“Service terrible, ambiance terrible, food average, high prices=poor value”
Review of Chez Bamboo

Chez Bamboo
Ranked #9 of 38 Restaurants in Virgin Gorda
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Service terrible, ambiance terrible, food average, high prices=poor value”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Chez Bamboo was a disappointment. We experienced the noise of cars and loud heavy trucks rumbling by on the road 20 feet from our table, and smelled exhaust fumes. I had the "Pan roasted black cod" which I complained about because it was deep fried. The waitress blamed the person who made the menu for having printed the "pan roasted" description in error, and made it unpleasant for me to get a replacement entree. They then automatically added a 15% gratuity to my bill, even though I checked the menu afterwards, and there was no indication that any gratuity would be added automatically to my bill. Not what I expected for $35 entrees.

• Visited June 2014

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Drove by when ever we went into Spanish Town, finally stopped on our last night. Greeted by Rose, the dinner was excellent. One of our best meals out. Have live music. Fun times.

Visited March 2014
New York, NY
“Great sushi and service; nice place”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We have eaten at Chez Bamboo many times over the years we have been visiting the island, but have not reviewed it until now. The reason is that a new friend, inge, who shares a house with Rose, the proprietor of the restaurant, took us there and we had such a great time that we went back again on our last night and had an equally memorable meal. Our friend says that this place has the best sushi on the island, and even after eating at the new Cocomayo, we tend to agree.
Our take on the place was that it always had great apps and desserts, but so so mains. Now we don't care about the mains since we have a sushi or noodle dish.

• Visited March 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“We will keep coming back!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We have been dining at Chez Bamboo for probably 12 years and have always enjoyed chatting with the owner, Rose Giacinto, and the rest of the staff, always friendly and helpful. The menu is an eclectic mix of standards and new, innovative dishes. This year we had the romaine dish and thought it was special, still crispy even though sauteed lightly. We also had the tuna roll, and the shrimp roll, both of which were excellent. The ordered a bottle of the suggested house red, a malbec from Argentina, which was perfect. We dined on a Tuesday, the night Morris Mark sings, and we always enjoy that. Rose sets high standards for the dishes she creates, and it is a pleasure to experience such high quality across the very wide variety of her preparations. Whether we want a full dinner or a series of small plates, we always leave feeling that we have had a special meal at one of the best places on VG.

Visited March 2014
De Pere, Wisconsin
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My wife and I have been going to Virgin Gorda for several years and have always been mildly disappointed in the food on the island to the point where we seldom ate out. This year we made an exception because our son was able to join us during our stay. After asking around we decided on Chez Bamboo. We were not disappointed in the least. The service was excellent and the food was superb. I had the Lobster Alfredo, my son had the Cod, and my wife had the Rib Eye and all were delicious. We are looking forward to next year and another visit to Chez Bamboo.

• Visited March 2014