“used to be a little better, but still great”

Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was our fourth trip to LDB. That right there should tell you something. With the world to choose from, we keep coming back.

The bay is the main attraction. Half a mile of sand and gorgeous water just for you. We did run into a wedding party this time that made an awful lot of noise, but they were gone after a couple of days.

The staff is very nice. We stayed in the same room we had been 2 other times. One thing that disappointed was the new increased noise level coming from the golf-cart depot behind us. Several times an hour, we were treated to the loud backing up noise. This was not present nearly as much the first few times we had been there.

Otherwise, we love this place, we will keep coming back, and we recommend it to everyone all the time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Rosewood Little Dix Bay

Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband, son and I spent just under two weeks at Little Dix right after Christmas. The grounds are immaculate, and it is one of the prettiest beaches on one of the prettiest islands in the Caribbean. Our "premium ocean view" rooms were lovely, tastefully decorated, immaculately clean and beachfront. We enjoyed many hours idling on the lounge chairs just out front, listening to the waves, reading novels and visiting with one another.

Our two rooms (1 and 2) were just down the beach from the Sugar Mill, and that's where the problem began. On an ordinary night, the Pavilion and Sugar Mill are good neighbors; we were not once disturbed by noise or traffic -- that is, until the convention arrived. Though there were no more than 40 or so members of the group, this is a small resort, and it is not capable of absorbing the extra traffic or commotion. At well over $2000 a night, we did not expect to witness pirate parties, booze cruises, or big loud groups in the bar. It's just not what we came for....

The issue came to a roiling head when the group took over the Sugar Mill for their closing festivities. We returned to our rooms following dinner to find that their music was inescapable. Even in the shower, it was overwhelming. The walls vibrated with the bass. And we could hear every word their Master of Ceremonies shouted out through the hyped up PA system. When we expressed our concern by calling the front desk, a very pleasant young woman said she was having trouble hearing me and then opined that "the party was quite loud." Right. While she assured me that such parties usually ended by 10 pm (it was already around that time), she took no action whatsoever to help remedy the situation. On our 4th call to the front desk, I asked to speak to the Managing Director. I was put on hold for a few minutes, and then told that he was "off property" and "not answering." Eventually, somewhere around midnight the noise finally stopped.

The following morning, I stopped by the front desk to register my dissatisfaction with both the noise and staff's response. The front desk manager was quick to apologize, offer a compensatory massage, and assure me that the Managing Director would be by to see me shortly. And, indeed, he was. He too apologized profusely and assured me that had he received my call the previous evening, he would have intervened immediately. And I believe him. But the fact is that he did not get the message, and that suggests a serious staffing problem.

Again, the real issue is that Little Dix Bay is too small and quiet a resort to absorb large business groups. And it's core customers like it that way. We won't return without first confirming that there won't groups in-house during our stay.

Room Tip: Beware of big groups..... POV rooms 1 and 2 are noisy when groups are in-house.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank ewellis
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Others are not. Take, for instance, a massage at the Little Dix Bay spa. The quality of the therapists is on a par with best health and fitness facilities, but the setting, in a lush garden on a cliff overlooking the turquoise sea takes it to a whole other level. Like almost everything at Little Dix, it is the opposite of free, but it is wonderful.

Luxury at Little Dix Bay doesn't mean opulent decor or being waited on hand and foot. It is all about an environment so beautiful, so welcoming and secure that you quickly feel free to indulge yourself, let go and relax. You quickly get used to not needing a room key -- put your wallet in the safe and stop worrying about your stuff! And in this brand of paradise there are few fashion dos and don'ts. Most guests keep it simple, but the occasional glamour sighting helps enliven the scene.

