“LCM DAVID NICHOLSON”

Reviewed 24 July 2010

This is a great dive, close to shore at the amazing Sunset House. My wife and I were lucky enough to be inside the wreck when the Atlantis submarine came by on a tour and we both got to wave hello to the riders inside the sub. Very cool. This is a great attraction for SCUBA divers visting Cayman and I'd highly recommend it. I also should add that my dad is the David Nicholson that this wreck is named for - so excuse the bias;-) Miss you pop!

9  Thank BurningFish
Reviewed 7 July 2006

Based on its 1:30 PM departure time from George Town, we tried to figure when the tourist submarine “Atlantis” might arrive at the wreck of the LCM “Nicholson” – where Jordan and I had encountered it two years earlier – but were not even sure if this wreck was on its regular itinerary. Incidentally, LCM (Landing Craft, Medium).is the Navy designation for this type of World War II vessel (about 60 feet long and 18 feet wide) which carried troops and armored vehicles from larger ships to an invaded beachhead. Because the Nicholson is located some distance from the shore, we swam out about 2:00 PM on the surface to conserve the air in our tanks. It was an arduous journey, especially because a fairly strong current kept carrying us east. However, we made it, and after resting a few minutes while hanging onto the buoy anchored above the Nicholson, descended to the wreck. Atlantis never showed up, but it was nevertheless a nice dive. We penetrated the engine room - which was later occupied by a large Barracuda - and also saw a medium-sized Nassau Grouper as well as many other reef fish which tend to gather around a wreck.

4  Thank lajollabob