Mango Bay Resort
Gordian Terrace(Virgin Gorda)(Great Value!)
US$232
US$235
US$223
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsoutdoor kitchenbeach frontmangobeautiful beachfresh flowersspanish towncar rentaltoaster ovenfloating matssnorkel equipmentliving roomfoot washgreat snorkeling rightbeachfront villaliterally stepsrock cafefresh beach towels
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I spent 3 days at Mango Bay from 11-13 November 2011. This was our 2nd stay. We were lucky enough to have the Ocean Front suite #14, where we were literally 5 steps from the water. The accomodations were modern, immaculately clean, and well ventilated. The air conditioning was so cold in the bedroom that we nearly froze the first night (fine with me!) -- although we really didn't even need it on, we just like sleeping in cold air. The weather was lovely, always a nice breeze. We saw a sea turtle and lots of marine life while snorkeling right off the beach from our villa. Mango Bay once again captured our hearts and solidified our future return. It is so wonderful to be on a secluded, quiet, and breath-taking beach in the BVIs. Mango Bay is perfect!!!

Room Tip: Ocean front #14 and Ocean view #7
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank FELSmith
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My parents and husband and I stayed at Mango Bay last Spring. We had been to Virgin Gorda a few times before so were familiar with the island. We decided on a last minute trip to Virgin Gorda from St. Thomas and could not have been happier with our decision. We have traveled to many different islands and stayed in a variety of accommodations, and Mango Bay is by far amongst the top. From Gino's hospitality to the amazing beachfront location, Mango Bay is a true gem.
We stayed in a two bedroom that was less than 2 minute walk to the beach. Everything was extremely clean and we loved the outdoor kitchen. As others have said, there are no restaurants on site, but several are within a short drive away. We rented a car during our stay from L & S rentals, which was so reasonable and convenient. The company will drop off and pick up the car wherever you are on island. We absolutely loved exploring the many secluded beaches on the island and taking the free ferry over to the Bitter End Yacht Club for happy hour. I do have to say though that the beach right in front of the hotel is one of the most gorgeous I have seen and you basically have it all to yourself. The resort offers complimentary kayaks, snorkeling equipment, and floats. We really enjoyed snorkeling right in front of the beach, and although there were not a ton of fish, we did see three turtles! The only negative we experienced during our stay was the abundance of mosquitos on the patio. We would definitely recommend bringing bug spray and not leaving the slider open the so the bugs do not come inside.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay at Mango Bay and would recommend for anyone looking for a quiet and beautiful place to vacation. We look forward to heading back soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank llitner
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed at Mango Bay last week of May taking advantage of the car/dinner package. I do recommend the package. What we did not know was that this was the rainy season. Our fault for not looking at weather patterns for this trip like we usually do. By itself, a little rain wasn't any big deal. Downside was very high humidity, I joked with my wife that it was almost like sleeping in a sponge, the humidity was so high. The AC worked great in the bedroom, but struggled a bit to keep up with the moisture. But need to keep in mind that this is an island and you are on the beach. We also live in a very dry climate so we're not acustom to lots of moist air. Second downside aspect contributed to by the rain was the mosquitos. Lots of the them and the only reason I don't rate the resort as Excellent. There were several areas of standing water nearby, a haven for those guys, and they were very hungry and distracking. I doubt if they do any spraying for mosquitoes. Evertwhere I went I kept hearing that it was an unusually bad for mosquitoes. After the 1st night we picked up some mosquito coils from the store. They really helped. We sprayed ourselves liberally as well, especially when we wondered elsewhere on the island. The Mosquitos were not limited to the resort. It would have been a nice gesture for the resort to provide the coils. Take away the mosquitos and add a little more breeze, this really would have been a little taste of heaven. Location could not be any better. We stayed in #104 which is probably the most private suite they have. About 25 feet off your covered patio was beautiful calm blue caribbean water. My wife spent hours snorkeling in the bay and I spent hours relaxing to the sounds of the waves and amazing views, and all from the cozy homebase of our suite.

Care of the room was excellent. Very clean. Screens are a bit tired which made keeping the mosquitoes out of the room nearly impossible. Fresh flowers were a very nice touch. Our thanks to Gino for running a tight ship and contributing to a wonderful vacation.

We would go back, but not during rainy season.

We also visited the Bathes. Heed the advice to go early. We did, arriving before everything opened up, but not early enough. We'd been there 15 minutes when it started to get crowded.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank MarkandDarcy
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My fiance and i visited Virgin Gordo last December (2010) and stayed at 2 resorts, Mango Bay being one of them. We abosutely loved it. The owners/hosts are also very accomodating and laid back.

Amazing villa's for a quiet time and relaxing time. Lots to do during the day, including relaxing on the beach, hammock, snokelling (ask the office for the best spots to snorkel...they know their beach front well!..also they will lend you gear).

Beachfront unit: We were greeted with flowers from the garden everywhere..and nice way to enter your temp "home" away from home. The villa is very clean, with air conditioning, large sitting area, large washrooms and a big clean bedroom. The fridge is inside, and the kitchen, stove, and dining table are on the deck..which is really nice for eating meals. There's also very comfy patio/sofa chairs on the deck to relax in (our was occupied at night by a cat..which hung out with us for our duration) and a foot bucket that's cleaned and filled each day by the maids, as well as an outdoor shower (these are essential). The garden are nicely done with shrubbery and flowers and it's very quiet, with the beach about 10 feet away.

There are only 2 drawbacks.
1. during time we were there were sandfleas (only by the beach) were biting like crazy. We found out after (and counter-intuitively) that if you use a heavy amount of cologne or perfume, they will stay away ..not less cologne like we thought would be better).
2. Since you are in a bay that is below the mountain tops, you tend to lose a bit of the sun in the evening..not a lot..but it goes down pretty fast.

We would and will definitely go back!

pete k.

Room Tip: Call them regarding deals with a car rental or for low season
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
13  Thank pete_k3000
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Our stay was consistent with other reviews. We stayed in a garden room, about 150 level feet to the water. Very quiet. The I BR suite was huge - large BR with a comfortable bed, separate tub, shower, toilet and bidet, full kitchen, table for 4, and two sofas that could easily double as twin beds. Everything was from IKEA. A/C was only in the BR, but would work its way to the front if left on. First place I've stayed where there were no keys. I guess you're in the middle of nowhere, but I still usually put my computer, iPad and cash in the large safe when we went out.

Wonderful snorkeling off the beach, especially towards the north end. Common to see turtles and lobsters, as well as the usual reef fish. The resort will lend you equipment at no cost, but you get what you pay for (wife had to go through 4 snorkels before she found one that didn't leak). There also are lounges, floats, and kayaks for use at no extra cost. No pool on site. WiFi worked in the room. Front desk only there from 9-5.

No restaurant on site. We enjoyed the Sugar Mill at Nail Bay, The Mine Shaft, and the Rock. We were glad we rented a car, since we liked the flexibility of coming and going as we pleased. The roads are newer and generally better than on Tortola.

The only downside is getting to and from VG - it's a real pain to take 2 ferrys back to St. Thomas, especially when you can't always rely on the schedules. But its remoteness means that people who go there really want to be there, and will generally like it.

Room Tip: Book small garden room and request and upgrade
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple