“Repeat customer”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great place to relax and enjoy life whether you are a diver, snorkeler or wave watcher. Great food with reasonable prices, amazing staff and the best 4-legged greeter ever! You must meet Murphy-you'll be friends "fur-ever". Thanks Karin, Keith, Murphy, Troy in the dining room and the rest of the wonderful staff at Sunset House.

Room Tip: enjoy having a room facing the water to watch sunrises and sunsets
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CookyeH
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thanks Cookye for your kind words and we cannot wait to have you back again! This has been a terrible winter for so many up North and we know you are still battling the effects of this winter! Thanks for spending some of it with us and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Warm regards,

Keith and the rest of the gang!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I just returned from my dive trip to Grand Cayman. I myself hadn't gone diving in many years and my friend had never been). We did a certification course together back in the US and did our open water while in the Caymans.

We opted for a dive hotel since the majority of our trip was dedicated to diving. The Sunset House was recommended by a family member who is a diver and also has stayed there. We knew we were not staying at the Ritz Carlton but the Sunset House did not disappoint!

Check in was quick and easy -- an employee carried our bags to the room for us. We opted to stay in an ocean view room with 2 double beds. This no frills hotel was more than adequate. The room was large and spacious, clean with comfortable beds. . There was A/C, a fridge, iron, hairdryer and TV (really? Im on vacation…i don't need TV. Weather- sunny and warm. Yep, sounds right). The shower was huge….two shower heads. Of course, we had a great view of the water. This is not a luxury hotel…..but if you want to get your money worth this is the place!

We checked in with the dive shop to get the details of our course the next day and check out the rental gear ( we didn't bring our own BC/regulators or wetsuits). We were issued a brand spanking new BC and other other gear had very little wear and tear! Next after we dropped off our stuff we headed over for our free drink at the bar. That rum runner didn't stand a chance! What a view….we came in on an afternoon flight and this timed our viewing the sunset at My Bar perfectly!!

The next day we met Tahvo and Aaron. Tahvo took care of our paperwork at the shop and let us know Aaron was going to be our instructor. Boy did we luck out with Aaron! It was obvious that he knew his scuba diving and he was also conscientious of our novice status. My friend was fairly apprehensive about the underwater thing. Aaron made us feel very comfortable and we both felt we were in good hands.

We did 4 shore dives with Aaron ( right at/off the hotel!) Can you believe we saw a few reef squid (cuttlefish), a puffer fish and a lot of other awesome stuff just right off the shore from the hotel! What a great reef. The next 2 days we did our first boat dives.

I guess we had to cut the Aaron strings at some time…. He was on the other boat (not ours). But Tahvo was there and we know he knew we were baby divers. He took great care of us and made sure we were comfortable on the boat dive- as did the other divers we met from Montreal. What magic these waters have….we saw a turtle almost immediately upon entering the waters!

Needless to say that the diving was a great experience! All the dive staff that watched us out during our stay were phenomenal. Special thanks to Aaron, Tahvo, John, Lee, Jess.
***We did do a dive with another company while there (Sunset dive time conflicted with another event we had scheduled) and it was NOT the same. Not bad…I just felt Sunset was more conscientious.

If ever going to Grand Cayman to dive this is the place for you!!! As a tourist not diving it will do also- quick 10-15 min walk to town, great staff, great food and drinks. (no room service). There is no beach at the hotel (rocky coral) but has a pool and a 10 minute walk to a great little beach/swim cove.

No other place I would stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank YaekoMarie

Thank you Yaeko for taking the time to share your experience here at Sunset House. We are happy to hear we met your expectations and look forward to having you again as a repeat guest!

We might want to add that not all rooms have two shower heads! :O) Just the suites and the beds are queens.

We do rotate our gear annually so that our guests have the best and latest Scuba Pro gear on the market.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I did not have a reservation and we were greeted at the front desk by Jennifer, Murphy and Karin with a warm welcome and a complete description of the rooms and packages available. We are divers and planned to dive with Sunset, but a last minute change in plans necessitated a new venue for lodging. After talking with Karin and touring the grounds we decided to check in, so glad we did! We were able to salvage our vacation and Sunset House made that possible.

We checked in at the dive center and they were already waiting for us, we filled out the necessary paperwork and shared a few laughs with Simon and Roger. After settling in to our very comfortable room, we geared up for a shore dive and found ourselves on a world class dive circling around the beautiful statue of “Amphitrite”, the Sunset House mermaid. Later, we stopped in at My Bar for a burger and a beer, and enjoyed a fabulous sunset and some much needed rest.

The next morning we boarded the boat and Captain Lee, Aaron and John treated us to some great diving, later that afternoon, Jess and Tahvo (sorry for any spelling errors…), along with Capt’n Lee took us out to Stingray City. The next few days we visited the Kittiwake and other great sites and made some friends along the way.

The dive staff is great, they give detailed briefings and lead you along a dive offering as much freedom or guidance as you would like. The housekeeping staff is warm and friendly, offering a smile whenever you pass. The staff of the Sea Harvest restaurant and My Bar are witty and accommodating and genuinely care about how they serve you. Top it all off with the managers Keith and Karin, and their dedication to each of their guests and you can guaranty yourself a great vacation!

The island of Grand Cayman is a great destination and the Sunset House Dive Resort is a great place to stay… can’t wait to visit again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick W

Hey Rick!

You know when the stars align just right how things work out... So glad that you ended up here at Sunset House and enjoyed your stay! We love seeing all the pictures you have posted on our Facebook site and the one with you and the Stingray is just perfect!

Please stay in touch! You are part of the family here now and we will see you again soon... Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I are returning to Grand Cayman for our second stay with Sunset House on Friday.....can't wait. We are both divers. Loved the dive operations, great outdoor dining, congenial staff, and Keith (host par excellence) and sidekick Murphy! See you soon.
Chris & Mary

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Chris and Mary! Look forward to seeing you this coming weekend! I distinctly remember when you started planning your return trip on about day 5 of your trip last year... Along with the other two guys from Canada!

Murphy, Karin and I will be around.. Got you in the same room, so look out of the 4 legged mascot to visit soon!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Keep in mind , it' a diving hotel . Good location, you can walk to town and do shore diving. Also the dock is right there for the dive boat. The rooms are clean and the food at the restaurant is good. Perfect place to meet divers at the bar. This is not luxurious , there is no beach and the price is too high compare to other hotels in the area. When we were there the shore diving was closed half of the time , per the staff, it was because of the waves even if the diving resort next door was open for shore diving.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Thierrypol,

Thank you for taking the time with your comments... One of my worries with folks that write almost a year after is that some of the experience gets lost. I wish you (and everyone) would comment right after their stay here.

You are so correct! We are a diving hotel! Tile floor rooms, not many thrills or fancy mini-bars or in your room movies, but 99% of the time, just what our guests want.

Not having a beach is out biggest plus! If we did have a sandy beach, you would not be able to drop right in 13' of water and go out to one of the best shore dives in the Caribbean!

Again, trying to remember back a year is tough, but there are occasions that we do shut down the shore diving for your safety and the safety of others! We do not shut down the shore dive, because we don't want you to have a great time... It says something in your reply to me that another operator had shut theirs down, as well up the road. In our brief message conversation that you ended quickly, you mentioned that the operation between us and the other was open. You did not say how long they were open or if you happened to get in while they were in the process of shutting down... You did not want to discuss.

In regards to the price being too high, lets compare what you received here instead of a guest house near by. (we are the only licensed hotel to operate South of George Town. I am not sure what you are comparing us to, but we are one of the least expensive hotels on the island.) In your package, you received not only your accommodations, but your diving was included, your full made-to-order breakfast every morning, your transfers from and to the airport were covered as well as receiving a welcome drink and a matted signature photo of Cathy Church that we gave you as a welcome gift... Plus all your tax and service charges...

I did reach out to you to try to find out more, because we want everyone to be happy and feel that they received what they expected to get, or let us know where we failed to do that, whether it be in the promotion of the property, what is listed on our website, or what we failed to do here to meet your expectations. I apologize if you thought I was prying as you insisted for me not to message you again and I will not, but I am sorry, we want to learn and we encourage communication from our guests, whether it is here on Trip Advisor, our Facebook pages, my personal email address (keith.sahm@sunsethouse.com) or picking up the phone and calling our toll free number, 800-854-4767)

Thanks again for your thoughts! We hope we can meet your expectations the next time!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

First let me say that if you are a diver, there is no other resort in Grand Cayman for you, period. If you are not a diver and you want the friendliest staff, best food, and an amazing view of the ocean every night, Sunset House is perfect for you as well. I can certainly see how this hotel got its name. The view of the sunset every night was breathtaking. Resort manager Keith could be found at My Bar nearly every night, making you feel like old friends. Pete, from the Dive Shop located on site, took us to Sting Ray City where we had an amazing time diving with the sting ray. There is also a sunken shipwreck called Kittiwake to dive. The weather was a perfect 82 degrees every day. I am headed back to Grand Cayman and will be enjoying the view and some of My Bar's famous onion rings very soon.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are great, the higher floors give a better view. I took a pic of the view from our...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim W

Thank you Kim for your kind comments. Karin and I, along with Pete and the rest of the staff try to make everyone's experience more as a big dive concentric bed and breakfast, than just a hotel connected with a dive operation.
It is the personal touches that make a guests experience memorable. Glad we shared that with you and very much look forward to seeing you here again!

Warm regards, Keith

PS (I'm not in the bar EVERY night! LOL! )

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Had the greatest time at the Sunset House! The room with an ocean view was perfect for relaxing. The restaurant setting and food was exactly what I had heard about. Perfect.
The staff and dive boat crews were always ready and willing to accommodate. Aaron, Jess and Simon made the boat dive some of the best I have ever been on! Many thanks to the Sunset House for an awesome experience!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric B
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thanks Eric!

As always, it was a pleasure having you down with us and experiencing what IS, Sunset House! We look forward to having you and the rest of the family back down with us again!.. BTW, Troy said to tell you Hi and the rest of the staff can't wait to have you all back down! Warm regards... And they say the snow will end sometime soon... :O)

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!