A group of people from our local Dive Shop descended upon Sunset House in February 2013. The hotel was clean, staff friendly, and the restaurant really good. We were there for a week and enjoyed it very much. Our dive experience may not have been typical since we were in a group, but I enjoyed it very much. There were lockers at the dive shop where we could stow our gear in between dives. The diving off-shore from the hotel was great. It's a quick swim to the mermaid statue and from there either along the reef, out to a little wreck, or whatever looks good.
We saw a good number of fish, turtles, eels, squid, and -- a highlight for me -- manta rays off into the distance. We took dive excursions to Stingray City and the Kittywake. Both were great fun. Having the resident moray eel (aged, mostly blind, and harmless if you leave her alone) swimming among us at Stingray City was a treat.
Our room was spacious and the staff did a great job keeping it clean. We had an ocean view room and enjoyed standing on our balcony watching people and ships go by. While the rooms were not up to the standards of luxury resorts, they were just right for us. We had no complaints whatsoever.
Cathy Church photography has a store and gallery on site. It is worth visiting even if all you do is look at the pictures. There are prints of her pictures for sale ranging from just a few dollars on up. They make great souvenirs.
I was amazed to learn that there is a large "East Indian" population in the Caribbean. Three of the five nights we ate at the on-site restaurant, I had wonderful Indian food; becoming addicted to their chicken Tika Massala. The other two nights I tried Caribbean specialties and thought they were quite good too.
My wife and I would return to Sunset House without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No Resort Fees!!! Best Value on Island! We have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! A perfect place for your scuba diving or snorkeling vacation! Packages include Breakfast, transfers from Airport and so much more! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands