Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“wonderful view”

Bitter End Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
Reviewed 4 February 2009

This was a delight to the eye.It was a good place to relax and rest.It has spectacular views.The staff,most are very friendly.The friendly know who they are,so no need for names.The scene I believe is a bit stuffy.It has a few more stuffy guests than I would prefer to see in one day.You know the kind in school that I did not like to hang around with.The kind that in school would not be late for school or miss a day of school.A little clicky,not the best atmosphere for my tastes.The kind that like to sing at the bar,that group was not there.That does not make them bad people,but many were not much fun.They were more into there $300 dinners for two.The owners should read this review and learn from it.Or they will become a dinosaur in the business.I do not want to believe that they would be as stuffy as some as ther guests and take the constructive criticism.I am not prejudice and I have very wealthy friends.But often people who are rich are like many sports stars...just plain boring!!!!! Not all but often many put me to sleep.And I am a very active and in good shape person so it takes an extra dose of boring to put me to sleep.I loved the villas,the snorkeling,the staff on the beyc ferry ,they were enjoyable,but even the dive staff were young and catered to the uppity's...so even the young can be boring.We loved the place and fortunately my wife is beautiful,friendly and exciting...oh and she did miss school and she was like me, never clicky ,never boring..oh! and only the boring will be offended by this review.so this review is really a self evaluation...test....but there is still time to change if you are under 75 years of age.Get out there and stop being a bore.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kaatok

Reviewed 2 December 2008

Just returned from a week at the Bitter End. Great experience, lot of fun, and terriffic ambience.

I was there for seven days, my partner joining me for the last four. My main purpose in going was to take advantage of the sailing school on property and earn a basic keel boat certification (which I managed to do!).

What's great about the Bitter End is the very laid back ambience. You can spend the entire day barefoot and in your swim trunks. It's the most totally casual kind of island mood you can imagine. And of course, the location in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda is just one of those very special places in the world. You'll never forget the scenery around you.

That said, the resort is defineately tatty, not at all "fancy". Rooms are quite well situated for views, and have everything you need in them, but they are really quite basic. The bed is comfy enough, plenty of towels, and those views! On balance, what else do you need.

The staff is among the overall firendliest I've ever met in the Carribean, where, to be honest, service and satff attitude can sometimes be a problem. On the first few nights when I was there alone, the dinning room staff took extra special care of "poor" me. Front desk staff is very good. Everyone smiled and said hello, and many people addressed me by name throughout my stay.

The real point of visiting the Bitter End, however, is to take to the water. The range of boats and water crafts available is just astounding, the saling instructors are fantastic, and the range of boating activities offfered is marvellous. I would go so far as to say that if you don't enjoy being out on the water, on boats or sailboards or day sails, you really should not stay at the Bitter End. There are nicer places if all you want is a beach. But if you've got the boat gene, or want to learn to sail, this is the place for you!

The downside? Well, the food is really awful (let's just say it!). And the beaches at the property aren't really great (though they are pretty). Add in that the rooms are a little tatty (even the renovated ones) and that's the sum of my complaints. Take a look at the resorts web site -- they don't doctor the pcitures, and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

But, overall, we had a fatastitic time. Go and learn to sail, or just sail away if you already know how to, and you'll discover a great spot.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike14c14
Reviewed 11 November 2008

My family (husband and two children 11 and 8) have just returned from a fantastic week at the Bitter End Yacht Club. We already knew it was a beautiful location having been there 18 months ago on a charter yacht. We wanted an activity holiday with lots of watersports options, hoping to encourage our younger son to take up sailing which is our big passion. But I also wanted a luxurious and relaxing break, with time for myself, and to feel like I had a real holiday. The Bitter End Yacht Club gave us everything we wanted - a beautiful location with fantastic stylish rooms, verandas overlooking the yellow sand beach and azure blue sea - and a hammock! The choice of boats from the watersports centre kept us all fully occupied - and the fact that it was all totally included in the price meant you were happy to use all facilities as much as possible. The resort was well maintained, clean and with fantastic friendly staff - the fresh water pool with its bar and food servcice made a great location for lunch every day, and we enjoyed the variety of a la carte or buffets offered in the beautiful Almond Walk restaurant every night. There was masses to do - different events on every day and excursions - or you could just pick a secluded sun lounger on one of the several choices of deserted beach around the resort and chill out, knowing the children were safe and occupied - usually snorkelling, in the pool, or doing some watersports from sailing, to kayaking or windsurfing. As an active club sailor, I also enjoyed the friendliness of the yacht club bar, and the camaraderie of the other guests. But you don't have to be a sailor or watersports enthusiast to enjoy the Bitter End; we really enjoyed the morning yoga (I never thought it was such hard work!) and the spa facilities. Can't recommend it enough - a really fantastic holiday. Any bad points? Well the mossies were apparently unusually bad so I'd recommend taking some sprays or anti-itch devices (but you could buy them from the resort shop), and it's quite a journey to get there - but really well worth it. Next time - I'd go for 2 weeks and charter the BEYC's yacht so we could have a few days touring the BVIs as well and enjoy both a land based and yacht charter holiday. High point - getting my son to love sailing - he's even keen to do it now back home in the winter.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank sallysailor
Reviewed 18 July 2008

