“Absolute Paradise!”

Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Little Dix was absolute paradise! My husband and I spent 8 glorious days at the resort in Virgin Gorda for our honeymoon, and it could not have been more perfect. The customer service was top notch. Everyone from the front desk receptionists to the waitstaff called us by name throughout our stay. We purchased the Romance Package, which I would highly recommend as we feel we got a great value, especially given that all of our food was included.

FOOD: The Beach Grill was a perfect lunch spot. Upon being seated, the waitstaff brings you a cold towel to cool off that smells like fresh flowers. They had great salads and wraps and the drinks, which weren't included in our package, weren't expensive. The rum punch is a must! The Sugar Mill was fantastic for dinner. The majority of their tables are right up against the sand, where you can dine by candlelight overlooking the water. A reservation is helpful, especially if you want to sit by the sand. The food, all of which was included in our package (even the lobster/steak surf and turf) was five star, and the drinks were reasonably priced. We would also recommend going out to eat off the resort. We tried Coco Maya, and it was hands down one of our favorite restaurants we've ever been to. I would recommend going a bit early before your reservation so you can enjoy a fun cocktail while sitting on a wooden swing at the bar.

ACTIVITIES: As part of our Romance Package, we received a couples massage at the spa. It was fantastic! Before your massage, you get to spend time sipping on a cocktail overlooking an infinity pool and the ocean. It was the most relaxing thing we did on our trip. I also received a facial with fruit extracts - it was fabulous and helped with my sunburn. We also participated in the sunset cruise and beach drop, which were part of our package and highly recommended. The cruise was a lot of fun. We were on a small boat with a few other couples and got to cruise around the island while snacking on appetizers and sipping on wine. The captain could not have been friendlier, pointing out all of the neighboring islands (including Richard Branson's private island) and refilling our glasses with each person's favorite wine! The beach drops are also great. We got to pick out a picnic lunch for our drop, which was delivered to us in a cooler along with a beach umbrella. This is no ordinary picnic lunch - they gave us small side salads with fresh veggies, gourmet lobster sandwiches, bottled water and a bottle of wine. We met our boat driver by the Beach Grill, and he drove us over to the Baths for the day along with our picnic lunch. When going to the Baths, I would definitely recommend bringing water shoes and a waterproof camera, both of which you can buy at the resort.

ROOM: We stayed in an ocean cottage a little further down from the Beach Grill. Our room was always cool and very clean. They offered turn down service every night, leaving a fresh flower on your bed and soothing music on the radio. I also greatly appreciated the golf cart service - any time we needed a ride to dinner, the spa or anywhere on the resort, we could call down to the front desk and within 5 minutes, a golf cart would come and pick us up!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Keli P

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Little Dix Bay offers everything you could wish for for a perfect family vacation. The staff are friendly and it has almost everything you could ask for. The Tennis courts and spa are fantastic as well as the restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for one as close to the beach as possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A colleague of mine insisted that we spend a night at LDB so I could indulge in my most fav activity -spa hopping. She has a former business connection with the resort as she used to work with the Caneel Resort in St. John. LDB will NOT disappoint. I was touched by the simple elegance and luxury of our villa. Detailed with all of the special touches you would expect from a rosewood resort. The staff is top notch, personable yet non intrusive. The pool and beach is meticulously kept with beautiful gardens. My only slight disappointment was the meal selection the night we were there, it was very ordinary for dinner. But the breakfast spread made up for it, a delicate selection of meats and cheeses. Reminiscing of Italy while we had breakfast and enjoyed the beautiful arid scenery of Virgin Gorda.
I will be returning to LDB since it's in my backyard here in the Caribbean. This may be one of my all time favorite resorts.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank princessbadissa
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We were here 2 months ago and I am still thinking about Little Dix! Within 15 minutes of arriving I was really excited about this trip. The grounds are expansive and luxurious (in true Rockefeller style). We booked the lowest category room and I thought it was great. Newly remodeled and all the creature comforts. The food and drink were awesome. The staff was the nicest I have ever experienced in the carribean. They have a dock right at the hotel which is so convenient for the day trips offered. There is also the famous "beach drops" where you pack a lunch and they will drop you off and pick you up at several beaches around the island. Coolers are provided along with snorkel gear. The pool area is nice to sit for a drink after a beach day. It is a quiet resort and island -- perfect for older honeymooners and couple get-aways. (I think younger honeymooners would be happier in a place that had a town with more action). I don't think I would bring my young children here due to how expensive it was (although there were many children there). We were here off season, so the rates were drastically cut. Perhaps if I paid a full rate I would have found more issues with the resort? However, we are definitely going to return here! email me any questions.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheryl5418
Reviewed 24 September 2013

No crowds, just pristine waters and sand. Truly a spectacular island and is one of our favorite destinations. My husband and I with three teenagers were never bored since the resort offers so many activities including diving, which was wonderful. We will be back in 18 months!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank activefamily
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I visited LDB with my family (four kids in total) and have to say it was the best holiday of my life. I genuinely wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone and if I had the chance (and money) to return I would in a heart beat.

The service/staff: All lovely, smiles all around, brilliant people working in the kids area when the parents want to go for a romantic meal on their own. People wander up the beach offering water and ice while you sunbathe which is a nice touch (and free), they don't hassle you though - just a friendly offer and they're happy to stay or move on just as quickly. I hate when people try to approach you on holiday and interrupt your fun/family time but they really did get the measure of people straight away and remembered if you had wanted water or not and would either come back to you and offer more (if you had said yes previously) or remember not to.

