“GREAT DIVE RESORT”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Lubbock
“GREAT DIVE RESORT”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Sunset House Dive Resort was amazing! The hotel is your average hotel, but very friendly, homely atmosphere. The bar and restaurant was a wonderful place to meet up with your new buddies after a dive. The dives were awesome. I am not sure what the review stating the coverage of the island is restricted, because we went all over the place. The divemasters knew our names the day of arrival, and made sure we went to various dive sites. It was BY FAR THE BEST DIVE VACATION I HAVE HAD!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cdewbrern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Sunset Hotel is more like a dive motel. The hotel staff was cordial and nice but the amenities were very average. As to Sunset divers, they have nice boats but are restricted in their coverage of the island to few hundred yards from the docking site at the hotel even when you submit a request (very counter culture to the dive industry). There is one specific site "cheeseburger reef" which I could have snorkeled to without the need to hitch a ride on their boat and as you can surmise from the name, very unimpressive. What shocked me the most is the dive staff attitude that was so indifferent, aloof, unpersonable, and the least hospitable-nothing you expect from the islands. It was shocking to our group of 15 divers that was renting their boats for 5 consecutive days. I had the opportunity to dive with another small group a subsidiary of Cobalt Divers on the Island which was a major treat. At the end of the day though the experience was very average it was nothing that a couple of virgin drinks and the company of my good friends could not make up for. I definitely will not be going back to dive with them again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DrPhil555
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Sunset House is the best place to stay for diving in the Cayman Islands. Great dive boats, great dive masters and the most fun bar on the island. We had an ocean front room with sunset views every night. Ocean pool for diving from shore, lockers for your gear and breakfast each morning before your dive. You are close to town, if you want to walk in for dinner. Perfect dive vacation.

Room Tip: get an ocean front with Balcony.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlotte
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We just finished our stay and this was a great spot if all you care about is diving and more diving. The dive staff, especially Trevor and Aaron were excellent. Well prepared and professional. I'd recommend to them while guiding a dive they try and look for / point out the more interesting animals rather than just swim around.

The bar staff, especially Larry and Julia were great. Larry even gave us a ride after work to a local bar to save on the ridculous cab fares. He also set up a nice after hours area for us to play dominoes and drink. It couldnt have been better.

The hotel made up for the 2 star accomodations and broken pool (leak being fixed) by giving us an extra room w/o prompting. We had 3 to a room booked and they did it to give us more space. Nice unprompted jesture.

Diving was the best part of the trip with the unlimited shore diving, and fun morning boat dives. I liked the small wreck and beautiful wall around the corner off the shore of Sunset. The lockers were a god send because you dont have your wet stuff stinking up your room.

I'd go back again with the same dive buddy crew, but its not nice enough to take my wife there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Hotel is very basic in all respects. The floor was dirty. The diving staff was excellent. My 10-yr old daughter was certified and the instructor was pateint and thorough. I liked that they were all very experienced and atht there was an excellent satff ratio to divers on every dive. I felt it was very well run, extremely persoanble staff. My husband & daughet thought the diving was excelelnt. I snorkeled and the visibility was great. I have wonderful memories. If you do not dive or snorkel, the beach is a a bit removed and you may not like it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We really loved Sunset House - the people there are great and the diving is amazing. I really appreciated always having a divemaster in the water with you. I can be navigationally challenged anyway, but there were features in the water that I never would have investigated on my own but was comfortable to follow a guide into - like the fantastic swim throughs! We have done some diving in the Keys and had to pay a guide to get in the water with you - and it's not cheap - and they're not particularly attentive (at least not the ones we've had). The Sunset House divemasters were constantly checking on us, coming back to make sure we saw specific fish or features and doing safety checks (air). I know there are tech and wreck divers who would think this is tantamount to "babysitting" and wouldn't want to do this - but you don't have to stay with the guide. You have the choice to go with the guide or go off on your own - and there are fantastic walls to challenge the more experienced divers. I am AOW certified and I reached a depth of 100 ft without a hint of anxiety - watching my air/depth and taking all necessary precautions but just relaxing and having a great time.

The food was good - so were the drinks. The shore diving was a blast!! it was so much fun to come back from a 2 tank dive in the morning, have lunch and a nap, and then go grab a tank for an afternoon shore dive to see the Mermaid statue.

The room ... eh ... it's a dive resort ... not lavish, but we weren't looking for the Ritz either. The bed was comfortable (and we've stayed in some nice places that had some uncomfortable beds!). We heard that they're doing a remodel of the rooms too, so maybe next time will be nicer?

I wanna go back ... no, I didn't want to COME back!! I recommend Sunset House for novice to experienced divers. There really is something for everyone. Oh, and the Kittiwake was a great dive too (wreck in 60 ft of water - easy for beginners).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimbalabala
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Sunset House was clean, had 2 king size beds in the room, fabulous ocean views, quality food and excellent service. The onsite dive operation Sunset Divers was one of the best operations we have ever used. They really had a customer satisfaction attitude. All of the staff were knowledgeable, friendly, accomodating and fun. Divers had the choice of following a guided shallow dive, guided deep dive, or doing your own thing within their safety guidelines. We prefered to follow the dive masters; they were very attentive and did a great job of pointing out special critters. The staff changes your gear inbetween dives and the SunSet House provides gear lockers just off the dock area. We had heard rumors about Grand Cayman being "dived out" but we couldn't disagree more. The corral was beautiful and full of life. The caverns and swim throughs are worth the trip.

Room Tip: Pick Ocean View! Double slider w/ porch or balcony water front.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!