experiences!