We stayed at the Bitter end early May 2008. Overall we had a great stay, good times, great activities every day, access to boats, sail boats, snorkeling gear. Definitely go on the excursions to the baths, Normand Island beautiful snorkeling! sunset sail...
Lovely scenery and atmosphere all over the BVI. Resort grounds are very nice but beaches are narrow not as inviting as other areas.
Small pool. Great staff very helpful and responsive.
Accommodations: No room keys and safe is in the lobby area.
We were in a beach villa at first, but there were no curtains or A/C. Although temperatures are cool at night staff kindly moved us to the North suites (slightly older, currently being renovated but clean) which have curtains and A/C. All rooms require a walk uphill sometimes on unpaved roads. There are taxis/golf carts available, but after midnight lobby staff and cabs are no longer available. Food was fine, atmosphere nice, romantic, private, quiet. Good crowd at the resort. All rooms have patio and stunning views. Great place overall.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2008

This was my third trip to the Bitter End, and it was just as wonderful as my first two trips there. The rooms have a nice sea breeze, and a fantastic view of the North Sound, and of the sunset. The rooms are not luxurious, but have a mini refrigerator, a large shower, a porch, a clean bathroom, many cabinets, and a few chairs and tables, along with two comfy beds. Though your room doesn't have a tv, you don't need one, because you spend your whole day outside. The food was nothing amazing, but tasted good, and didn't get boring after a week. The beaches are large, quite empty, and have pavilions. The staff seem friendly, and are willing to accommodate your needs. The water sports are excellent, and take you on an optional trip every day, such as snorkeling, sailing, or exploring other islands, or places on virgin gorda. If you aren't satisfied with where the scheduled trips take you, then you can charter a boat, and go wherever you want. The resort has a large variety of boats that you can sail around the north sound, such as Hobie Cats, kayaks, whalers, optis, and more. I plan on going back next year.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2008

My husband and my 2 1/2 year old daughter visited the Bitter End in April. It was our fourth trip to the Bitter End (my 6th) and the first visit with our daughter. I have always said that what you pay for at the Bitter End are the outdoor activities and the beautiful setting on North Sound. There are so many things to do and EVERYTHING is included. We're sailors, so having the clubfeet of hobie cats, lasers, windsurfers, kiteboarding, kayaks, sunfish and daysailers at our disposal, not to mention that every day there is a day trip somewhere fabulous on either their sailing Catamaran or large double decker powerboat has made it worth it to us. You get up in the morning, throw on your swimsuit and coverup, have breakfast on the water loooking out over North Sound, go for a day trip, or if staying behind, take out a Hobie cat, play on the beach, take a snorkel trip (2 local snorkel trips offered daily), lunch, beach or then to the pool - some combinatin of this means you're outside all day long.

We only head back to the room when it's time to get ready for dinner. And this is a good thing, because for years we have stayed in the North Sound Suites and they are barebones (no tvs, etc.) and in serious need of some updating. (I've heard the Beachfront villas on the otherside of the resort are wonderful since they were renovated a few years ago.) We stay in the suites because they have a/c. Our suite this year was particularly disappointing (thick dust on light fixtures, sticky counter tops) although when we called down to complain it was cleaned immeditately. While cleaner, it was still old. Also, with a toddler who needs a nap, we were in the room more often than in past years, this was unfortunate.

Beacuse we had our daughter with us, who was too young for the kids club and the day trips and snokeling, we spent most of our time on the beach and at the pool. The pool is lovely but there are better beaches in the Caribbean. Also, there are a lot of steps to the rooms up in the hills. So my advice is to wait on the Bitter End until your youngest is at least 5. Especially when you consider that to get to the Bitter End you take two planes and a boat -- all the travel and transfering can be hard on a little one.

The service is very, very good. There was some mix up with the provisioning I had requested when we arrived, however, everyone I have ever come in contact with at the Bitter End has been lovely, friendly and helpful. They were so sweet to my daughter, and housekeeping went above and beyond on more than one occasion for us. (Washed our daughter's much need blankies in less than 2 hours so she could have them for bed.) You are on island time but the staff really does care. The excellent water sports staff is also willing to go the extra mile and is knowlegable and accomodating.

The food is good when ordering a la carte. If you stick to the meal plan, you could eat all three meals in the same restaurant. There's a pub that's not on the meal plan with pizzas and burger (a sailor/chartering hangout) but lunch at the pool is included. They'll also bring drinks and lunch to you on the beach.

Also, skip Leverick Bay (across the Sound from BEYC), we took out a Bradly (22' powerboat) to have lunch there one day and waited over 2 HOURS for a terrible lunch. We will never return.

The Bitter End is a laid back sailor's paradise that may be in need of some updating. However, if you're outside all day anyway, it's not that big of a deal. Speaking of deals, the Bitter End is one of the best in the Caribbean. Everything, all excursions, meals, some drinks, watersports, sunset cruises is included in their Admiral's package plan. We'll return again and again.

If you go, pack light and casual, you really will spend the day in your swimsuit and only get dressed for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2008

The BEYC is not a luxury resort. It does not have great food or great service, the rooms are somewhat primitive, and the nightlife would be better if it were non-existent. However, if you want to play in the water,(and frankly, why ELSE would you go to Virgin Gorda?), and you are not going to charter a yacht or bareboat, then this is a great place to stay.

My wife and I stayed there a week. We loved our beachfront room. Yes, there were a few lizards to greet us, and there was no AC, but we happen to like lizards, and you really don't need AC when the trade winds are blowing.

The food is buffet style for the most part, and although it was pretty good, it wasn't especially outstanding. We love West Indies cuisine, but most people who stay here are Americans & Euros who are not what one would call "adventurous" when it comes to food. They wanted steak, and they wanted lobster, and by golly, that's what the Bitter End will feed you! The service was not spectacular, but how can it be when there is no room service and you need to help yourself at the salad bar?

The music at night was horrendous! Adult contemporary is not a genre that should ever be mixed with reggae or soca, no matter how white or how pampered the audience!

OK, so why did we like the Bitter End?

First of all -- this place is all about the water. Sail, powerboat, wind surf, sail board, swim, scuba, snorkel -- do it all!! This is the spot. If you don't know how, they'll teach you. And let's remember, the water here is spectacular!

The staff could not have been friendlier. You can imagine the stupid kinds of things these folks need to deal with when Thurston Howell III wannabes show up from Westport CT in their little sailor ensembles. Indeed (and inexplicably), many of idle wealth seem to gravitate to this spot. Yet, the staff at the BEYC were very patient and very warm, and seem undaunted by the trivial pursuits of the uberclass. From the water sports staff to the restaurant and front desk people -- they were all very friendly and inviting. (Share a beer with them, and you will hear some really funny Gilligan stories! You could not imagine the stupid things people will do out on the water!)

For those not wanting to skipper their own craft, the BEYC has excursions every day to neighboring islands, dive spots, snorkel spots, even booze cruises. My wife and I had so much fun on these that we barely had time to take out the boats ourselves.

If you want to play out on the water every day, the Bitter End is the spot. This place is not about service and luxury, it is about sport and adventure. It is about getting wet and playing in the water.

As my wife pointed out, The Bitter End is like camp, a water sports camp for adults and their families, and water sports camp is not for everybody. If you want to be pampered, eat fancy food, and suck down foofoo drinks, go to the Four Seasons. (Better yet, stay home!) However, there are few places in the world I have ever seen that are more suited to playing in the water -- even for the uninitiated.

If you love water -- you'll love the Bitter End.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Sebastian's on the Beach
Sebastian's on the Beach
#1 of 13 in Road Town
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!