“Great comments from Cruise Guests”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I am the English Social Hostess onboard the MSC Divina which is currently sailing in the Caribbean. I have recommended Sunset to many guests both for diving and for a place to relax away from the crowds. Every guest has returned with rave reviews and hopes to go back. I myself have gone diving there and when there is not enough time for diving I go just to have a good plate of food and decent wifi. The staff are phenomenal, the diving spectacular and the rum punch divine! Just 15min walk to the right of the pier, makes it a great location away from the insanity of 1000's of guests. I definitely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Kathy, We are going to miss you! Hopefully, your next tour will lead you back down to the Caribbean and Grand Cayman will be your stop. (How we met Kathy was her father, who she got to become a scuba diving addict, is a repeat guest here now at Sunset House and he told her to drop by)
Next thing you know, we have staff and clients of the MSC Divina coming down and snorkeling, having fun at the bar and restaurant and wanting to take tours of the property and rooms.

We hope to see you again, very soon! (Tell Dad, Hi for us!)

There are newer reviews for Sunset House

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Sunset House

4/6/14 to 4/11/14

This was my first time to the Caymans and Sunset House.

Stayed in an ocean view suite room which is a bit larger than the regular ocean view rooms. Room was clean and comfortable. Pillows were great. Most hotel rooms usually give pillows that flatten out like paper but these were plump and gave some support. Really helped with getting a good nights sleep.

Room had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and a large dinning table with 4 chairs to eat at.

Great bathroom with double walk in showers. A bit of advise though the shower rod is not made to hang your towels on. If you try it may fall down.

Maid service was great. We would go for our morning dives and when returning to the room it would be cleaned and ready for us.

Withing an hour after checking in at Sunset House we were at the dive shop to sign the release forms and pick up a free tank of air for a shore dive. Made the first dive in a 3mm shorty as the water temp was running 80 degrees. Also, brought along a full 3mm wetsuit for deeper dives. Lots of fish, coral and other stuff to see on the shore dive. The Mermaid and Nicholson WWII landing barge were cool sights.

Made a night dive from the shore the 2nd evening. Had a couple of 4' Tarpon following us for the entire dive. They were darting by us to eat the small fish that our dive lights exposed. Night diving here is fun but be prepared to use your compass to get out & back to the mermaid or you may be swimming up & down the wall for a while to find the exit ladder.

Overall the shore diving here is really good. However, if the weather turns stormy the Dive shop may temporarily close for shore diving. We had no shore diving for two days due to bad weather. The dive shop is very conscientious about safety. We had 6' waves pounding the sea wall for two days until the storm ended so I can't blame them for closing it down.

Although the shore diving was closed for 2 days the morning boat dives continued as they were able to take us to dive spots that were shielded by reefs from the rough sea.

The Seaharvest restaurant and My Bar were both good places to eat at. Tried the Fish Taco's, Chicken Stir Fry, Grilled Chicken Sandwich & their burger. All were tasty and reasonably priced. The breakfast was also very good.

The ocean view from our patio was majestic with beautiful sunsets over the ocean. It was a popular place to end the day and drink a cold Caybrew before retiring for the night.

Overall this is the best place I have been to that caters to divers. If you like scuba you need to try this place.

I plan on coming back again so that should say something about how good it is.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We spent a week at Sunset House (Mar 21-29). It was recommended to us by a number of divers and dive shops for a number of reasons, but including the great shore diving. I have trouble equalizing, and shore diving helps that process. Not only was the shore diving great fun (mermaid, wreck, etc), but the dive masters on the morning boat dives were also very sensitive to my issue, and really worked to make sure I was comfortable, The boat/dive staff were great. The help and support that they gave everyone on the boat was at the high end of our experience. So I can't say enough complimentary things about them.
The restaurant and bar staff were also extremely helpful and by and large went out of their way for customers. The food was really great.
The room was fine, the balcony great, and, while I didn't get wifi in the room, I did on the balcony and in the bar (what a hardship...)
The front desk staff was uniformly helpful, cheerful and accommodating. The comfort level was very high. There was a 'family and friends' feeling everywhere.
We will most certainly be back, and it can't be soon enough.
-Karen and Bob

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

A large group of us descended upon Sunset House in April to do a bit of diving. There were some non-divers among us. The entire trip was handled great. Karen and Keith took very good care of us and made sure all was well, including throwing a pizza party for the group. The accommodations were clean, spacious and comfortable. While breakfast was included in our package, lunch and dinner were on our own. Lunch at My Bar was relaxing, and the food was reasonable. Dinner was either at My Bar or their restaurant, SeaHarvest. The currie there was excellent! We also ventured off the premises for other dining venues. Town is a 10 minute walk. During our entire time there we were made to feel comfortable and a valued guest. I would come back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We just spent a week here with a group of 26. It was a great place to stay. Everyone was super nice and the front desk staff was very helpful. Great pool with an outstanding view. Our room was an ocean view and I loved getting up every morning to a fabulous view. The sunsets from our room were breathtaking. Shore diving was OK, not the best but worth doing. We saw some fish but not many. I did a night snorkel and saw a nurse shark and tarpon going at it. That was very exciting to see. The rooms are large and the beds are super comfortable. We were on a dive package and breakfast was included. That was a limited menu, I would have liked to see some variation in the menu.

My Bar has a fantastic view. Service was very slow but you are on vacation, there should be no rush. The food was good and not to badly priced for Cayman.

Sunset House did provide our group with a pizza dinner which was a nice touch. That was fun and the dive crew joined us. We had so much fun that evening.

It is nice having the dive op right on the premises. Wednesday and Thursday was extremely rough and the bussed us over tot he other side of the island for diving which turned out to be great.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view, you will love the views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RosieOO
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have 10 people going again May 10-17 2014. Been to many different dive locations all over the world and this is one of our Fav's! The rooms are basic and it's no Ritz but I don't come to SH for that. The hotel reef,My Bar and the general diving is great! The Cathy Church Photo Studio is an added bonus!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jrl34182
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Sunset House is a great dive destination. Although the rooms are basic, the bar and restaurant are excellent, and the dive operation is outstanding. Nice pool. Great shore diving. The resort is an easy walk from town. The wifi coverage can be weak, but generally was OK. If you are a diver and you haven't been to Grand Cayman, go here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!