“Very Good, but Not Great”

Peter Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peter Island
Columbus, Ohio
“Very Good, but Not Great”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is the first time we stayed at this property and it exceeded our expectations. My wife and I stayed in an second floor Ocean View room for 5 nights in November 2013. We had a partial ocean view since our view from our balcony was partially blocked by the Club house located next to the pool. The rooms further out on the point did not appear to have this issue. Our room was rather small but more than sufficient since we did not speed much time in it. We had a King sized bed that was relatively comfortable. Our package included the American meal plan consisting of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Breakfast and lunch were average. Dinners were above average when you were able to order off the menu; however, the two buffet nights left something to be desired. You could get away with just eating breakfast and dinner if you did not want to purchase the full meal plan. However, lunch provided the greatest value since the portion sizes were quite large. Our favorite beach was Dead Man’s beach. Going to White Bay beach was worthwhile; however, we thought Honeymoon beach was nothing special. We highly recommend watching the sunset at the loop at least once. There was a good mix of people staying at the resort. I would say about 25% were honeymooners, 25% babymooners, 25% retired vacationers, and 25% other. I would stay at this property again and strongly recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: The Ocean View rooms further out on the point have better ocean views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Loco_Leprechaun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
BRUSSELS
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Visiting my husband who is currently working in the BVI's we decided to spend the weekend at Peter Island. It is not the most exclusive hotel we have ever stayed at but for this part of the world it is excellent.
Wonderful rooms (I suggest the beachfront junior suites) with very comfortable bedding; immaculate and very spacious.
The staff is very friendly and accomodating, hard to find in a nation where people are not really known for their level of service.
Beautiful spa in a gorgeous setting.
The food was absolutely superb and the service warm and professional. The highlight was the food and wine pairing evening; absolutely recommended! We whall return! And will definetely recommend the property!

Room Tip: Villas and Seafront Junior Suites
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DFWJ
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Truly a very special place - well off the "beaten path." Now, let's get something clear here - this isn't Motel 6. Be prepared for over-the-top sticker shock. Want to spend a night in the "Falcon's Nest"? The fee PER NIGHT is $9,000! Of course, you can "slum it" for a week in a nice ocean view bungalow in the off-season (hurricane season) for a mere $3,173 for an entire week. The food is very good. The bar scene is fun and the service is exquisite - sort of expected at the price. My daughter also enjoyed The Boutique - a very well-stocked clothing and jewelry store.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank DocSkier
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Peter Island was an amazing honeymoon location. My wife and I traveled there in early-October, and we were concerned that it was in the middle of hurricane season, but the weather was perfect and we had a blast. In fact, the resort was at low capacity and so we had even more of the amenities to ourselves.

We flew in to Tortola, and landed around 6:30 p.m. The reception was very professional: we were greeted after clearing customs, put in a car, and driven to Peter Island's dock where they have an air-conditioned waiting area. We didn't have to wait -- the boat was waiting on us -- but they did give us some cold drinks to take on the boat. When we arrived at the island, the staff gave us the delicious welcome drink and took our luggage to our rooms, but since we arrived late (it was after 8 by that point) they drove us straight to the restaurant for dinner. When we got back to our room, there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us... a very nice touch.

We stayed on the second floor of the ocean view room closest to the point. It was nice being at the very end where there was hardly anybody passing by. While I'm sure the beachfront rooms are very nice, we were not disappointed with the ocean view room.

We did a snorkeling trip to the Indians, did the sunset loop trip, visited White Bay Beach (complete with the picnic lunch, which was a lot of fun... get Cabana #6 as other have said... it's right next to some great snorkeling), did a half day at honeymoon beach, and did the catamaran sail to the Baths (also highly recommended). We wish we had been able to sail on the Silmaril, but it was out of the water for the month. We toured the spa, which was very nice, but did not do any services there. But probably our favorite activity was just lounging on the beach with a cold drink and a good book.

