“great place for divers”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for winter break 2013-2014. It was a great place to stay, clean, friendly, easy to get around if you have a car. The only downside is for children if they are not into diving. My son who was 10 during the trip actually went diving a couple of times and it was great.

Room Tip: my room faced the water - wonderful view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank autoharp433
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Autoharp433 ,

We are glad that you took the time and expended your experience here at Sunset House. We will be the first to admit that if the kids are not of diving age, or do not dive, there is not much for them to do, except hang out by the pool or snorkel. Not having a beach to play on is a disadvantage for families that kids that do not dive, but what an opportunity to have them experience an Discover Scuba or start their open water certification with our warm clear water right off shore...

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much. Dive staff was very knowledgeable and helpful especially with our younger divers. Meals at the restaurant were great and we particularly enjoyed the Indian dishes. Temperatures were consistently warm as was water temperature. Water clarity was amazing. Best dive location we have been to! And you have to meet Murphy!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank KathleenB63
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Kathleen, Thank you for writing about your fantastic experience. (BTW, Murphy sends his love). We do our best to cater to all levels of the sport of scuba diving! We're happy to hear that we were good ambassadors to the younger ones! We hope to see you back soon and enjoy the summer in Canada!
With warm regards... All of us, at Sunset House!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My family and I were in GC for a brief stopover on a cruise last week. I had heard good reviews about Sunset House and had contacted them prior to our trip about us spending some time there while in port. The reply was prompt and gracious, assuring me that we were welcome.

My wife and two teenage sons had a wonderful time snorkeling. The water was beautiful and they saw lots of fish and coral formations. I don't snorkel, but I enjoyed hanging out in the pool. I could actually stand in the pool and watch my family have a great time doing what they enjoy.

The bar staff was very friendly and helpful (great pina coladas) and the whole place was beautifully maintained and landscaped. I would highly recommend this place for anyone wanting a quiet location to enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean. We will definitely go back on our next visit to GC.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cloudfour
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thanks Cloudfour! As I said in our email exchange before your arrival, we encourage cruisers to come down and see our "family owned" resort with it's charm and values.. While we are the historic and oldest hotel on Grand Cayman, most people, like yourself see us for what we are and return to stay here with us.

Thanks for taking the time to write.. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Spent a week here on a dive package. Great place for divers to stay as the dive company is right on site, very convenient. Safety was taken very seriously onboard and felt in good hands for the diving itself. We saw alot on the dives and they were very easy to do. A good variation of small wrecks, reefs and then you can pay extra to do the kittiwake,
We didn't venture out of the hotel much just ate at the well stocked bar and restaurant which was good. Can recommend the pina coladas! Wifi available to be able to contact home and free shore diving if you wanted to go out with a buddy.
If you did want to venture out over the island you would need to get a cab but the staff at reception could help you out with that. Nice shop in the hotel too.
If I were coming back to the island I would spend a few nights here and then a few nights up on the NW as we didn't really get up to the dive sites up there which I know have a great reputation. But this just gives me an excuse to come back again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rahh

Thanks Rahh,

We look forward to having you back with us. You are correct, we take the safety of our customers very serious and glad to hear you felt well taken care of. We just want to remind everyone that the complimentary shore diving is included with our dive packages and are on boat diving days and day of arrival.
We hope to see you soon!!! All the best!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

If you are looking for an amazing diver-friendly resort with the best service and friendly staff in every department and employee interaction you could hope for, Sunset House is the best choice!! I had the most amazing week-long vacation I could have had and highly, highly recommend this as your next choice of stay while diving in the Grand Cayman!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms and take advantage of the diving right out front your door!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dawn H

Dear Dawn,
It is great to hear from you again and it has been fun chatting back and forth after your trip. I can tell you your little "ambassador" of the hotel misses you and your group! Murphy is having a "tough" time finding guests to play with! Just kidding!
But the rest of the staff sure missed you folks from California!

We look forward to seeing you again. PLEASE stay in touch and Murphy thanks you for "Liking" his FB page..

Warm regards

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I am the English Social Hostess onboard the MSC Divina which is currently sailing in the Caribbean. I have recommended Sunset to many guests both for diving and for a place to relax away from the crowds. Every guest has returned with rave reviews and hopes to go back. I myself have gone diving there and when there is not enough time for diving I go just to have a good plate of food and decent wifi. The staff are phenomenal, the diving spectacular and the rum punch divine! Just 15min walk to the right of the pier, makes it a great location away from the insanity of 1000's of guests. I definitely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Kathy, We are going to miss you! Hopefully, your next tour will lead you back down to the Caribbean and Grand Cayman will be your stop. (How we met Kathy was her father, who she got to become a scuba diving addict, is a repeat guest here now at Sunset House and he told her to drop by)
Next thing you know, we have staff and clients of the MSC Divina coming down and snorkeling, having fun at the bar and restaurant and wanting to take tours of the property and rooms.

We hope to see you again, very soon! (Tell Dad, Hi for us!)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Sunset House

4/6/14 to 4/11/14

This was my first time to the Caymans and Sunset House.

Stayed in an ocean view suite room which is a bit larger than the regular ocean view rooms. Room was clean and comfortable. Pillows were great. Most hotel rooms usually give pillows that flatten out like paper but these were plump and gave some support. Really helped with getting a good nights sleep.

Room had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and a large dinning table with 4 chairs to eat at.

Great bathroom with double walk in showers. A bit of advise though the shower rod is not made to hang your towels on. If you try it may fall down.

Maid service was great. We would go for our morning dives and when returning to the room it would be cleaned and ready for us.

Withing an hour after checking in at Sunset House we were at the dive shop to sign the release forms and pick up a free tank of air for a shore dive. Made the first dive in a 3mm shorty as the water temp was running 80 degrees. Also, brought along a full 3mm wetsuit for deeper dives. Lots of fish, coral and other stuff to see on the shore dive. The Mermaid and Nicholson WWII landing barge were cool sights.

Made a night dive from the shore the 2nd evening. Had a couple of 4' Tarpon following us for the entire dive. They were darting by us to eat the small fish that our dive lights exposed. Night diving here is fun but be prepared to use your compass to get out & back to the mermaid or you may be swimming up & down the wall for a while to find the exit ladder.

Overall the shore diving here is really good. However, if the weather turns stormy the Dive shop may temporarily close for shore diving. We had no shore diving for two days due to bad weather. The dive shop is very conscientious about safety. We had 6' waves pounding the sea wall for two days until the storm ended so I can't blame them for closing it down.

Although the shore diving was closed for 2 days the morning boat dives continued as they were able to take us to dive spots that were shielded by reefs from the rough sea.

The Seaharvest restaurant and My Bar were both good places to eat at. Tried the Fish Taco's, Chicken Stir Fry, Grilled Chicken Sandwich & their burger. All were tasty and reasonably priced. The breakfast was also very good.

The ocean view from our patio was majestic with beautiful sunsets over the ocean. It was a popular place to end the day and drink a cold Caybrew before retiring for the night.

Overall this is the best place I have been to that caters to divers. If you like scuba you need to try this place.

I plan on coming back again so that should say something about how good it is.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!