Like a natural athlete, well trained and gifted, San Maurizio makes everything look effortless. Let's start with the spa, that includes a wonderful heated indoor pool, connected jacuzzi tub, adjacent Turkish bath with light therapy and a shower. Comfortable lounges line the perimeter. For a reasonable additional charge per person you can experience the multi-stage saltwater spa pool service. 15 minutes is the extremely buoyant salt bath, shower, 20 minutes on the warmer less briny pool 2, followed by 10 laps of the hot/cold split pool. One side is warm the other cold, you walk through each 10 times then take a sauna. You feel revived, relaxes and exfoliated when it's over.
Which means it's time for dinner. Start in the lobby bar with a specialty gin cocktail. James has conjured up a plethora of concoctions with local ingredients like rose hips, cucumber, pepper cloves. Then proceed to 1 of the 2 restaurants; The Michelin Star restaurant located in the wine cave since 1961, or the bistro, where they also serve breakfast buffet. We experienced all 3 during our stay, each are wonderful in their own way with consistent quality of food and service.
After dinner we headed back to the bar and the cigar friendly glass enclosure. James entertained us with stories (he's a brit with perfect English) and poured us Rum from 1985 to accompany the Cubans in his humidor. Great way to end the day.
And a great way to start the day with the inclusive breakfast buffet. Found myself asking "what is this" multiple times, local yogurt, fruit, cheese, bread, wonderful. One morning when we found 9:30am to be a little early, the staff prepared a silver tray and delivered to our room. Prego!
During the day you can rent a bike, or a Vespa if your daring or simply walk the vineyards. The terraced ground are magical, we happened upon several cherry trees ripe with red berries. The workers in the vineyard encourage us to pick some, it doesn't get any sweeter.
If there's a negative it's that this was a 16th century monastery, while they have done a fantastic job of decorating, renovating and electrifying the building, not much you can do about sound-proofing. Although we were able to sleep soundly, footsteps echo in the hall and voices carry. Guess that's why monk's took vows of silence....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relais San Maurizio is a unique, unforgettable place. Refined and romantic, it is the ideal place for a true time of wellness, relaxation, soothing the senses and the spirit. An unexpected, happy discovery. The frescoed halls, the 31 rooms with unique decorations, the gardens and the park with centuries-old trees are all truly enchanting. The large outdoor swimming pool at the top of the hill provides a 360° view of the surrounding landscape. The hotel is also home to the Michelin starred 'di Guido da Costigliole' restaurant and the exclusive 'La Via del Sale' Medical & Beauty SPA. It is a partner of the Relais & Chateaux chain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Priceline, Agoda, World Independent Hotel Promotion, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HRS so you can book your Relais San Maurizio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais San Maurizio Hotel Santo Stefano Belbo
- Relais San Maurizio Italy/Santo Stefano Belbo, Piedmont