Let me preface this, this review is coming from a dedicated diver with over 2500 hours of actual bottom time.
If you're looking for a simple but wonderful dive vacation, not too far from home, Sunset House, in Grand Cayman, should be on your list. They are well organized and specialize in creating a fabulous dive experience for all, from experienced diver to neophyte. The staff is caring an attentive. Most of the dive sites are only a short ride from the dock and their custom made dive boats are fast and very seaworthy. Both air and Nitrox fills are available. What I truly appreciated about diving with sunset House is that they respect the experienced diver. So may dive centers today follow the tea bag dive program. That is, a square dive profile with everyone going in at once and coming out at the same time, based on the poorest diver with the worst air consumption. Sunset's dive masters will lead and stay with divers requesting that. However, experienced divers are permitted to follow their computers. Of course, Sunset does subscribe to the Cayman Dive Association, so no dive from their boats may exceed 100ft in depth. Boats depart for single and two tank dives in the morning and afternoon. Twice a week, night dives are offered. Of course, one need not wait for the boat to dive as there are to entry points for shore dives right on the hotel grounds. The entry point is about ten feet deep and gradually deepens until you reach the first wall at about 85ft. There's lots to see in both animal and plant life. I love spending my leisurely night dives in this area. If you have a rental car, a drive to many of the shore entry points around the island are well worth it. Oh, and lest I forget, right now Sunset house is offering a special package for the Single Diver, on vacation alone. It includes ground transportation, a full breakfast every day, two tank boat dives and even a welcoming gift.
Going beyond the diving, Sunset hosts "My Bar" where fabulous drink concoctions, and of course, Red Stripe beer are served. This place is so well known that many of the locals come to meet, greet and feast on the incredible sunsets. Come up from a dive and relax in the sun while having lunch at my bar or take it over to the pool. For dinner, a feast at their Sea Harvest restaurant overlooking the water is a must.
Georgetown is just a short walk along the coast from the Sunset House compound. Here you can while away an afternoon jewelry shopping or sampling local delicacies. The Tortuga Rum Cake is a must. If you want to shop for liquor to bring home, you will find it is less expensive here than almost anywhere else in the Caribbean. For the non-diver, there is even a submarine experience available.
To sum this up, Sunset House is not a fancy hotel with a lot of glitz and glamor but is everything the dedicated diver is in search of. When you're there, say hello to Keith Sahm and say Yoda says Hi as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No Resort Fees!!! Best Value on Island! We have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! A perfect place for your scuba diving or snorkeling vacation! Packages include Breakfast, transfers from Airport and so much more! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands