“Best Cayman Experience”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Cayman Experience”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Disregard any negative comments. . . Sunset House is the best dive operation on the island. Roger runs a top notch dive shop, Chris, Jess, Pete, Simon, Sam, Tavo were excellent. The hotel, restaurant and bar staff was incredibly nice and the rooms were well maintained.

This is a dive resort so be prepared to meet divers. Had loads of fun hanging out in the bar after a day of diving with other guests and dive shop staff talking dives, exchanging stories and picking up great bits of intel here and there.

Do yourself a favor if you are going to Cayman, stay Sunset House, dive Sunset House and avoid the inferior operators.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are awesome. 240-242. . .
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jd W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I spent 8 days at this fantastic dive resort during Cathy Church’s Photofest. After the event I dived with the in-house dive team and they were wonderful. Since this is a dive resort, all diving was charged to my room, which made things quite convenient. The dive team followed all standard safety procedures and took us to fantastic reefs, which hosted a ton of life. The dive masters conveniently pointed out area of interest during the dive. In addition, I took advantage of the hotels special night dives and trips to the Kittiwake and Stingray City.

Getting back to the resort grounds, I booked an ocean front room, which was spacious and well maintained. My room consisted of two queen size beds, mini-refrigerator, cable or Directv and balcony with table and chairs. The AC unit kept my room ice cold just how I like it. The resort dining room was pretty close to my room and served a decent breakfast. The hotel bar was well stocked and had a wide lunch selection. WIFI signal was ok throughout the property.

The hotel is centrally located and is only a short 10-minute walk to the main Georgetown area that host many restaurants and bars.

The dive shop and hotel grounds staff were pretty friendly.

I would definitely stay and dive at the Sunset House next time I visit Grand Cayman.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank djhenryhall
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2014

would like to offer my thanks to capt. roger,divemasters pete and sam.best diving experience I ever had.the bar was cool too.my non diving wife agreed to going back again.my next time back would like to dive the kittywake.dr.joe

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joe R
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2014

By far the worst hotel experience I've had in my life! Floors were so filthy the bottoms of our feet turned black from walking on the room floor. Manager was probably the rudest person we've encountered in the hospitality business. Rooms are next to a busy bar. My wife and I had a queen bed vs. the promised King size bed. Shower had a "trick" to getting hot water and we were treated with attitude when we inquired as if we should have naturally known the system to get hot water. If you have extremely low standards and just want the dive location go ahead, but if you are looking for a clean, friendly, nice hotel, choose any of the many other options in Grand Cayman. The savings are not worth it. Just don't do it!!!

Room Tip: Expect rude customer service, Noisy and busy traffic in front of rooms, and dingy experience
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Sevenxc
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Sevenxc,

I am sorry that you found our resort not to your liking. At first, I was completely taken back, but then this morning, the staff reminded me of who you were and the bigger picture came to light, which I am thrilled you have given me the opportunity to address your concerns and relay the problems you do not share in your commentary. I really do not care, if you call me "rude", but let's not confuse the word "Rude" to "Not wanting to listen and accept the facts".

I can assure you that no one "guaranteed" you a king size bed. We "will" try to accommodate, where we can at time of check in. But when you father-in-law came in to make the reservation, we only had three rooms left. You showed your dislike to the room as soon as you checked in, were given the opportunity to move to another room and were given the opportunity then to leave with no penalty so you could get what you wanted, for you and your wife, somewhere else. You declined.

With all due respect to your father-in-law, who is a Caymanian, lives here on island, we gave him the resident rate, at which he informed us then that you, nor your wife, live in the Cayman Islands (even though your wife carries a Caymanian Passport) and your review Trip Advisor username confirms you live in Miami. (Same with the phone number you gave for me to call you back on again, when you tried to demand the tax back)

We have to follow what the Government of the Cayman Islands sets forth in our Tourism License and as I explained on the phone, even someone having a Caymanian passport, if you "do not live" in the Cayman Islands, you are subject to the same 23% tax and service charge as any of our other customers pay that live overseas. I know you did not like hearing that, felt that you should get money back, but not getting what you want, should not mean for you to be slanderous towards our establishment, staff and product.

The water situation, you were instructed that the faucet handles were opposite of what you have at home in the room you were in. There was no "attitude"; that was what you brought that back when you could not get an ocean view room or a king size bed. And again, you were offered a full refund and go somewhere up on Seven Mile Beach. We had no other rooms to offer, or rooms with a king bed; simple.

You stayed here three nights. The floors were cleaned and mopped. You were right off the parking lot and being barefoot on the parking lot does tend to "dirty feet, as our barefoot guests find out, but the rooms are clean, as others testify on Trip Advisor.

I would like to sum this reply up with a couple of simple facts for others that read this.

We are a family owned and run Dive Resort... If you do not like being awakened by the tinkling sounds of dive tanks in the morning, the smell of sausage, bacon and a hearty made to order breakfast being fixed and the laughter of giddy divers getting ready to go out on some of the best scuba diving sites this planet has to offer.... Please, do not stay here!

We do not work with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, or any of the other "room night only" online travel agencies for these simple reasons. We do not have a beach; we DO have a spectacular world-class shore dive that "our" customers, thoroughly enjoy daily.

And bottom line and I mean this with all sincerity; you can call me anything you want... I don't care. But DO NOT say our Guests have low standards... I think once folks read the truth, they will choose for themselves, who really has what.

And as Forrest Gump once said... "That's all I have to say about that"
San Jose, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My son and I stopped in to check on shore dives. They have the best staff I have ever in countered!!!!! We signed up for the, USS Kittywake dive and the string ray dive and two shore dives. Thank you for making our week at the Grand Caymans2

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ty C
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Ty,

Thanks for writing in advance and finding out what we were all about the the schedule of the dives like the Kittiwake. Thanks for your kudos and look forward when you come back here and stay with us! See you soon...
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for winter break 2013-2014. It was a great place to stay, clean, friendly, easy to get around if you have a car. The only downside is for children if they are not into diving. My son who was 10 during the trip actually went diving a couple of times and it was great.

Room Tip: my room faced the water - wonderful view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank autoharp433
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Autoharp433 ,

We are glad that you took the time and expended your experience here at Sunset House. We will be the first to admit that if the kids are not of diving age, or do not dive, there is not much for them to do, except hang out by the pool or snorkel. Not having a beach to play on is a disadvantage for families that kids that do not dive, but what an opportunity to have them experience an Discover Scuba or start their open water certification with our warm clear water right off shore...

We hope to see you soon!
Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much. Dive staff was very knowledgeable and helpful especially with our younger divers. Meals at the restaurant were great and we particularly enjoyed the Indian dishes. Temperatures were consistently warm as was water temperature. Water clarity was amazing. Best dive location we have been to! And you have to meet Murphy!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank KathleenB63
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Kathleen, Thank you for writing about your fantastic experience. (BTW, Murphy sends his love). We do our best to cater to all levels of the sport of scuba diving! We're happy to hear that we were good ambassadors to the younger ones! We hope to see you back soon and enjoy the summer in Canada!
With warm regards... All of us, at Sunset House!
Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!