“Location is almost unbeatable!”

Bitter End Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
southampton
“Location is almost unbeatable!”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Have stayed here a couple of times now, and visited on many more, while chartering in the BVIs. The location is absolutely fantastic, although with that comes a fairly long travel time from the UK - flight to Antigua, local flight to Tortola, ferry to Bitter End. The last time we went, we were worried the flight delay would mean we missed the ferry, but it waited for us.

The rooms are a bit 'rustic' but this is perfectly in keeping with the surroundings, and all the facilities are there. Bed was very comfy, and we were glad we'd booked a room with air conditioning. We couldn't pick up the free wi-fi from our room, but it was fine (but slow) in the bar and the pub.

Food is plentiful, and of good quality. Breakfast and lunch are both huge buffets, with lots of choices, including fresh fruit and salads. This next point wouldn't matter to an occasional visitor, but I don't think the menu has changed in all the years we have been visiting, which can make it somewhat predictable. We usually try and get an evening on Saba Rock as well - they have a water taxi that will pick up from Bitter End. The food in the pub makes a welcome change, and the pizzas are good. Service is good everywhere.

There is so much to do, you're spoilt for choice - dinghy sailing, catamarans, SUPs, windsurfing, snorkelling, diving to name just a few. The dive team, Ben and Kay at Sunchaser, are awesome - so enthusiastic. I did my PADI referral with them, and enjoyed some great dives. The snorkelling trips are worth going on too - whether just a couple of hours on the Ponce de Leon, or a half day on the catamaran, Paranda, both are a great opportunity to see the huge variety of marine life on the local reefs.

All in all, a great holiday destination, and one which we're sure to visit again, you can't help but fall in love with the place......

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank allatseaSouthampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My husband and I were on an day excursion to explore Virgin Gorda and ended up at the Bitter End Yatch Club. Sabna did my 1 hour deep tissue massage and her husband gave my husband a 25 minute back massage. Incredible. We felt so much better after our services. Pain free. I can only give a review about the spa. We didn't stay at the resort or sample the food, but the resort looks lovely. It was off season, so it was not busy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The world is filled with beach front resorts, but the Bitter End is something special. Why?

Things we loved
The Bitter End is not a corporate Donald Trump, Marriott, Club Med, Disneyland resort. It's like Cheers, where everybody knows your name. One of the things we loved is that the rooms have no keys and there is a beautiful sense of privacy at the resort. Also, we never felt that we could not just be ourselves. The resort staff and all the guests seemed like genuine people who did not care what we looked like or how we acted.

Things we liked
The resort has many qualities, but they invest most effort into the following:  watersports and food. The watersports allowed us to scuba, snorkel, paddle board, kayak, sail, motorboat, and free swim to our heart's content. There are few resorts that have such generous water activities.
We had the unique opportunity to dine with both Mo, the general manager, and Noel, the executive chef, on our second night at the resort. The dinner was delightful and inspired us. The Bitter End explores serving meals that delight, excite, and entice all of your senses (except for hearing).

Things we disliked
There are no rooms on the beach. Big disappointment. Also, the heat was oppressive at night. And no one should ever stay at the resort without considering a room with AC.

Things we hated
One word: Mosquitos.

The Bitter End is an experience that we will never forget. Despite its charming flaws, the Bitter End provides an oasis of joy and calm in an otherwise stressful world. For example, we spent two days scuba diving with Kilbrides scuba dive company. During those dives we never once thought about any of the things that stress us out in our day to day existence. That is why the Bitter End is such a special place. For one week, we simply enjoyed just being.

Before we elected to go to the Bitter End we reviewed many other resorts and potential destinations. We cannot tell the world that the Bitter End is the greatest resort on the planet. What we can say, however, is that we had an amazing adventure and an unforgettable experience. Life is not about perfection. The best moments in life are those we experience with the people we love. The Bitter End is the place you want to be with the ones you love. You will regret it if you don't come here at least once in your life.  It is a special place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SanDiegoa
cornelius, nc
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Fun for children and adults. Good food, atmosphere, activities, and appeared well maintained. Did not stay overnight so can't comment on rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jgptravels
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We went as part of a BIG (30+) family reunion, ages 6 months to 70+. Everybody had a great time. Even my non-sailing wife, who was pretty hesitant having read some of the reviews on this site, had a ball. The water activities are fantastic, the staff friendly and helpful. Food wasn't spectacular and the service at dinner for our big party was slow a couple times, but overall we were very pleased.

Room Tip: We stayed down near the pool, try to get a 'low' room to avoid climbing lots of stairs.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DocWard
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I hate to reveal this place it is quite possibly worth dying for except for the indian woman on their reservations phone who told me no on almost all my questions for facility reservations. I ended up staying at the Saba Rock and enjoyed their facilities anyway. Diving was great and the spa left me speachless at how my wife glowed after a day there. I would like to have stayed there and availed myself and my wife to more of the amenities but was never contacted back by the reservationist.

Room Tip: talk directly to the dive company and anyone else you want to use there but don't use their emai...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Albany, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Where do I begin? I read every review on here prior to taking this trip. A trip that my parents have dreamed of taking their children on for 10 years. To say we hyped it up in our minds over the year and a half that we waited for our departure is an understatement. We took off unable to contain our excitement in anticipation of what we hoped would be a dream vacation. For my parents, taking us on this trip was something they dreamed of doing for a decade and we could see in their smiles throughout the trip that this dream was being fulfilled before our eyes.
As most people are aware flying these days is a crapshoot. As such we had a nightmare of a time getting to the Bitter End. The movie planes, trains, and automobiles would prove to be two modes of transportation short of our 48 hour travel nightmare. The only reason we made it was due to Bitter End’s Sandra at the front desk and her extraordinary effort to hook us up with non Bitter End employees that she knew and her ability to piece together a way of getting us there. This allowed us to keep from losing a second full day of our week. On top of her incredible coordination they allowed us to stay an extra night at no charge.
Now for the resort, unreal. My wife and I are foodies, we love good food so I will start with that. My concern was not so much that the water wouldn’t be warm and blue (it was 80 and every hue of blue and green imaginable) but that the food would be typical resort quality. I was very pleasantly surprised. Every single meal was great. From the strip steaks and fresh caught wahoo to the burgers and wings not a single item was pre-packaged and frozen. In fact the strip steak was one of the most tender and flavorful I have ever had. There were enough options each day to only eat the same thing twice if you wanted to. Even at breakfast the french toast was made with fresh baked bread from Winston’s bakery and was positively delicious. Even the bacon was thick cut and fresh, again, some of the best bacon I have had at a restaurant. Compared to another all-inclusive resort I have been to this was most definitely next level food and a very pleasant surprise. I am a former rep for a very large food distributor, I know when I am eating something that was frozen or of sub-par quality.
The rooms were impeccable. We stayed in the luxury beachfront villas. We opted for AC, which was probably not entirely necessary, but after a day in the hot sun it was nice to get ready for dinner and then sleep in a cool room. Every day they were cleaned very well, and we wanted for nothing. The views were astonishing, the beds and deck chairs extremely comfortable, and the rooms were spotless. I honestly can’t think of a critique for the villas. We stayed in 12North. The rooms that were higher up did require a little bit of a climb but truthfully, not too bad. My wife had torn her ACL a week prior to leaving. When we got there within one day they had moved us to a lower level room to accommodate her.
The grounds were raked clean every single morning, there was no litter, no overflowing garbage cans, no used towels strewn about, etc. The flowers were gorgeous, the beaches soft white sand and clean, and the bugs we were told to be ready for proved to be nothing compared to what someone from the northeast is accustom to in late spring early summer. I never got a bug bite although some of us did, it was not a big deal.
The excursions, don’t miss these! We snorkeled every opportunity we could. Kinto and Jay were fantastic at taking us out on the Ponce De Leon and finding great snorkel spots that were in calm water with amazing reefs full of life and fish we had never before seen. Kinto and Jay were fun, knowledgeable, and clearly love doing what they do. We did the local snorkel trips almost every day. The last day we went to the Baths which were every bit as beautiful as we had been told. We also did a sunset cruise with Michael and Terry aboard the Paranda which didn’t disappoint.
The fleet, again, top notch. My entire family likes different types of activities and all have different abilities when it comes to the watercraft. We used a little bit of everything and the staff at the sailing center were always friendly, willing to help, and also seemed very happy to be doing their jobs. For that matter I found that a majority of the staff was very friendly and easy going. They are on island time and once you get in to that groove and accept that they don’t rush it makes for an even more relaxing trip. I mean when you are in a place like the Bitter End Yacht Club the last thing you want to do is hurry through everything! Take it slow and enjoy every minute. Let them help you slow down and relax.
I could go on and on about this place. Mary Jo was likely the best resort director around. She knew everything about us before we got there. She approached my wife having never met her and asked how her knee was doing! She walked us to our boat on our way home and thanked us for coming. My father put it best when he told them that he and my mother have been to many places around the world and while many were wonderful destinations the Bitter End Yacht Club is on a very short list of places they plan to return to as often as they can.
To the people who wrote reviews complaining about staff, cleanliness, or food I am not sure we are writing about the same place. I suppose if you go in to a trip looking to find reasons why it isn’t perfect then you see the world through a tarnished lense. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but in my humble opinion the Bitter End Yacht Club is a destination worth every single penny and all the stresses that can occur getting there. If paradise were easy to access it would cease to exist. Virgin Gorda and the Bitter End Yacht Club are indeed paradise. I’m not sure any of us who went will ever be able to top it and that won’t be for lack of trying. Happy travels and if anyone wants to contact me for more specific details on this wonderful place I would be more than happy to tell them about all the incredible details that I couldn’t fit in this review. Thanks to Kinto, Jay, Michael, Terry, Sandra, Mary Jo and all the staff for helping my mother and father fulfill a dream to take their children and their spouses on a dream vacation, you and all the staff can rest assured that you did for one week make 6 people very very happy.

Room Tip: Beachfront Villas, The North Sound rooms seemed a little far away and a lot of climbing.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!