“Our home away from home”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Never written a review for anything but couldn't hold back from sharing our love for Sunset House with others. My husband and I have traveled to many dive locations but this is our favorite.
The only one we keep coming back to year after year since 2000. Why? It has everything to make your trip fun & memorable. You can start with a shore dive from the afternoon you arrive. The reef is filled with a wide variety of things to see. Over the years we have photographed turtles, stingrays, eagle rays, angel fish, nurse sharks, tarpon, free swimming moray eels, squid, varieties of juvenile fish, octopus, purple sea anemonies, crabs, lobsters,...and of course the mermaid. That's only the start to your diving experience. Each day you have awesome boat dives to different locations. The dive staff takes great care of you so you get the most out of each dive. You must try Stingray City. The interaction with them is so much fun. Then if you haven't had enough diving...at any time you can hop back in the water for another shore dive. We never tire of the reef at Sunset house. Don't forget to try a night dive there too. You have your own locker to store your dive gear in. The set up makes shore diving so easy. Ladders are set up for divers and snorkelers to come in and out of the water with ease. We've brought friends that got their certification here because its the perfect arrangement with pool and ocean so easy to use. As for the hotel facility the rooms are all remodeled, clean and comfortable. Made to order breakfast is included each day. The waiters take good care of you. My bar is not only a great place for drinks and food but a beautiful view too. Pretty sunsets at night. As for the staff...you will be like close friends by the end of your stay. We can't say enough about Keith Sahm (resort manager) and all he has done for us through the years. We look forward to coming back to our home away from home again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita20002013
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Anita,

What can I say, but to thank you for all your kind words... I remember your very first time with us and the fun bantering we have had over years.. I looked up and you have been here 11 times since we met... True VIP return customers... See you soon at Our World Underwater next month and look forward to seeing you again this fall again!

Warm regards, Keith (Karin and Murphy!)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

The Caymans has so much to offer, and Sunset House is the very best when it comes to hospitality and diving! It doesn't get any better than to stay at this secluded, layer back and beautiful location. My Bar is simply the best watering hole and gathering spot for great food and even better sunsets. The Resort managers, Keith and Karin Sahm took such good care of us and everyone.
Can't air to get back there!

Cgstpete@aol.com

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Divers paradise. Dive staff is great with AM and PM boat dives. Ocean view room and steps from shore diving. Rooms are nice size and comfortable. Breakfast included in our package and always good. My Bar is our favorite spot to enjoy great food, drinks, conversation and sunsets. Management staff goes out of their way to welcome you. Many, many improvements since our first visit 4 years ago. Dog lovers will love the resident dogs! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Great ground level ocean view room. Chaise chairs and picnic tables are so convenient great for rela...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My husband and I travelled to Sunset House for 11 days starting on Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time and in fact if a dive boat did not take us there, we never left the hotel. We ate every meal and had every cocktail at that hotel. This was a "dive vacation" for the two of us and we accomplished 19 dives in the 9 days (2 travel days.)

The dive staff were all very good and we both especially liked the option of diving on our own. My husband took a class from the Cathy Church group and spent a lot of time trying to put what he learned into action so it was good that we could separate from the others. All of the dive sites were great and we saw an amazing amount of fish - more parrot fish than I have ever seen in any other country!

My Bar was where we ate 99% of our meals and the staff at My Bar are really great. I still miss Julian, Julia, Eric and Jose and I have been home for 2 weeks now. They each contributed to making our trip wonderful. The food was very good and there was a wide enough selection that we only a few times duplicated our main course and again we ate all of our meals there.

The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. As others have said, it isn't the Ritz but I also did not pay for the Ritz. I paid for a clean, safe, dive hotel and Sunset House fulfilled my every requirement.

I especially want to say hi to Keith and Murphy (ok especially Murphy), seeing him every day from my balcony made me miss my own dog just a bit less and especially when I was lucky enough to meet him in person and give him a hug and pet.

If you are considering a dive vacation of any sort to George Town, I highly recommend Sunset House. Between the hotel staff, restaurant staff, bar staff and of course the awesome dive shop, everything is perfect here. They could have done nothing to make our trip better.

Room Tip: Pay extra for ocean view...the water was spectacular. We lived on our balcony most of the time.
1  Thank luv2go1962
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The Cayman Islands is one of the best dive locations in the Caribbean. Most of the reefs are protected. We have been coming here for over 20 years. We haven't stayed at Sunset House for a long time because we have been staying and diving the North and East Sides and the Sister Islands. This is one of the better places for shore diving and that is why we selected it. It is close enough to walk into Georgetown. The rooms, like most other places have been totally refurbished since Hurricane Ivan. MyBar is a good place for lunch. We recommend the English style fish and chips and the dolphin sandwich. Seaharvest is a nice location for dinner but we thought the menu was limited and mostly Indian.

Sunset House meets our expectations for a dive resort.. Upon arrival, we were quickly given keys to our room and then went to the dive shop. After filling out the required paperwork, they gave us tanks and weights for a shore dive. They gave us a locker and we got 2 tanks for a night dive and put them in the locker since tanks are not left out after 5PM. The dive boats are clean, well equipped, professionally run and leave on time. There is a 2 tank dive on the West side (7 mile beach) every morning and additional afternoon dives to Stingray City and the Kittewake and some night dives that are not generally included in packages.

If you don't need to be on the beach and are going for the diving, Sunset House is a great place

1  Thank 2skidivers
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I just spent 9 nights down there. They provided a fun, safe, and environment in and out of water. The dives were incredible. I love Aaron' "topographical towels and shoe" when providing a dive site brief. The rooms were clean. Wifi signal was a little weak in the room. That would be the only thing that I would improve.

A few special call outs:

Dive shop: Aaron H, Sarah, John, Lee, Rhys, Simmon
Front desk: Bryan
Cathy Church's Photo Center - Diane W

Reviewed 8 December 2013

What a great dive hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel has been recently upgraded with microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, and new furniture. I love this hotel and will continue to come back again and again. My Bar is great. Try the chicken stur fry

Room Tip: Go for the ocean front rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!