“Loved it!”

D'Coalpot BVI Restaurant Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in West End
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We have moved to a our new location in Carrot Bay, about a mile away from the old location in Apple Bay. Grand opening was Sunday July 16th. D'CoalPotBVI offering a great dining experience featuring mouthwatering caribbean splices for your palate's delight, open 7 days a week, except for Good Friday.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great place! The service was great and so was the food! We were a party of four. Two of us had the steak and two the grouper. Both were well prepared and very tasty! Would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I was in the Virgin Islands for a week, and ate at D' Coal Pot restaurant (Tortola) three of those nights. It was the highlight of my trip. Maggie, Evelyn (the chef) and Felicia took excellent care of me. The first night, I commented to Maggie (the server) that I had heard the locals eat goat stew (which they call "mutton"), and I was keen to try it, but had not seen it on any menus. She said that her boss (Evelyn) had just cooked up a batch for the staff dinner, and next thing I know, I have a steaming bowl of rich mutton stew in front of me and a grin from ear to ear. It was to-die-for. I proposed to Evelyn that night, but she declined me.

The setting is rustic and unpretentious, and for my money, D' Coal Pot has the best food in the Virgin Islands. Try the lobster roti or the mango/passion-fruit grouper, or ask for Maggie and tell her "Richard sent you to try the mutton".

2  Thank rs_redding
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We ate here last night on a recommendation of a woman who had told us about this place when we were on Tortola 4 months ago. The service was friendly (Maggie) and the outdoor atmosphere is cheerful with colorful umbrellas and just the right amount of lighting.

The conch in lime and garlic as a started was excellent! We were looking forward for more to follow. I ordered the shrimp roti and my boyfriend ordered the curry encrusted grouper. Unfortunately, the roti was way over salted but I find that is often the case in the Caribbean so I have become accustomed to flushing out the salt by drinking a lot of water. The real downfall came with the "grouper,"

I eat a LOT of fish because I don't eat red meat. The "grouper" was definitely not grouper. They also had a curry encrusted red snapper on the menu and that is without a doubt what we were served. When I pointed it out to the server, she said "Oh, no, it just tastes like red snapper because of the way it is cooked." Well, I know grouper from red snapper. We eat snapper at home but can't get grouper. I use to eat grouper weekly when I would travel to Florida for business.. Snapper is flakey with a very distinct texture and flavor. Grouper is a firmer fish and does not flake with the touch of a fork. Someone made a mistake and just didn't want to own up to it, which is unfortunate.

I don't want to discourage others from eating here because we heard from more than one local about how great this place is. Perhaps we will even give it a try the next time we are on Tortola

2  Thank PDXWindJammer
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Finding good food in the BVI is tricky, it is your laid back island with no large hotel chains. So finding this restaurant is a real find. It may not look anything from the outside, but that is the authentic charm of sitting outside with just a tarpaulin over ones head to keep off the showers. You are guaranteed a warm Caribbean welcome from Evelyn . The food is freshly sourced and freshly cooked. Good Atmosphere. Would recommend a visit and will be sure to be back.

1  Thank NickBlaireLee
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Starting with excellent service by Patty Ann and suggestions of what to get, she was right on the money. The 4 of us shared conch fritters and coconut shrimp, followed by 3 orders of grouper with mango sauce and 1 conch roti, with a choice of 3 sides out of 5. We have been coming to Tortola for 20 years and this is one of the best meals ever!