There are 2 different aspects to this resort:
1- The diving (Excellent)
2- The accommodations (Poor)
Amazing dive location! Unlimited free shore dives is a dream come true, with unlimited free air tanks (80 cu ft)! Convenient, guided, and safe boat dives. Incredibly friendly & knowledgeable dive professionals. Even when bad weather crept up, the staff knew when to close and then reopen the shore diving. Free lockers available for dive gear. A big tub for rinsing dive gear. Lots and lots of areas for drying the gear in the sun!
Well maintained landscape. Clean swimming pool with adequate space for sunning and relaxing. Waterfront rooms have the basic necessities, we were told by some guests. Because of last minute reservations, my brother and I ended up staying in a courtyard room. No coffeemaker, safe, hairdryer, or iron in any of these courtyard rooms! Common Really?
However, when I asked, I was lucky to get the last iron & board, & hairdryer! Had our coffee with the morning breakfast at the restaurant, which had good food and service.
Checked in on Friday with no Internet service except at the bar "My Bar". Checked out on Wednesday to fly to Little Cayman, and still no Internet but at the bar. To us, and most guests, it's totally unexceptionable in this day and age!
The solution to this resort:
1- Upgrade the rooms.
2- Fix the Internet.
3- Have the same type staff who currently run the dive operation run/manage the resort accommodations.
After taking the above recommendations, this resort would become one of the best in Grand Cayman Island!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No Resort Fees!!! Best Value on Island! We have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! A perfect place for your scuba diving or snorkeling vacation! Packages include Breakfast, transfers from Airport and so much more! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands