“Stingray Sailing, Grand Cayman”
Review of Stingray Sailing

Stingray Sailing
Ranked #6 of 199 Tours in Grand Cayman
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Remember when customer satisfaction came first? We do!! At Stingray Sailing, you will get to experience the main attraction in Cayman, swimming with the friendly Southern Stingrays, and you will get to do so with a company who's bottom line isn't a dollar sign. As a proud, family owned and operated business, we focus on getting to know our guests on a personal level, while at the same time, providing life long memories. With limited spaces, only 25 per tour available, you are guaranteed to be treated as a friend, not just a number. We offer relaxing tours done on board a beautiful, 43 foot sailing catamaran, to the world famous Stingray City Sandbar; and whether it is swimming with the stingrays, snorkeling the coral reef, or just enjoying the beautiful Caribbean sun and water, Stingray Sailing is committed to helping you make the best of your time in Grand Cayman. With daily tours scheduled to accommodate both cruise ship and on island guests, booking your tour is just a quick email or phone call away! Join our family, we look forward to having you on board!
Reviewed 15 March 2009

My wife and I booked our excursion with Stingray Sailing over the internet prior to our cruise aboard the Ruby Princess. We arrived into port @ approximately 7:30 am on the 24th of February. As arranged Captain Chip was awaiting our arrival with a Stingray Sailing sign and we along with 6 others boarded Chip's air conditioned van for the short trip to the marina to board the catamaran. We were the first boat to arrive at the sandbar at Stingray City and after Chip gave us a brief "how to" we had a wonderfull experiance with the many stingrays. Chip and his crew hand also joined us in the water and they were very informative. The best part of the excursion was the fact that it was a small group (8 plus 3 crew) and the boat was very spacious. We saw many other boats with 50 to 60 people per boat!! Certainly a very great and memorable experiance. Way to go Chip!!

3  Thank mattilac

Reviewed 4 March 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful first anniversary sailing with Captain Chip Whitney on the Far-Tortuga, a 43 foot sailing catamaran.

After booking my first cruise ever, I started researching the best activities with the best providers at each location. There are several vendors with good reviews to Stingray City but we were absolutely delighted that we chose Stingray Sailing. Most of the excursions are regular motorized boats packed with people. Not Stingray Sailing as Chip likes to limit it to 25 people even though he can carry considerably more.

I emailed from their website www.stingraysailing.com and Michelle promptly wrote back (She's Chip's wife.) She already knew the time our ship arrived and that we were the only one in port that day. Once we made the final reservation, she quickly acknowledged and even sent a map to know exactly where to meet them since Grand Cayman is a tender port with more than one dock.

We were the only two scheduled for last Friday (2/27/09) and that couldn't have been a more perfect way to celebrate our anniversary. Chip has a great van (even provides a step stool!) and the trip to the marina went quickly.

Chip explained that he was somewhat concerned about the amount of wind and that he would not put us in any risk if we arrived at Stingray City and were unable to swim due to wave action. And he made it clear he wouldn't charge us for the day if that was the case. (We didn't pay up front.) Unbelievable! Where do you find a business willing to honor your reservation even though you're the only two and it might be futile if the wind worsened?

On the way out, Chip made sure that we located several very large iguanas, slowing down and pulling close to shore so we could get a good look.

The wind actually lessened so we had a wonderful time. He set anchor away from the crowded boats. Chip personally took us into the water and explained exactly how to safely feed squid to the stingrays. We were free to spend as much time in the water with the rays as we wanted.

Next came the reef which was just a few minutes away. Chip made sure we were comfortable swimming and knew how to snorkel. He had great equipment, even providing my husband with a special mask since he has a beard. Chip looked in a couple of places where a large moray eel hangs out in order to show him to us, but was unable to spot him that day. He swam around some especially good areas to show us the ropes, then let us explore on our own.

Sailing back to shore, we were provided with fresh cut fruit and drinks. Marvelous day. Chip is a jewel. Although he was born and raised on Grand Cayman, he looks and sounds like an American. When I asked, he said he tries to speak so as his customers can best understand him. He also went to college in the US so is familiar with US culture as well.

Go with the best! Choose Stingray Sailing for the best time ever while on Grand Cayman.

