“Awesome time”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
annapolis
“Awesome time”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed for a week in an apartment room with an adjoining double. The staff were very friendly and accommodating of any needs, the dive shop staff was very accommodating, courteous and knowledgeable. Shore diving was simple with tanks, lockers and rinse tank easily accessible. The restaurant food (Indian menu) was fabulous and the wait staff attentive and proficient. The owners made us feel most welcome and we would definitely return and recommend to friends. Grand Cayman can be expensive overall, but we felt we got good value for our trip. Thanks for making it great!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
suffolk uk
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just a big thank you to Sunset House, for making our precious holiday time so special as always, The subtle improvements year on year add to the pleasure of visiting Sunset. Would certainly recommend the resort to not just experienced divers, but also the beginner, novice or newly certified diver(s) either as a couple a group or a single individual!! the diving discipline and extremely high standards of instruction are as good as it gets!!!

If your first fin strokes to explore the wonderful underwater world are at Sunset you will have a bench mark to judge other resorts by!!!

The dive operation is educational, professional and most importantly safely run a credit to the owners and a testament to the staff!

We all had a relaxing holiday from the 21st Oct thru 2nd November 2013 .Great diving on the boats and off the shore , fantastic food and service at My Bar and great house keeping too!!

The other Guest's on the boat were a great bunch to many names to mention but you know who you are !!

As for you Clint what a great example of a newly certified diver , was a pleasure diving with you. and lastly sad to see Charlotte , Rob and Trevor departing for new adventures But great to meet Jess , Lee ( the only other person who knows were dobbs weir is) and John all a good addition to the sunset team!!

If you want a family dive destination head for Sunset House !!

Thank you Karin , Keith and Murphy for the resort management exceptional an hope you take up kit's suggestion of the walk of Fin's at sunset for us regular guest's would love to leave our mark at Sunset

Nick , Kit, Sam and Freya

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 November 2013

A group of people from our local Dive Shop descended upon Sunset House in February 2013. The hotel was clean, staff friendly, and the restaurant really good. We were there for a week and enjoyed it very much. Our dive experience may not have been typical since we were in a group, but I enjoyed it very much. There were lockers at the dive shop where we could stow our gear in between dives. The diving off-shore from the hotel was great. It's a quick swim to the mermaid statue and from there either along the reef, out to a little wreck, or whatever looks good.

We saw a good number of fish, turtles, eels, squid, and -- a highlight for me -- manta rays off into the distance. We took dive excursions to Stingray City and the Kittywake. Both were great fun. Having the resident moray eel (aged, mostly blind, and harmless if you leave her alone) swimming among us at Stingray City was a treat.

Our room was spacious and the staff did a great job keeping it clean. We had an ocean view room and enjoyed standing on our balcony watching people and ships go by. While the rooms were not up to the standards of luxury resorts, they were just right for us. We had no complaints whatsoever.

Cathy Church photography has a store and gallery on site. It is worth visiting even if all you do is look at the pictures. There are prints of her pictures for sale ranging from just a few dollars on up. They make great souvenirs.

I was amazed to learn that there is a large "East Indian" population in the Caribbean. Three of the five nights we ate at the on-site restaurant, I had wonderful Indian food; becoming addicted to their chicken Tika Massala. The other two nights I tried Caribbean specialties and thought they were quite good too.

My wife and I would return to Sunset House without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Daryl,

Thanks for sharing the kind words and we look forward to hosting Pacific Watersports back down again soon! Say hello to Karen, Al, Judy, Audrey, Renee, Dale and all the rest of the gang! All the best, Keith and Karin
New York
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we were greeted like family. Friendly, professional, efficient staff. Brought our bags to the room. Food was delicious. Diving terrific!! AMAZING crew. Knowledgable, hard working yet happy. Best dive resort!!! We had so much fun! No stress just relaxation. Beautiful waterfall in the pool. Sea pool great for snorkeling or taking a dip. Cathy Churches photography was amazing. What a fabulous place, a divers paradise.

• Stayed October 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have organized a photo shoot for today.
Even though I was told the reef there was in pretty bad shape by multiple instructors working on the island, we decided to do a quick photo-shoot.
My plan was to shoot a model next to the Mermaid statue, they have on their house reef.
The other attraction I wanted to catch was the submarine which passes by few times a day.

I called the submarine company to confirm their times and location of the passing the day before.

I called Sunset House Dive shop an hour before we arrived to check on conditions.
I was told there was a little current but the diving was great.

When my model and I arrived we were told there were no tanks available.
No Nitrox. No air. Simply NO TANKS for outside customers for at least two hours.

That would already be after the last submarine passed and we also had other plans for the afternoon.
We were told we were not allowed to bring our own tanks either.

I am marking Sunset House with the lowest ratting as I feel that a dive shop not being able to rent dive tanks is terrible.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Petpon
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Petpon,

I am sorry for your disappointment in not being able to shore dive from our shore on Wednesday. As General Manager here at the resort, it is my due diligence to comment on your accusations and apologise to all our wonderful guests that I can't seem to find the time to respond to all. For our wonderful Guests here at Sunset House, Karin and I (oh, and Murphy) cannot thank you enough for your great reviews!

You start out saying that you "organised" a photo shoot at Sunset House. Yet, you never called to set up tanks or see if tanks were available in advance. We are very busy this week with guests who are on packages here at Sunset House. This will always be fact, we will cater to our own first, outside business second.

While we value everyones business and you would think that having over 400 tanks at our disposal, that we would be able to cover everyone, but when we are full, we cannot accommodate all.

In future, since you called to make sure the Sub would be going out (which was South of us). While you called us to check on conditions, maybe let us know you are organising a photo shoot and reserve tanks for such an important occasion.

These scenarios don't happen often, but can... And rest assured, all our Trip Advisor fans and guests, of who this Trip Advisor page is meant for, we will have tanks, weights, equipment or anything you need for a fantastic dive vacation.

And by the way, Petpon, our reef is in quite remarkable shape! Just ask any of our guests who dive it complimentary throughout their stay! No need to be slanderous in your remarks, because of your lack of attention to detail in organisation.
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just spent a week at the Sunset House. This was my 4th visit but the first time since Keith Sahm became the manager. Keith, Karin and Murphy :) greet and treat you like family. This was my first visit since the oceanview rooms were renovated and we really liked the upgrades and improvements. Having safes and hair dryers in the rooms is helpful. The bathroom renovations were well done.

The dive staff was very professional and brought us to nice dive sites. They asked for requests and many people on our boat did not like wrecks, so we did not visit any on the morning dives, I did revisit the Kittiwake, which i had Iooked forward to doing so I was good with wrecks.

As always, the food is very good at the Seaharvest and My Bar. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful everywhere on this property, including Cathy Church's Underwater Photo Shop!

Although I like to try different diving destinations, there are so many good things about the sunset house experience that compel me to return, and I look forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: would recommend an oceanview