The food at Peter Island was very good. Coming from Houston, we have a large variety of good restaurants, and the food at Peter Island did not disappoint. I especially liked the fish dishes at dinner. The only thing I would add about the food was that it is certainly priced as if you're eating in a fine dining establishment, and since there are no other options on the island your tab adds up fast. We did not do the meal plan, and it worked out in our favor.

If you get a chance, do the wine tasting and the wine dinner (we did both, and they were both a lot of fun). Rimple (the wine guy) is awesome, and had a lot of interesting knowledge about the wines.

We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Second floor near the point was secluded and had a nice balcony to look over the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lammy_S
Carrie S, Manager at Peter Island Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to spend your honeymoon with us at Peter Island Resort and Spa! We are honored and flattered that you celebrated such a momentous life occasion with us, and are so glad that you and your wife had an enjoyable trip. How wonderful that you had the chance to take in so many of what our island has to offer, like snorkeling, the sunset loop, and of course the opportunity to lounge on our beaches. We are so glad you enjoyed Chef's Lisa's cuisine in the restaurants, as well as the wine dinner with Rimple. Rimple just recently joined us on the island, so it is fantastic to already be receiving positive comments about him. Though I can't say I am surprise - he is fabulous! Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to share many memorable celebrations with you in the future as well.

Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was our second visit to Peter Island. We traveled here on our honeymoon and back last week to celebrate my husband's Birthday. I wondered if there would be a difference. If our first visit had been colored by the honeymoon mood but Peter Island did not disappoint. If you are looking for a place to relax, where the staff caters to your every whim (happily), this is the vacation destination for you. We stayed on the beach in the junior suites. They are comfortable with beautiful views. The chef is world class. We tend to dine out a lot when we are home and we were never disappointed by a meal on Peter Island. We enjoy how the island makes you feel like you are the only guests. The various beaches provide a choice with Honeymoon Beach allowing you to spend time alone with your favorite person (that would be my husband in my case.) There is snorkeling along the rocks of the island or you can venture off the island to numerous snorkeling destinations. We sailed on the Silmaril to Norman Island to the caves (which inspired Treasure Island) and snorkeled with one of the crew (Lindsay) to see fascinating underwater life. We also went on a half day sail on the Silmaril to Cooper Island for a late lunch, sailing back in time to witness a gorgeous sunset. Highly recommend spending 1/2 day or full day on the Silmaril. We visited the Spa and received a couples massage--very relaxing. There are other water sports available if you want to participate as well as a manager's cocktail party. There is also a small workout center with treadmills facing the Caribbean (makes a workout easy.) If I were to offer one recommendation, it would be that the beach cushions need to be added/upgraded with more shade options. I am sure we will return a third time. Peter Island is a little slice of heaven.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Karen A
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for joining us for both your honeymoon and your husband's birthday celebration! We are always touched to be selected for such celebrations, and honored to be a part of your family's most important moments. I am so glad that you had an enjoyable experience both times, and appreciate all your kind comments about our island, food, and staff. How wonderful that you were able to receive a couples massage! Our spa is such a treasure. We take your feedback about the beach cushions seriously and will see that they are replaced. We hope that you will be back to visit your little slice of heaven again very soon! We look forward to hosting you and seeing you once again.

Bermuda
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Originally I set out to give my stay three stars, but as I write this from another island (again on business) I have changed my mind!

Let's start with the inside of the room. It is average and really was not that different from the new wing of the Moorings. Internet work fine enough. Not enough outlets in the room. I slept fine in the bed. Water pressure was sufficent though the tap was pulling out from the wall. I had a room overlooking the dock, which I actually enjoyed. The hills are just beautiful.

Then there is the ferry ride each morning to Road Town and back. It's actually quicker than I thought but something to consider if you are there for business. The first leaves at 8am and you can return to the hotel at 10:30pm.

Food was fine. My dinner was great (lentil stew) though my coworker did not like his. Also, be aware if you have a gluten alergy. The server / chef made a switch on the menu item which turned out not to be gluten free, even after explaining about my other coworker's gluten alergy. Breakfast is a traditional assortment of muffins etc, fruit and eggs in the buffet.

What made the difference here is how much I enjoyed my interactions with each employee. Colin was lovely. There was a great older lady who, upon overhearing that I was on the 8am ferry technically before breakfast, took me back to the restaurant to pack up food for me. The receptionist was also friendly. Just lovely all around.

Learning that you can take a ferry from St. Thomas might also be a tipping factor for the next time I travel here for work and out weight not being directly on Tortola.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us while you were traveling to the area on business, and for taking the time to write this thorough and helpful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you took note of our fantastic staff, whom we are so fortunate to have. They truly are what make Peter Island "that place" where you can feel pampered and cared for. We take your other comments seriously and thank you for your feedback regarding the updates needed in your room. I would love the opportunity to find out exactly which room you stayed in so that I can ensure these issues are addressed. If you would be so kind as to contact our General Manager Wilbert Mason directly at WMason@peterisland.net that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!

massachusetts
Reviewed 10 November 2013

When researching for this trip to Peter Island (PI) I found it difficult to get a lot of good helpful When researching for this trip to Peter Island (PI) I found it difficult to get a lot of good helpful information. Hopefully this review will answer some questions you may have.

Arriving:
We arrived to PI via St. Thomas. As directed on the PI website, we checked in at the Tropical Tours (TT) desk. TT provides the transportation from the airport to the ferry boat. We were directed to get our luggage and come back to the TT desk where a driver was waiting and took us immediately to an open air taxi. The ride from the airport to the ferry takes 10-15 minutes depending on traffic.

Our “ferry” for this trip was a 52 foot Sea Ray, much more of a yacht than a ferry. We loaded our luggage on the boat and had a few hours to grab lunch and shop before the appointed departure time. When we returned to the boat another couple had arrived and we waited a few more minutes for one more couple. The actual ride to PI is about 90 minutes and includes a stop in Tortola to clear immigration. The boat crew handles this for you and you don’t need to get off the boat. Drinks and very light snacks are provided on the ferry ride. When you arrive on the island, a representative meets you gives you a welcome drink and a quick island tour before dropping you at your room.

The Room:
We had an ocean view room on the 2nd level. If I had it to do all over again I think I’d ask for a first floor room. In addition to being bigger by about 80sf the ability to walk from your patio to the grounds would be nice. However it should be noted 2nd level rooms have more privacy. Not only is there an actual wall between the decks where the first floor rooms have lattice separating them i.e. you can see between them but people walking the grounds can see into a first floor room easier if the louvres aren’t closed.

The room and bathroom were “tired” but clean and completely functional. the 2nd floor rooms have cathedral ceilings with exposed beams which I personally liked. Our room was missing robes and beach towels but a quick call to the front desk and they were delivered. The fridge in the room was initially stocked with two caribs (beer), two diet cokes, two cokes, two bottles of water and two tings (grapefruit soda) Whatever you used, with the exception of the beer, is replenished every day. My favorite part of the room was the shower. There were two louvered windows at shoulder height that when opened up looked out through the palm fronds (remember we were 2nd floor) and than to the water. It was as close to an outside shower as you could get My one complaint about the room is it wasn’t relaxing to sit on the deck because of a noisy a/c unit in the neighboring building clunking continuously.

Everybody says to go for the beachfront rooms and I guess if money isn’t a consideration they are certainly correct. However they were more than twice the price of the water view rooms the week we were there and I just couldn’t see paying the extra giving that we really only used the room to sleep and shower. From a location perspective folks who stay in beachfront rooms are coming over the hill for breakfast, the pool, front desk, store, and dinner at tradewinds while folks in water view rooms are going over the hill for deadmans beach, deadmans beach bar and grille and the water sports desk. All and all I’d say no matter where you stay, it’s a pretty even split the number of times you’re walking over the hill.

The Resort:
First and foremost, the pictures don’t lie. The resort website is probably the best one I’ve seen for accurately reflecting what the resort actually is. No trick photography here.

The beaches, flora, amenities are all wonderful.

