We stayed at Sunset House for a week with a group of 20 divers. We had a great time at Sunset House and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good dive trip. My room was great even though it overlooked the parking lot. The on site restaurant was pretty good (great fish and chips) and although pricey and a little slow, the portions were generous. The bar was also nice.
I cannot say enough about the excellent diving just off the hotel's shore. It has easy entry and exit (via ladder) and there are several reefs (including an impressive wall), a small wreck and the famous statue. We did several dives off the hotel shore and saw some of the best life there, including spotted eagle rays, peacock flounder, Caribbean reef squid and drumfish, to name a few. We wished we could have fit in more shore dives.
My only criticism is that the hotel has several odd rules that are inflexibly enforced. For example, everyone needs to be out of the pool by 10 PM, which struck us as way too early. Also, umbrellas round the pool come down sharply at 5 PM, even though the sun won't set for another 2+ hours. These rules put a bit of a damper on our apres-diving fun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No Resort Fees!!! Best Value on Island! We have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! A perfect place for your scuba diving or snorkeling vacation! Packages include Breakfast, transfers from Airport and so much more! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands