“British Virgin Islands - Part I”
Review of Virgin Gorda

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
New Haven, CT
30 helpful votes
“British Virgin Islands - Part I”
Reviewed 29 September 2007

Greetings! I've just returned from an 18 day trip to the B.V.I.'s with my friend, Kelly. After a 3 hour flight and a 1 hour layover in San Juan, we finally arrived in St. Thomas (U.S.V.I.) and taxied then ferried our way over to Virgin Gorda, (B.V.I.) for our first 9 nights at Fischer's Cove. Fischer's is a very pleasant hotel with beautifully kept grounds and we loved the oceanview breakfasts! They provided us with beach towels daily & a cooler to borrow (re-filled with ice from the bar). It was really handy. We rented a jeep from Island Style Rentals and drove it all around the island. One day we got ourselves lost somewhere around South Sound and found lots of cattle hanging out so we took photos of them. The scenery was breathtaking everywhere! How cool that the waves are crashing on one side while there's such smooth caribbean water on the other. Savannah Bay is this gorgeous, quiet, pristine beach. I saw a large turtle & an eagle spotted ray while snorkeling at Mahoe Bay. The Dog & Dolphin at Nail Bay served excellent mahi-mahi sandwiches. Driving to the North Sound was fun. We liked to hang at Leverick Bay and get deli sandwiches, shop the gift shop and dip in the pool. We drove up seaside cliffs, around chickens and goats and through roundabouts. The Baths were our favorite. I saw a big green eel under some coral right between The Baths & Spring Bay. It was really cool. There were only a few people besides us and the weather was perfect. The caves to Devil's Bay where you swim around big granite boulders and through grottoes in teal blue water...is awesome! Took lots of photos. There is a slight current if you venture too far around the corner from Devil's Bay Beach heading left so be careful! We tried to catch a sunset at The Mine Shaft but it was cloudy & hazy the night we went. We did have a great meal there however with chocolate cherry cake for dessert! I liked overlooking the tree chickens too, though I'm not sure thats what they're called. The Rock Cafe was an excellent restaurant as well. We spent an afternoon at Little Dix Bay, shopped the gift shop, ordered virgin pina coladas, dipped in their pool. :-) We saw stingrays, a turtle AND a beautiful blue/green hummingbird there! I had never seen a hummingbird and it was really pretty. We went to Rosy's or Buck's Supermarket whenever we needed snacks or supplies. Bought some gifts at The Blue Banana Boutique in Yacht Harbour. With its gorgeous views and beautiful beaches, we hated to leave Virgin Gorda but after 9 days, it was time to go to Anegada. (SEE ANEGADA - British Virgin Islands - Part II)

7 Thank VacationGenie
Fife, Scotland
25 helpful votes
“My favourite beach”
Reviewed 16 June 2007

Arrived from Ocean Village Cruise ship, for a day trip to Virgin Gorda. After taking the walk through the amazing rock formations we arrived at the most stunning beach with silver sands and turquoise sea.
If ever you get a chance to visit do so as it was one of the best places on our trip. Spoke to some Americans who had hired a villa they said it was just paradise off the beaten track and wonderful for a relaxing holiday.
In the depth of winter in cold Scotland, I still think recall the sun and warm sea.!!!

3 Thank Cupar
Woodinville, WA
8 helpful votes
“Caribbean Wind Villa, Mahoe Bay VG”
Reviewed 28 February 2007

Recently returned from my 3rd trip to BVI, 2nd one on Mahoe Bay in Virgin Gorda in a beach front villa. Once again we used Island Hideaways for the booking of our villa and would highly recommend them to people looking to book a villa. They basically held our hands, for the 2nd year in a row, thru the booking process. They answered all our questions, made all reservations for us and had an overall great attitude. Will definitely use them again in the future. www.islandhideaways.com

VG was, of course, beautiful, serene and just overall fabulous. We stayed in Caribbean Wind (6 adults and 1 child). It had 4 very spacious bedrooms, 4 large baths with outside showers, fabulous open floor plan with the kitchen, dining and family room. the outdoor veranda was amazing and they had an abundance of outdoor furniture. The pool seemed only steps from the ocean and had a fabulous view of the bay.