Deadmans beach is long, scenic, has gently lapping waves (obviously weather dependent but the whole week we were there it did), has plenty of quality seating and also plenty of shade. Beach attendants will give you a flag that you can raise if you need drinks and/or lunch. We spent most of our beach time here.

White Bay is on the opposite side of the island and is accessible, for all intents and purposes, by shuttle only. There are 7 very well spaced “huts” on the beach. One hut is reserved either for the owner of the island or for the villa guests, i’m not sure, but either way there are only 6 huts available for use and these need to be reserved at the front desk. You need to tell them when you want to leave (typically on the hour) and when you want to come back (typical 15 past the hour) Hut 6 is the most popular because it is closest to the good snorkeling spot (which in my opinion wasn’t that good) but we liked hut 3 because it was set back in the mangroves and couldn’t be seen from any of the other huts. Each hut contains 4 lounge chairs, two for inside, two for outside, a table and two chairs and the all important bottle opener which is attached to one of the support beams. I’d highly recommend you arrive at the lobby a 10 minutes before the shuttle leaves and ask the front desk for a cooler and ice. Pack the cooler with the drinks from your room and buy a few beers or whatever from the lobby bar. There is a cooler of water and bathroom at white bay but that’s it so you need to be prepared. If you forget something, it’s not easy to go back and get it.

I think honeymoon beach is WAY overrated. It’s really just the far end of deadmans and frankly you get more privacy at white bay. deadmans is a cove with the beachfront rooms on one end and honeymoon on the other. You can see from the beachfront rooms directly across to honeymoon. Additionally, you can see it from the entire left half of deadmans and there are often catamarans parked right in front of it. Bottom line, it may be just the two of you there but it isn’t as private as advertised.

Sunset loop is again on the far side of the island, is accessible by shuttle and reservations need to be made. When you make your reservation they will ask you if you want a fruit/cheese tray (included w/ meal plan) and any drinks. When the shuttle drops you off they will set up your food and drinks on a table for you before departing. They come back in about an hour or so to pick you up. The night we were there the sunset was SPECTACULAR, if you go i hope you get a sunset similar to the one we had.

As you may have inferred from my room description, I feel the resort is essentially divided into two main portions. The front desk, pool, tradewinds restaurant, shop, etc are on one side of the hill and deadmans beach, deadmans beach bar and grill, the gym and the water sports hut are on the other side. It’s roughly a 5 or 6 minute walk over a smallish hill (small compared to the mountains which comprise the rest of the island) from one side to the other. The island does provide a shuttle but most folks walk. This brings me to an important point. Both halves of the resort are serviced by one main road and make NO mistake about it, it may not be wide but it IS a road. It is used by all the service vehicles (a surprisingly high number of them in my opinion) and guests walking back and forth. There is a posted speed limit of I think 15mph (it may be 10) but regardless all that means is the vehicles drive at about 30 until they see you and than they slow down---sometimes. You will learn very very quickly to keep an eye out for vehicles Please don’t get me wrong, there isn’t a constant line of vehicles but I’d guestimate that 80% of the time we were walking back and forth we were passed by a vehicle at least once.

Food:
In general I felt the food was good. I found it very ironic that the meat (tenderloin, pork chop) was cooked better than the fish. I had fish several times and it was always over cooked. The Buffet is awesome. We didn’t do the wine dinner (my wife doesn’t drink) but I wish we had. I heard nothing but rave reviews from the people who did participate. Same for the wine tasting.

Overall this resort compares favorably to other high end Caribbean resorts we’ve visited. My wife liked the isolation and tranquilness of the resort and while I did appreciate the quietness I found myself wishing I could walk down the beach to a locals beach bar or try some different restaurants.

Room Tip: Make your reservations for Sunset loop and White Bay soon after you arrive
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
18 Thank plev
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to visit Peter Island Resort and Spa for your vacation, and for writing this extremely thorough and helpful review for our future guests! Your insights are fantastic. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit overall, particularly the spectacular sunset. I hope that you and your wife can join us for another getaway sometime very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peter Island
#7 of 25 in Tortola
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
#1 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Peter Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!