SUNSET HOUSE has a couple of positives, the restaurant on location has excellent food. The shore diving is good with a wall not too far out, great location for photography with an SLR housing from shore. They also have an open water confined salt water pool to conduct classes. The bartenders provided great service.
NEGATIVES: The dive shop staff is rude and condensending. They do not evaluate divers for ability nor do they make any effort to help inexperienced divers. The "divemasters" lecture on no solo diving, however, they jump in the water hit the bottom "solo" while waiting for divers to come down.
Then the "divemasters" while guiding a tour swim with free diving fins at full speed while inexperienced divers struggle to keep up sucking down all their air and the result for new divers is a very short dive or potential cardiac and or out of air situation.
The dive shop manager is in total denial of the incompetence and unprofessionalism of his staff. They 'claimed" to have fired one idiot divemaster after several of us voiced our concerns.
In short the, professionals in our group will not return do to the lack of concern for safety with the staff of this dive shop at Sunset House.
Hotel room: The shower is pathetic, intermitent hot and cold. The toilet seat needed replacement because it had a permanent poop skid mark on the back.
The air conditioner was so loud we couldn't sleep well at night.
WE ALSO GOT BED BUG BITES!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No Resort Fees!!! Best Value on Island! We have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! A perfect place for your scuba diving or snorkeling vacation! Packages include Breakfast, transfers from Airport and so much more! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands