“If I payed $300/night (MAX $450) I would have given it a 4/5” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bitter End Yacht Club

Bitter End Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
Kuwait
“If I payed $300/night (MAX $450) I would have given it a 4/5”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

I payed more than $860 a night, so I had reasonably high expectations for this place. I am sure at the time it was build this place was hip, but not anymore.

The pros:
- Pleasant staff.
- Good food (island standards), if your getting the all inclusive package and not paying $45 for a meal.
- Available facilities, for example, canoes, scuba, trips,...

The cons:
- Dirty rooms (please see pictures).
- Old and unattractive rooms.
- Physically far room.
- Complementary 2 small bottles of water only for the first night.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AlmondWater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Mt Pleasant, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

We were married at the Bitter End on March 6, 2010. We traveled with 62 friends and family. The Bitter End was everything we were looking for in a destination wedding - namely, not a chain, not limited to just all-inclusive rates, great location, good wine and food options, beautiful, friendly and organized.

We had visited the BEYC three years agao and fell in love with the North Sound area. This was our first stay at the BEYC although we had day tripped in numerous times.

Rooms: We loved our room in the Beachfront category. the views were beautiful, bathrooms remodeled, decks lovely. We did not have any bugs or spider issues. We kept our doors and windows shut during the day and night, but left the screens open and never had a problem. Some of our guests stayed in the North Sound Suites. These rooms were larger, but a little more dated. They had A/C, but smaller porches and the bathrooms and furnishings had not been redone. They were clean and fine, but nothing to write home about.

Service: We planned a wedding there without taking a visit during the planning stages. The staff was extremely accomodating and were quick to respond to questions. This was hard to find in many smaller non-chain Caribbean hotels. It did end up pouring rain all day, but the staff worked to accomodate our party and made a rain plan that really dazzled our expectations.

Food: The breakfast was filling and varied. Menu and buffet items are available. Lunch, I prefer the poolside menu to the restaurant or the pub. Maybe I just love a great turkey sandwich, but I wasn't looking for a filling lunch or a seated lunch. The pub always had great service. Our wedding meal was scruptious. Lobsters grilled to order, pumpkin soup, plantain salad, were all being talked about for weeks after.

Night life: The North Sound is a quiet spot, but clearly the Bitter End is the place to go "out." The pub was hopping everynight and we really enjoyed the DJ, the games on the outdoor, big screen and the friendly staff. The pub closes around 12:30. My apologies to any guests who our group may have disturbed. We were feeling festive and mmay have been louder than normal.

Acticities: The activities are great from the BEYC. We did a private snorkel trip for our group and had a great time. The guides put us at a spot where we could swim and have great visibility without too many waves. My husband took the Anegada day trip and loved it. Other friends took the day trip to the Baths and thought it was a great day excursion as well. Lunch is packed and towels and water provided.

Travel: It is a trek. We had folks from CA who had to red eye out the night before. One couple who did that got in at 3pm the next day, the other couple at 9pm. Most folks from a non-hub East Coast city or even the Midwest (chicago) left around 6 or 7 am and got in around 9pm. The folks who stayed over in San Juan had an easier trip, but took two days travel time. The North Sound Express was great at working with folks and no one had to miss out because of travel arrangements despite the blizzards inteh northeast that weekend and the rain during the course of the weekend.

Our crowd/ our expectations: We were professionals from all over. Mostly mid-30 year olds to some sixty and seventy year olds. Did have a few 4 year olds who were too young for kids camp type activities, but who had a ball. Most of our crowd travel for work a lot and stay in luxury hotels regularly. All were satisfied withe arrangements.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cbernard1sc
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

The Bitter End is a cool little area with restaurants, pubs, etc...great views, lots to do, very picturesque, the staff is very friendly, blah blah all that is good. What I want to warn you about is the rooms: We arrived and were informed that in addition to there not being a TV nor wifi available in the rooms, there were also no locks on the doors- this means that anyone could go into your room at any time if they so chose to- it is a kleptomaniac's DREAM. Also, there is the issue that you are not alone in your room: every night hosed a new surprise waiting for me upon my return: lizards in my bed, gargantuan spiders, lizard feces on the floor....I barely slept a wink as I spent most of my time looking for something to come crawling on me....if you are the rustic type, then this is the place for you! But if you are like me and do not wish to share your bed with a critter, then look elsewhere for accommodations. Also, be prepared to walk at least 10 mins to get from your room, aka treehouses up in the jungle, to anywhere on the resort- or you can call a "taxi" to come get you.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

I have been slow to review my vacation but here it goes. My wife and myself stayed at the Bitter End Yacht Club in November. We stayed in the hill side room with Air-Conditioning. Loved the view a very laid back resort with great dining and alot to do. We stayed for 10 nights so we had access to the boston whalers to explore the small surrounding islands at our leisure, they even packed a lunch for us. The water is warm and beautifull and seclusion is the best. We went on some of the included activities like to Anagada and on the snorkiling trip. Whew how much fun is that. Just a great vacation we were on the meal plan and dinner is great beach side vary casual and we even upgraded one night to the lobster. Very large and worth th 19.00 additional. Would love to go back again and again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mclar385
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

Great spot with terrific activities. The restaurant needs a serious overhaul. Service was okay, but food was bland, repititive and gernally uninteresting. If you're a foodie, stay away.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

I am hard to please but I can't think of much to complain about with this resort.
Great Rooms, Very nice staff, Good Food and general nice ambiance. Love the location, easy snorkeling, top notch house keeping.

Positives: Most Staff, Rooms, Scuba Team, local hikes, water sports.
Negatives: Not always so polite to children when they are on their own. (a safe environment is where I allow my daughter to experiment with going for lunch on her own with a friend and the staff sometimes wouldn't serve them)
Spa could use some sprucing up.

Overall had a HEAVENLY stay and would return any time. LOVED it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Family_o_fun
Baltimore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

We had a nice 8 days at the Bitter End. All the people who work for the hotel are very nice and try to be accommodating. Our room as well as all rooms, had an incredible panoramic view. The hobie/laser fleet is in good working order. It was wonderful to explore the surrounding islands and go to secluded beaches. The kids had fun playing pool at night. We had a wonderful day chartering a boat and going to the Baths and the caves as well as a few other great snorkeling sites.

That said, the rooms are really pretty worn. Our shower drain had a been bent and a big piece of metal was sticking up. Also it didn't work when we first got there (although they remedied that very quickly). They were clearly overwhelmed by the holiday crowd. I would say 80% of the meals were buffet seemingly because it was the only way they could feed all of the people. There is no gym at all, the "outdoor" gym has fallen apart and no one seems to care. We hiked the hills every day which was good exercise but we did have one very rainy day and there was NOTHING to do! No backgammon tables, ping pong, tv, internet.

So although it was a fun adventure our family sadly says they will not return.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Peter Island
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
#1 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!