2  Thank AlizaSojourner
Reviewed 1 March 2009

As a family of four, we went on a 7 days Caribbean cruise one week ago and had a port of call at Cayman island. After seaching the internet and reading reviews we settled on Stingray Sailing. We couldn't have been more pleased. Captain Chip met us promptly at the port as directed. That day, we were the only four people that booked the trip. We then rode a short distance in his nice, air conditioned van to the yacht club where his catamaran sail boat is located. He gave us a private tour with a boat that can easily fit 30 or 40 people. We sailed directly to StingRay City. On the way there Chip showed us two big, orange iguanas hanging on the mangroves. At the stingray city sandbar, he had a bucket of squid & we got to feed & play with the rays. The squid attracted many stingrays to our spot although there were some other big boat with loads of people not far from us. The rays immediately came over & we interacted with them until all of the squid were gone. The sandbar is so lovely and the water is beautiful and warm. This is truly a paradise and it was an unbelievable experience. We then sailed a short distance to the reef to snorkel. Very nice snorkeling with lots of fish, vegetation and coral. We stayed at the reef until we all felt tired while Chip is preparing to sail back. After we got back to the boat , Chip served us fresh fruit and drinks. When we got back to the cruise ship i told all my friends that we had our own private chartered boat.
We had a great day. It was relaxing, uncrowded and a unbelievable expirence. Pricing is $45 adults, $30 children.
His website is stingraysailing.com. Our family highly recommends this excursion if you are fortunate enough to go the Cayman Islands! I felt that this is the best shore excursion during the 7 days West Caribbean cruise and I have to let people know about it. I will definitely do it again if I had a chance to go there.

5  Thank BostonGlobetreker
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My wife and I sailed with these guys on 2-25-09 in Grand Cayman to stingray island(Stingraysailing.com) on his boat the FAR TORTUGA with owner Chip and Capt. Bert. These guys are top notch " Two of the Best out there". Dont be fooled by the others & Dont waste your time booking those cruis ship tours when you can save 1/2 the price a person by booking with these guys. He only takes out a max of 25 people so its very nice and relaxed. The day we went out was very windy and the conditions werent that great but Chip and Bert gave the best shot possible to let everyone on the boat experience the stingrays. We did get to swim a few moments with the rays but the conditons were just to dangerous. Chip and Bert quicky realized this and had everyone get back back on the boat for saftey concerns. There were other boats out there that were packed and they were putting all there people @ risk letting them swim in those conditions. Eventhough we only got to swim a few moments and we were warned of the possible conditions before we set sail, they gave everyone on the boat (17 of us) a full refund. This just goes to show what kind of top notch tour this is. I can guarantee those other companies would not have done that. Our trip was cut short but we still had a great time with these guys. Anybody that leaves these guys any thing under 5 stars must be crazy! We will be back to visit stingraysailing soon! Go check there site out www.stingraysailing.com. They also have the fastest replies out there! Give them a shot, you wont be sorry!

6  Thank chasenfires
Reviewed 23 February 2009

I found Stingray Sailing through this website and contacted them via email to see if there was availability during our cruise stop. Michelle replied to right away that there was space, and sent specific directions for how to find them when we disembarked our cruise ship.

We had to tender in and Grand Cayman was an hour ahead of ship time, so we were about 45 minutes LATE for our tour. Michelle was waiting for us, and never even mentioned that we were late (we didn't realize it until later). She was so friendly, and we walked over to wait for our van to take us to the catamaran. Since we were so late, the original bus had to leave, so we had to wait a few minutes for another, but, it came, we boarded (there was a total of 20 of us that day), and were on our way.

When we arrived at the marina, I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the boat. There was plenty of room, and my 2 young kids quickly made themselves at home up at the front, where they could lay down and look into the water. Chip and Captain Burke greeted us, and sailed us out to the sandbar. Chip also explained to us that it had been a bit rough in the morning, as the winds were strong, but that it should still be okay to go. He also said that if we got there, and didn't feel comfortable about getting in the water, we would not be charged.

The waves were pretty big, but we all got in the water (they have life jackets for the kids). Chip got in with us, with a bucket of squid to feed the stingrays. The stingrays started coming around, and we all got a chance to pet them, and feed them if we wanted. It was an AMAZING experience....

We then went to a spot to snorkel. I stayed on the boat with my kids, as they didn't want to snorkel, but my husband said the fish were amazing.

We started sailing back, and all of a sudden Chip jumped into the water. He came up with a sea potato to show us! He did this several times going down and coming up with 2 starfish. He kept looking for things to show us...the kids LOVED it!

Overall, I would say this experience was the highlight of our entire cruise. Stingray Sailing is a fantastic company (Michelle is Chip's wife), and I would recommend this tour to everyone I know. This is definitely the way to do the stingray tours...avoid the crowds and get a really personal experience

5  Thank 2_little_monkeys