The property itself is amazing -- hundreds of acres fully surrounding a half mile crescent beach. Just behind the foliage that protects the beach, the grounds open out into a vast tropical park. The one and two story buildings that house the guest rooms are scattered throughout, among fabulous old trees, flowering shrubs, and exotic specimen plants. Beyond this there are vast open fields and dense, un-landscaped hills with hiking trails for the fit and adventurous. (If that is you, I highly recommend the hike to Savannah Bay, another great beach that is one of the island's protected national parks.)

Over the past few years, the hotel has systematically been upgrading/up-pricing the guest rooms. Several buildings that housed the smallest of the original rooms were taken down and replaced by half the number of much larger junior suites. This year I saw that some of my old favorite "treehouse" rooms have been combined to create bedroom/ sitting room/huge bathroom suites. In general, the rooms are not spectacular, but the least of them are pleasantly comfortable and the best are quite luxurious. As you would expect at this price point, bedding, towels and toiletries are top quality.

Even among rooms within the same pricing category there are individual differences. For instance, some allow easy access between two rooms and are therefore suitable for families with children. Some rooms have both indoor and outdoor showers. Some are up a flight of stairs and have open views while others, at ground level, have easier access to the beach and paths. Rooms that are desired by some guests for their convenience are disliked by others because there's more action on that stretch of beach. The west end of the beach gets morning sun and afternoon shade, the east end gets the reverse etc etc. Unfortunately you can't learn a lot about the room variations on the hotel's website or, I suspect, from a phone all to the reservations office. This is one of those hotels where it pays to do some investigating during your first visit to scope out where you'd most like to be next time. But be warned, repeat guests often book their same rooms year after year, so in busy seasons you may find some spots hard to get.

Food has never been the draw at Little Dix, so I was delighted to find it better than ever. I just read an earlier reviewer's very negative comments about the Beach Grill, and I can only assume that there was a huge change during the month between our stays. We found the menu, quality and service at lunch to be excellent, as is the extensive breakfast offered at the hotel's main dining space, The Pavillion. A couple of times during the week there are grand buffets in the Pavillion, but otherwise I prefer the more intimate Sugar Mill restaurant for dinner. Service in the dining rooms is skillful and friendly. Helen, the resort's Food and Beverage Manager, is one who leads by example, and her bustling energy has achieved a new level of efficiency from her staff. That said, for anyone staying more than a few nights, I urge you to skip or switch away from the "dinner included" room rate in order to enjoy some of your meals away from the hotel. Less than a mile from the hotel reception desk, Chez Bamboo has a large, interesting menu, an excellent chef and a friendly yacht-harbor atmosphere. A half mile further you'll find both The Rock, which serves good Italian-influenced food in a dramatic setting of platforms built among the island's characteristic basalt boulders, and Coco Mayo, a sophisticated bar/restaurant that opens directly onto a small beach. Virgin Gorda is a totally safe, totally friendly place to be out at night. The hotel concierge can advise you on all the local options, make reservations and call cabs.

12  Thank fussydame
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We have reservation for a week in April and are trying to decide between 3 different properties in the Caribbean. After reading some reviews I was a little concerned about the renovations. I just called the hotel and the first person who answered the phone was quite rude, couldn't answer my question and just said: "please hold". I was transferred to another lady who couldn't answer my question (I just wanted to know if renovations were finished) and she too was not friendly and transferred to another person but it just rang and rang. Some of the reviews suggest poor service, this is my first experience with the staff and now I'm probably going to cancel our week and go to one of the other 2 properties... Sometimes it's just the little things that count..

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Ceifrig
RosewoodLittleDixBay, General Manager at Rosewood Little Dix Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear "Ceifrig,"

We apologize for the less than excellent experience you've had with our front desk. Clearly we did not meet your expectations on your experience with our front desk associates. We appreciate your feedback as a valued prospective guest, and we are taking this point very seriously. Our management team will be referring to this experience with our associates on property to ensure that your experience stays an isolated incident.

To answer your question regarding construction, we did have some construction as part of an initial phase of our resort renewal, however this construction is complete. Our classic Tree House Cottages have been updated to expansive Tree House One Bedroom Suites, and our Spa Pool and Activity center were each refinished. There will be no ongoing construction until our seasonal closure in late August, well after our last guest has departed prior to closure.

Our team has built a reputation of delivering excellent service, and while we admit there are past reviews that show service challenges, we maintain a strong commitment to delivering the best travel experience. Our commitment shows in the many positive reviews that we continue to receive from guests that have come and enjoyed our beautiful property.

We do hope you decide to keep your reservation with Rosewood Little Dix Bay, and we certainly look forward to reaffirming our commitment to excellent service for you, our valued guest. If there is anything we can do, or if you have any questions about the resort, feel free to contact us at the resort or our New York based sales office at 212 758 1735.

Tropical Regards,

Edward Linsley
Managing Director
Rosewood Little Dix Bay

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Today is our last after our two-week stay and we are loathe to depart. Looking for loud music, a raucous bar scene, noisy beach games, swinging singles, duty-free shopping galore, water slides, hopping late-night drinking and partying? Don't come here! This is exactly what it presents itself to be- a half-mile of private, gorgeous Caribbean beach, noise of surf, birds, wind only, excellent attentive totally non-abtrusive service, personalized service, good (and sometimes great) food, lovely gardens and walkways, informality, in short the ideal Caribbean beach experience. We've been coming for 25 years, have already reserved for our next two-week stay, and treasure managements' efforts to not be anything more then what Laurance Rockefeller intended when he opened the resort 50 years ago- simple paradise. You can't put nectar through a sieve!

5  Thank Lewis S
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I am fortunate to be spending sometime in Virgin Gorda, and being a fan of a good spa, and a bit of a foodie I thought I would visit Rosewood Little Dix Bay. I am not a frequent visitor of plush hotels but I am aware of good food, service and beauty therapists.

Firstly Little Dix oozes style, the grounds are immaculate and the fact that you get ferried around in golf carts is very jet set and reminds me of Mystique. I started my day with treatments at the Spa, the ladies were very welcoming and knowledgeable. My facial was excellent and other treatments were good. Expensive but it is an exclusive resort. The views are unbelievable, after my pedicure I waited for my nail polish to dry on a private balcony, a band was playing in the background. Super cool, and adds to the experience. My only complaint is they put products i bought together with my treatments and charged me 15 per cent on the total , when I highlighted they did split it.

After I went for lunch, taken by golf cart, to the Beach Bar and Grill, I was asked for my room number when I said I had used the Spa, I then was asked for my name and it was checked before I was seated. The server was a little offish and quite put out when I wanted a table seated directly on the beach front as opposed closer to the kitchen. What was the most surprising and greatest disappointment was the food! I thought I was in for a treat as when you sit down you are given a hot flannel to refresh your hands. I was impressed i ordered the tuna ceviche and chicken ciabatta. The ceviche was swimming in olive oil!!! That's a first. I sent it back, The ciabatta bread was dry! 18% was automatically added to my bill which is a pet peeve of mine, but that's just me. For a splurge and get away vacation do try....enjoy

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mariabeds
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Little Dix Bay may have recently changed owners, but that hasn't interrupted the level of service they offer. I've stayed there five years out of the last ten, and always enjoy coming back the phenomenal landscape. The staff has remained largely the same, which provides a great deal of continuity from year to year. The place is gorgeous, and food is tasty, and the people are super friendly -- but note that you will pay out the nose to get here and have a decent experience. It's worth it if you can afford it, but the price point is not for everyone. Also, the clientele skews older because of these financial considerations, so don't be surprised if the median age is somewhere in the early 60s.

Room Tip: The northeast side of property has a better ocean view than any other block on property.
1  Thank BillScurry
Bitter End Yacht Club
Bitter End Yacht Club
#1 of 1 in North Sound
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Rosewood Little Dix Bay? Share your experiences!