Ael y Bryn Hotel
Cadwgan - Inn(Dyffryn Ardudwy)
TripAdvisor
The Old Farmhouse(Dyffryn Ardudwy)
TripAdvisor
Ystumgwern Hall Farm(Dyffryn Ardudwy)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsnew ownerssteakgroupon dealsalmonfour poster bedboth nightsweekend breaksea viewbridal suitebar areagorgeous viewsate herefeel very welcomesunday lunchevening mealfriendly hotelgood size
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We and another couple stayed for two nights in June on a Groupon deal. Cannot praise staff enough, all were very helpful and pleasant. We had continental breakfast which had the usual foods and quite adequate. Rooms good size, clean and nicely decorated. Extra touches in bedrooms with small bottle of sloe gin and sweets as well as tea, coffee and biscuits. Evening meal had good choice but some May say pricey. If you have mobility problems ask for first floor room as other floors are accessed by narrow winding stairs. I would stay here again because of previous comments and also location of hotel close to many interesting and lovely places to visit.

Room Tip: Only scored 4 as our room was up the narrow stairs which I found difficult but having said that how many times do you go to your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My partner booked a two night upgraded stay in the four poster room through Groupon. He had not realised how restricted this would turn out to be. We were informed after payment had been accepted that the room would be unavailable until October !!! Not wanting to visit in the Autumn and not being able to get monies refunded, we reluctantly settled for a double room. Upon arrival we stood in reception for a good 5 minutes before realising we needed to ring a bell. Kevin came out of the kitchen and showed us to our room. Initially the room looked lovely but it seems to have been a rushed job...handles missing off the chest of draws, a bank of extension plugs placed on top of the draws, no mirror in reach of a plug, so anyone wishing to style their hair, take your own mirror. The bathroom was clean but tired, towels too small, shower took ten minutes to warm. We had a small balcony badly in need of painting......as for sea views...well take your binoculars, whomever stated there is a sea view must have bionic eyesight. The views of the countryside are beautiful though.The bed appeared small although comfortable, we slept well and it was super quiet.
We were told we could have toast cereal and fruit for breakfast and if we required a cooked breakfast then this was an additional cost of £6.95. This is the first time in all my many years of travelling that a cooked breakfast has not been included.
As per the Groupon offer we could have an evening meal each to the value of £13.95. They were clearly struggling for staff. After 20 minutes of waiting I asked the 14 year old waiter if he would take our order, which he did. ( what a lovely young man, polite, pleasant and run off his feet) My partner chose pork and leek sausages with mash and I had the chicken caeser salad. My partner has a hearty appetite and his meal did not suffice, nor, did he enjoy it. My caeser salad was utterly disgusting and at £13.95 for iceberg lettuce saturated in caeser sauce with chunks of chicken and bacon was way way disproportionate. All the staff working at this hotel are really lovely and couldn't do enough for the guests and owners Kevin and Sian are very friendly and welcoming. However, we would not visit again.
On our second evening we ate at the quirky The Last Inn in Barmouth, 5 miles from the hotel, here we were served the most fabulous sirloin steak meals we have had in some considerable time, not cheap but so worth it. The Inn itself has a great atmosphere, pleasant jazz music playing in the background and an amazing internal mountain well...a must see.

Room Tip: We had room 6 and it appears to be the only one with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdv3
Sian C, Owner at Ael y Bryn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Yes, I was somewhat surprised at this review too! Firstly, this deal was 2 nights for 99.00 including dinner for two! Good deal I think! Also, I would like to point out that there is a plug just to the left of the long mirror on the wall in room 6, where there is a balcony. You are right, this balcony is in need of a pain and will address this. However, as we are just starting out and doing everything possible to secure a successful business, we have to prioritise coasts and this maintenance job is not at the top of our priority list.

The meals we provide are substantial in size and surely, if you were not happy with the size or the food prepared then you should have addressed this with me at the time and I would have been happy to look in to this. I always want customers to go away full and happy. I will discuss the Caesar salad with the chef.

You are right the water does take a long time to warm up...it's an old building so that's expected. Unless we spend thousands on re-installing a complete new heating and shower system, this will remain like this. It's something I plan to address once we have the money to do so.

Oh and the reception thing...I don't think the deal stretches to employing someone to stand on reception for 4 rooms to check in...do you? That's why it says, please ring the bell for reception staff.

Quite honestly, I am disappointed that someone who gets such a good deal, complains about the tiny things and forgets to mention ALL the positives. Very disappointing that this was not addressed at the time and very surprised at the comments. However, your feedback is appreciated.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed for two nights in May for my wife's birthday celebration. We had a two course evening meal on both nights. The food prepared by Kevin was superb. We had a continental breakfast on both days and after the meal the night before this was quite adequate. Our room was on the first floor at the front of the hotel with a wonderful sea view over the fields. As well as the usual facilities in the room there were some nice extra touches like slow gin, sweets and bottled water. Kevin and Sian were excellent hosts, very friendly and young Logan did a good job assisting in the restaurant on our second night. All the staff were very nice and cheerful. The only negative point was the low water pressure in the shower.
We would recommend staying at this hotel especially if you wanted to visit Portmeirion as we did, it is about 14 miles away.

Room Tip: Our room was no. 2 and had the lovely sea view. Have an evening meal in the restaurant.
1  Thank David T
Reviewed 19 May 2014

we stayed 1 night in this hotel room lovely room 8 views stunning staff polite and always willing to chat about the area around very helpful kevin has got an excellent place kevin and sian are doing very well ael y bryn they so attentive with all the extras in the hotel dvd selection books galore toys for children, to many other things to mention great idea the lamb we had for our evening meal was amazing best lamb in wales or any place we have visited the breakfast choice was really good and cooked lovely ,we met so lovely people whilst there we if you go there you will leave as friends best welcome from all staff see you soon kevin and sian for sure keep up the great work

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We got a great deal from Groupon, two nights B&B and dinner on first night. Please note this deal includes continent breakfast, which I found more than plenty, but Groupon haven't made this clear.

We paid a little extra for the deluxe room, which was lovely. Sian gave us a warm welcome and showed us to our room with its brass bed. The view from our room (no 2 ) was stunning, two comfy chairs placed strategically in front of the window made you want to stay and enjoy it! There were tea and coffee making facilities, biscuits, sweets, a good hair dryer, all nice little touches to make you feel welcome. The double bed was very comfortable, the room nice and quiet.
Our evening meal was excellent. Probably the best salmon I have tasted in a long time and my husband had the best shepherds pie ever, made with big chunks of lean lamb. Dessert was also delicious, helpings generous. Wine was a very reasonable price. The staff were lovely, we felt very much at home.
Breakfast was better than many 4star hotels. There was a huge selection of fresh fruit and cereal, toast and preserves. For a mere £7 extra you could have the Welsh breakfast, my husband said it was one of the best cooked breakfasts he's ever had, with quality local produce.
We ate in the hotel again on the second night and the food was just as good. The prices are so reasonable, you don't need to go anywhere else to eat, the quality would take a lot of beating.
The owners create a nice atmosphere, making it easy to make new friends to chat to.