Rooms: Were big, we had all four kids in one room and there were no complaints or arguments about space/toys/who put what where! Bliss! There were a few mosquitos in the room, the eldest child had about 60 bites in total by the end of the holiday. Nothing can really be done on this score unfortunately, but it certainly didn't ruin our holiday. We had a slight incident when the youngest child (3) walked out into the garden before an evening meal and walked on top of a red ants nest; the screams were unreal and we soon realised that there were nests all over the grounds which certainly affected the way the kids played outside after that! Again though, this was just nature doing its thing so we can't hold it against the resort/the people running it. I would just ask them to keep on top of these things to avoid further accidents.

Food: We have one very fussy child so I was pleasantly surprised to see some thoughtful breakfast options when it comes to this. There was always a selection of muffins (chocolate was a favourite of ours) and of course a brilliant array of fruits (exotic and more 'normal) as well as juices etc. So no problems there. Dinners were always a fun affair, getting a little dressed up as is the requirement depending on which restaurant you wish to go. The setting is very beautiful, such lovely views of the surroundings, sunsets and beaches. Beautiful.

Beach: This place is literally the ideal beach holiday if what you're looking for is white sand and clear, warm water. There were a few very small jellyfish (we only once saw a giant one wash up on the sea which was soon "dealt with"). I went snorkling and saw a manataray, barracuda and (I think) a sea cucumber! I went out one afternoon on a lilo with an American I met and in no time we had several schools of fish swimming underneath us, it actually made me scream with surprise lol but was good fun. Have never experienced that before or since; definitely a lasting memory!

Excursions: We took a speed boat to a nearby beach/cove and took some nice underwater photos with Nemo's and Dori's which was amazing; I can't remember the name of the place but it's worth asking at the hotel to find out where you can do this. The sea was sooooo blue it didn't seem possible! We also went parasailing which was ace, first time I did it and loved it.

I know this review is quite long but frankly you will love this location; it's a great place to bring families and is also romantic enough for couples! Go! You won't regret one second of it!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Katie S
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I are avid travelers and spent lots of time researching for our honeymoon after our destination wedding. After reading countless reviews about how romantic and luxurious LDB was we splurged and booked our week long trip. We could not have been more disappointed with the quality, service or lack of luxury at LDB. Below are our three biggest concerns that would prevent us from recommending this hotel:

Rooms:
We stayed in a treehouse room because we were told these were close to the beach and families were not allowed to stay here due to the height. The rooms were less than luxurious. They are close to the service road so you have to keep the shades drawn for privacy, and there is no way to view the water front anywhere you can sit in the room. After two days we brought this to the attention of the management and they upgraded us to a junior suite. If you do stay at LDB I would not stay in any room categories lower than this as they are not acceptable for the price range.

Family Resort, not for couples!
This resort is clearly a family vacation spot and NOT meant for couples. There were families everywhere and absolutely no privacy or luxurious adults only environment. We are in no way against traveling to family friendly resorts but children clearly rule the hotel here. Large families were on vacation and left their children mostly unattended at the pool, beach and restaurant areas. The property is very safe so I understand this, however it is not ideal for honeymooners. There were even small children at the spa pool!! You should know the main hotel pool (only pool besides the spa pool that is only available during your treatments) closes at 6pm!! All restaurants on the property close at 9pm!!! There are no lights on the beach and absolutely nothing going on after dinner.

Food and Service were below par:
The hotel is quoted constantly for having outstanding service. We noticed very quickly that while the hotel had very friendly staff, they were not providing good service. We waiting long periods of time for food and drinks. One day towels were not made available at the pool or beach until well after 11am. The food was also severely lacking for the price. We opted for the Romance Package which included three meals so we ate every meal on the property. There was only one choice for breakfast, which was a buffet with only a few items that NEVER changed. We also only had one option for lunch with a menu that NEVER changed. For dinner we had a choice of buffet or a la cart. Men had to wear long pants to the a la cart restaurant and the food was a little better, but again the menu did not change. The buffet dinner was less than appetizing with lots of repeat (left overs) from one night to the next.

We have brought all our concerns to the management who received the suggestions well and have told us they are working on making changes to create more separation for adults. Until this change happens I cannot recommend the hotel for couples. And really unless the food were to improve or you eat only off property I couldn't recommend it to anyone in this price category. After sailing around BVI there are plenty of other areas with just as nice a location that provided better food, accommodations, service and experience.

Room Tip: Rooms below the Junior Suite category are not acceptable for the price range.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
16  Thank 20sTravelers
RosewoodLittleDixBay, General Manager at Rosewood Little Dix Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear "20sTravelers,"

Thank you for taking the time to review Rosewood Little Dix Bay. We are very sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations.

As you mention in your review, we do have quite a history as a couples-friendly resort. We also have a strong reputation as a family friendly resort with an excellent children's program. We do our best to maintain the individual experiences that our guests expect from our resort, but occassionally the separation between guests can get muddled along our beach and in our public areas. We will certainly consider the opportunities to create a better situation where families and honeymoon couples alike will be able to enjoy their stays.

We want you to know that we have taken your feedback and shared it with the rest of our management team and we intend to fully address the gaps in service you've experience. The resort is undergoing a phased multi-million dollar renewal plan that will take place over the next few years. Part of that plan includes updating accommodations including the Tree House cottages, as well as guest facilities at the resort. Another very important part of the plan involves in-depth staff training. This year our staff members will receive cross-exposure training to experience service and training techniques to share from our legendary sister properties.

With the planned improvements to our resort facilities, accommodations and service level, we envision a Rosewood Little Dix Bay that will continue to impress and satisfy all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future, so that we might have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,

Bitter End Yacht Club
Bitter End Yacht Club
#1 of 1 in North Sound
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Rosewood Little Dix Bay? Share your experiences!