Snorkeling out front was somewhat difficult as a storm surge blue in one day clouding up the water for 3 days following. Never lost a day on the beach though, and even with larger waves than normal, the water was still extremely inviting.

Restaurants not to miss: Flying Iguana for breakfast, Top of the Baths for bushwackers and jerk chicken wrap, Rock Cafe for mahi mahi, Trellis Bay Cyber Cafe for fabulous sandwiches on homemade bread, Fat Virgin for chicken roti's and ribs, Leverick Bay Friday Night BBQ buffet for tasty salads, roasted pig, etc. Don't forget, too, if you are renting a villa to set up at least one dinner that is cooked by either Caswell or Puck in you home. We had Caswell come in and cook Anegada lobster and mahi mahi with crab cakes and it was to die for!

The Baths were crowded with cruise ship people. Suprisingly, Devils Bay was quite peaceful even tho it took forever to get thru the rocks. Disappointing the amount of people that did not read the signs on the beach that said no dinghies allowed and came roaring thru up to the beaches dropping people off. Couple of times I panicked about the safety of my son who was snorkeling around the rocks. Very sad that people can't respect the rules and abide by them putting other people's safety at risk.

I was also suprised, and disappointed to see that a catamaran had decided to also "break the rules" and enter Mahoe Bay and anchor for the night right by the protected reefs. I believe charter companies and most charter maps specifically state that there is no anchoring in Mahoe Bay. Once again, people will do what they want even when they aren't supposed to, risking valuable see life.

Otherwise, the trip was amazing and I am already counting the days until I can return again!!

8 Thank Carrie529
LI, NY
28 helpful votes
“Great Island Vacation”
Reviewed 9 February 2007

My girlfriend and I went to VG for a week in late January. It was a great environment for both relaxation and exploration. We rented a jeep and had lots of fun visting all the different beaches, resorts and other sights. You don't need to be a yachtsman or stay at one of the super high-end resorts to enjoy it either. We went for the secluded beaches and were highly satisfied with what we found. Except for the beaches near the Baths (the only really touristy spot on the island) we were able to enjoy entire beaches to ourselves for hours at a time. We flew down from NY (jetblue to San Juan, Air Sunshine to VG) without too much hassle. The people on the island are very friendly and accommodating . . . never in rush and definitely on "island time" but you're on vacation so you should be too!

Note: Although meals on the island were universally pricier than I had hoped, the quality of the food at even the most casual places was very good so I never felt ripped off. You get what you pay for . . you just never have the option to pay less.

3 Thank Shaqdeeez
Philly area
22 helpful votes
“Wonderful Family Vacation”
Reviewed 19 August 2006

This is our second year staying at Nail Bay. We love it and highly recommend it!
The Island is laid back - not much hulaballoo, just good, relaxing fun. Much of the Island has an untouched feel which makes it different from most resorts.
Our accomodations were different both times. Stay nearer the beach is our advice. But we were please on both occassions with the accomodations. And the Housekeeping at Nail Bay is excellent! I wanted to take them home with me!

The Dog and Dolphin Bar and Restaurant is great fun with it's swim up bar. Good drinks!
Don't leave Virgin Gorda without having a BBC if you like rum!
Coppermine Point is beautiful and makes for wonderful pictures.
The Baths are a must see!
We snorkeled several beaches. They were all good to great, but we'll keep the name of our favorite a secret - you'll just have to try them all! We saw sea turtles, cuttlefish, two small sharks, an octopus, as well as the usuall beautiful puffers, damsels, etc.

Island food was yummy - try the conch fritters.

Hike the baths, lunch @ Leverick Bay then free ferry ride to Bitter End - maybe eat dinner there. Snokel, Snorkel, Snorkel.

In June we never saw a mosquito. In August the bugs were everywhere and in the second week restaurants were winding down for the end of the season. I reccommend going during Slow Season but right at the beginning.
Enjoy. Virgin Gorda is truly a tropical paradise.

5 Thank jinxxlady

Been to Virgin Gorda? Share your experiences!