“A Cayman classic in middle of George Town” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating
Grand Cayman
“A Cayman classic in middle of George Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Yummy local food and quaint cottage feel - A Cayman classic in middle of George Town

Watersmeet, Michigan
“The Place for a Cayman Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed 2 months on Grand Cayman and before we left, I wanted to try Corita's Copper Kettle for the cod and ackee breakfast. We walked to George Town from Seven Mile Beach just for that. We were very disappointed when we were told that it had sold out by 10AM. The next day I called before we walked into town. I was told they did not have it that Friday. On Monday I called again. Corita answered and said she had it and served it until 11:00. She assured me she would take care of me when I came. We walked to town by 9:15. We sat down and asked for the cod and ackee but were told it was sold out. Somehow, Corita heard the conversation and asked the waitress if we were the ones who called that morning. When she found out we were the ones, she came out of the kitchen to talk to us and said she would make some special for us. I was happy about that. The restaurant is frequented by locals who go to the counter and order their meal. Some take it with them; others sit there and eat. The ackee is a fruit grown in Jamaica. Our dish was ackee with small pieces of codfish mixed together with onion and pepper. The way it was prepared, the ackee looked like scrambled eggs. Along with it, we were served a boiled green banana, plantain, and fritters. We enjoyed a large glass of orange juice squeezed by Corita. The breakfast was very filling! If you enjoy trying different foods, I highly recommend a visit to Corita's. If you want the cod and ackee, I also recommend calling before you go so you are not disappointed. The restaurant does not accept credit cards.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank MilwaukeeSunseeker2
San Jose, California
“Local fare, Pricey and expected better!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

After reading the reviews, I wanted to try this place for lunch on the day we were in Grand Cayman off our Cruise ship. A very small place that was an easy walk for Cruise ship people. Down Fort street, make a right and its on the left side of the street. My wife had the Curry chicken and I've never seen so many bones in a cut up chicken! I first ordered the fish special only to be told 10 minutes later that they were out of it and had the Conch burger which came with fries. All in all ok at best, but $24 including tip was a little high even for Grand Cayman.

• Visited January 2012
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Quaint greasy spoon hole in the wall -- like a diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Went here at 0630 with a buddy. Sign said "Open at 6 a.m." but when we walked in the owner seemed a bit startled (folks aren't big early risers around here for breakfast). Only option was the house special bread, ham & cheese sandwich, which we gladly ate. It was a big sandwich and was quite tasty with homemade bread. Coffee was black and strong. This is just a plain ole' diner type of place with mama's home cook'n. I would definitely go back. 2 breakfast sandwiches, 2 OJs, 2 coffees, $16 CI, $20 USD.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Captain_Random
New York City, New York
“very authentic Caribbean fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Finally made it to Corita's for lunch after my first attempted failure because it was already closed when we visited around 3pm. Corita's closes early so make sure you're there early since they only serve breakfast and lunch.

The restaurant is a small shop right on the corner around Heroes Square. Not much about appearance but the food is definitely good. We tried the curry chicken and the oxtail both of which were very very good. The curry was not very spicy but flavorful and the oxtail was stewed very soft just the way it should be. Definitely worth a stop if you're in Georgetown and looking for an authentic Caribbean meal. The only negative is that it's pretty pricey just like everything else in Grand Cayman (and you're not paying for the ambience).

• Visited November 2011