“Another great Sunset House vacation.”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Another great Sunset House vacation.”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Divers paradise. Dive staff is great with AM and PM boat dives. Ocean view room and steps from shore diving. Rooms are nice size and comfortable. Breakfast included in our package and always good. My Bar is our favorite spot to enjoy great food, drinks, conversation and sunsets. Management staff goes out of their way to welcome you. Many, many improvements since our first visit 4 years ago. Dog lovers will love the resident dogs! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Great ground level ocean view room. Chaise chairs and picnic tables are so convenient great for rela...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Dallas
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My husband and I travelled to Sunset House for 11 days starting on Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time and in fact if a dive boat did not take us there, we never left the hotel. We ate every meal and had every cocktail at that hotel. This was a "dive vacation" for the two of us and we accomplished 19 dives in the 9 days (2 travel days.)

The dive staff were all very good and we both especially liked the option of diving on our own. My husband took a class from the Cathy Church group and spent a lot of time trying to put what he learned into action so it was good that we could separate from the others. All of the dive sites were great and we saw an amazing amount of fish - more parrot fish than I have ever seen in any other country!

My Bar was where we ate 99% of our meals and the staff at My Bar are really great. I still miss Julian, Julia, Eric and Jose and I have been home for 2 weeks now. They each contributed to making our trip wonderful. The food was very good and there was a wide enough selection that we only a few times duplicated our main course and again we ate all of our meals there.

The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. As others have said, it isn't the Ritz but I also did not pay for the Ritz. I paid for a clean, safe, dive hotel and Sunset House fulfilled my every requirement.

I especially want to say hi to Keith and Murphy (ok especially Murphy), seeing him every day from my balcony made me miss my own dog just a bit less and especially when I was lucky enough to meet him in person and give him a hug and pet.

If you are considering a dive vacation of any sort to George Town, I highly recommend Sunset House. Between the hotel staff, restaurant staff, bar staff and of course the awesome dive shop, everything is perfect here. They could have done nothing to make our trip better.

Room Tip: Pay extra for ocean view...the water was spectacular. We lived on our balcony most of the time.
1 Thank luv2go1962
Colorado
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The Cayman Islands is one of the best dive locations in the Caribbean. Most of the reefs are protected. We have been coming here for over 20 years. We haven't stayed at Sunset House for a long time because we have been staying and diving the North and East Sides and the Sister Islands. This is one of the better places for shore diving and that is why we selected it. It is close enough to walk into Georgetown. The rooms, like most other places have been totally refurbished since Hurricane Ivan. MyBar is a good place for lunch. We recommend the English style fish and chips and the dolphin sandwich. Seaharvest is a nice location for dinner but we thought the menu was limited and mostly Indian.

Sunset House meets our expectations for a dive resort.. Upon arrival, we were quickly given keys to our room and then went to the dive shop. After filling out the required paperwork, they gave us tanks and weights for a shore dive. They gave us a locker and we got 2 tanks for a night dive and put them in the locker since tanks are not left out after 5PM. The dive boats are clean, well equipped, professionally run and leave on time. There is a 2 tank dive on the West side (7 mile beach) every morning and additional afternoon dives to Stingray City and the Kittewake and some night dives that are not generally included in packages.

If you don't need to be on the beach and are going for the diving, Sunset House is a great place

1 Thank 2skidivers
Brooklyn, Michigan
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I just spent 9 nights down there. They provided a fun, safe, and environment in and out of water. The dives were incredible. I love Aaron' "topographical towels and shoe" when providing a dive site brief. The rooms were clean. Wifi signal was a little weak in the room. That would be the only thing that I would improve.

A few special call outs:

Dive shop: Aaron H, Sarah, John, Lee, Rhys, Simmon
Front desk: Bryan
Cathy Church's Photo Center - Diane W

Northport, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2013

What a great dive hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel has been recently upgraded with microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, and new furniture. I love this hotel and will continue to come back again and again. My Bar is great. Try the chicken stur fry

Room Tip: Go for the ocean front rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scubapro11768
Toronto
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is an excellent destination for scuba divers! As the slogan states, "a resort for divers by divers". Everything is timed to facilitate diving. The restaurant opens in plenty of time to eat comfortably and still make the morning dive boat. That boat is back in time for an unhurried lunch and then make the afternoon boat. We stayed in the newly renovated Ocean-view rooms and were not disappointed. Clean, spacious, and had everything you could ask for.
There is shore diving at your doorstep with the renowned mermaid statue a short swim away. There were a number of children there for several days but I don't see this as overly family-friendly, only because there isn't a beach and no real place for the children to play that I noticed. No one seemed to mind and they did entertain themselves so who am I to judge?
The food at the restaurant was delicious and the Indian fare option a real treat! Staff was friendly and helpful and the dive operation top-notch. Some of the guided boat tours ended up being guided 10 minutes out, 10 minutes back, then on your own for 30 minutes under and around the boat. It would have been appreciated if they pointed out some of the more unusual inhabitants of the reef, but being allowed to do your own thing with your buddy was also appreciated. Can't make up my mind, can I? Having world-renowned Cathy Church's studio and camera center on site was an added bonus. Photo pros galore, all willing to help you become a better photographer. We did 21 dives in the 7 days there so cannot comment on the night life (except underwater)! George Town is about a 15 minute walk but beware, there are no sidewalks so watch for cars and bikes!

Room Tip: The ocean-view rooms seem to be worth the extra. We had a visitor from one of the other ones and sh...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just back from a four day stay at Sunset House. Hotel staff are friendly and welcoming. Dive staff are awesome. All friendly, helpful, and entertaining. Boat and shore diving was great and they make it all so easy. My Bar was a great place to hang out and replay the events of the day. Food was always good. Especially the vindaloo.
Will be back for sure.

Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!