“Nice hostel atmosphere, friendly hostess, would give 3.5 stars”

Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2014

On our way to Little Cayman for a dive vacation, we stopped over nite in Grand Cayman due to the connection flight timing. We found this inn on the net, and after emailing and asking questions, we booked a night.

We took a taxi from the airport to the inn, and then spoke with the daughter who called her mom, Tootsie, to come over and check us in. Really friendly people, and the history of the inn and family is interesting. Tootsie told us a little about her family, and I read some more in the room notebook. It is definitely more a hostel than a hotel, but that is exactly what my spouse and I like, so it fit well. The hostel is in walking distance to a seafood restaurant and beaches plus an art museum, and only a few miles away from the main drag.

We didn't try the pool but it looked well kept, and there were tables with umbrellas and chairs outside to sit at for getting free wi-fi, which could also be accessed in the room and lounge. There was also a good collection of books to read.The kitchen was clean, and large, with a spacious fridge. We didn't stay long enuff to utilize the kitchen totally, but did notice that there was a need for more plateware.

Our room was upstairs and had two beds, which we requested so as to multiply our chances for a good mattress. One of the beds, both being twins, was slept on by my spouse and was almost dead. It was on top of a very old box spring, and both need replacement. The frame was also totally disconnected, which may just need to have it screwed back together. My bed was a little better, but the mattress was also unsupportive and needs to be replaced with a new firmer one. The A/C worked well, and the water temp and pressure were fine for hair washing during a shower. There was a TV, but we didn't try it, and plenty of places to hang things up or put away.

There were some maintenance issues that need to be dealt with, and while not critical, except for the ceiling fan, which didn't always turn on and the screws holding the blades were stripped, which I told Tootsie about, and the beds, I hope that they just didn't know about them, and will get to them soon. I did tell Tootsie about a couple of the issues, as she had asked to be notified. She seemed to genuinely care about them. I have found that some owners will say that they should be notified about issues, but when I have done it before, they act insulted. Tootsie didn't come across this way, when I told her, and I hope that my couple comments will get her looking at the room in general, as it needs a few things fixed like the beds, and one bed frame. In addition, she was pleasant and answered all our questions obligingly.

I would say that for the price, which is much cheaper than the hotels on the island, we were surprised that some of the issues we noticed hadn't been already taken care of, as the price is rather steep for a hostel, and while things are more expensive on the island, I would think that some of the issues we noticed like door handles and ceiling fans should be covered by the hostel rates.

However, our overall experience was positive, mostly b/c the atmosphere and hostess were pleasant, and we would recommend this place to stay at right now as a one night stay, but perhaps a longer stay would depend on there being an overall maintenance check.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kip F
CarolEE E, Owner at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hi, I am so appreciative of your honest assessment of Eldemire’s and as you are aware, we always ask our guests to inform us on how everything was for them.
Within a few days of your departure, we placed 2 new beds in the room and hung a new ceiling fan, and as soon as we are not full (which we have been for quite sometime) we will be inspecting each individual room and upgrading as we go along.
I am a bit confused though on Eldemire’s being referred to as a hostel. My summation of a hostel (which I have stayed in in the past) is a dormitory type arrangement with more than 2 people staying in it, and a shared bathroom and no kitchen to utilize.
At Eldemire’s, each bedroom which has an en-suite bathroom, is booked individually and there is a large kitchen open to our guests of 4 rooms only, to utilize. Also complimentary coffee and tea are available for everyone.
I feel that what describes us best, is a casual and relaxed atmosphere, more that of a B & B (but without the breakfast, with a rare laid back charm, peaceful and very informal.
So I am sure that whenever you return you will be delighted at ow we have upgraded our place, and we guarantee that you will have a wonderful experience staying with us again.
Thanks again for your lovely review about us.
God bless

There are newer reviews for Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We were looking for an inexpensive place with AC as a home base for our dive trip. We found it at Eldemire's. But, there are a lot of better places to stay on the island if you can afford it. My wife would not have enjoyed Eldemires. It is more like a hostel than a hotel. But it was fine for me and my nephews..

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cclaw
CarolEE E, Owner at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thanks for taking time to write your review about Eldemire’s and we thank you for your positive feedback stating that our place is inexpensive (actually it is one of the lowest cost Government licensed accommodations on Grand Cayman) and that it was fine for you and your nephews to stay at.
I am happy that you were okay with Eldemire’s and let me say that we always welcome feedback, be it positive or negative, as this gives us some kind of platform to know what our guests think about us, and are saying about us, as this can help us to improve on our product.
You stated, that your wife would not have enjoyed staying at Eldemire’s and you are probably correct in saying that because not everyone enjoys the smaller, less sophisticated family run guest houses to stay at compared to the bigger, more sophisticated hotels that have all the amenities to offer their guests.
We do not try to compete with hotels, as the image we like to portray is that of a budget friendly, island- style little Guest House for people to stay at, that has a calm and tropical aura to it.
So please, if there is anything that you saw that could be improved upon, please let us know, as this can greatly assist us in our quest to ”be a little better than before”.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had missed our cruise ship departing from Miami, FL and had to fly to Grand Cayman to catch up with it...after two VERY long days of traveling and unplanned expenses we finally arrived in Georgetown. I called several local hotels and found them to be WAY overpriced($400-$600USD per night). Finally an employee at Marshall's car rental suggested Eldemire's. I called the number and spoke with Tootie, explaining our situation. She was able to move other reservations around to accommodate all 4 of us for an unbelievable rate of $195. She treated us like family and had our room almost ready in the time it took us to arrive from the airport. She is a very sweet woman and we enjoyed talking with her. The rooms are VERY cool, authentic Caribbean style guest houses. It was like staying at a relative or friend's home. We are not the fancy resort/hotel type of people, and these accommodations were PERFECT for us! Tootie suggested local places to eat and snorkel so we could enjoy our extra day on the island. I highly recommend this place to anyone who wants simple affordable accommodations in Georgetown!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CarolEE E, Owner at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn and I am so delighted that you had a wonderful stay at our place.
My biggest aim as an owner, and as a Cayman Citizen, is to know that our visitors are having a good experience staying here and that they appreciate the fact that the facilities are very tropically oriented, with a casual flair and it becomes a "home away from home" for you.
I try my hardest to treat everyone with respect sincerity and love to advise my guests on where to eat, what to see, and what to do. I love to see them happy!
The proof reflects itself in the fact that I get a lot of repeat guests who keep coming from year to year.
Again thanks for your great and very welcomed review about us.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights after 12 nights driving the length of Cuba. The IDEAL location to finish our Caribbean island hop, a short walk southwards is a lovely beach at Smith`s Cove and 15 minutes the other way is Georgetown and the bus service all over the island.
Tootie makes you feel SO at ease that we immediately adopted the island pace of life, and Sunset house provides an excellent breakfast - only a few minutes walk away.
We cannot recommend Eldemires high enough.

Room Tip: The studio has a lovely double bed, and has lots of room to relax in.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
CarolEE E, Owner at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hi
I appreciate the fact that you have taken your time to write a lovely and positive review about myself and my business - Eldemire’s.
I always welcome my guest’s feedback, as it gives me a guideline to know what they are thinking about myself as an owner, and about the business also as these comments give me somewhat of a guideline to know if what I am doing is good or if I need to improve on my product.
As you can tell from personal experience with meeting me, my priority is to make my guests feel at home and at ease at Eldemire’s and like yourself, I advised you on what to do and see and where to eat.
If you saw anything that could possibly b improved upon, please make me aware of it, whatever it may be, as I am always seeking new ways that I can possibly improve the business. So feedback is very beneficial to me.
Thanks again and God bless.
Tootie Eldemire

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have been coming to Grand Cayman for 13 years and have now found my favourite place. Used to stay at Sunset House, but find the manager there to be quite rude, so went across the street this trip, to Eldemires. Best decision ever! There's only a few guest rooms, some being rented to residents, so it's extremely quiet. I almost always had the pool area all to myself. The pool is very nice, clean, secluded, surrounded by lush flowering trees. It's less than a five minute walk to Smith's Cove or to My Bar and Cathy Church/ Sunset diving centre. The rooms are big and beds comfortable and you have access to a full kitchen downstairs in the communal kitchen. I was able to put all my groceries in the big fridge and cook some meals there.
The best thing about Eldemires is the owners/managers, Tootie, Bob and Helena. They live next door and are there in a minute would you need for anything. Super friendly, lovely people. They genuinely care about and like getting to know their guests.
I'm never going to stay anywhere else when I return to Cayman!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
Tootie E, Owner at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Best Kept Secret in Cayman
We are elated that you had a good stay at Eldemire's, and thanks for taking time to write your review about us. We appreciate all the facts you have stated about us - all realistic..
As you have experienced yourself, we always try to please our guests and offer advice on what to do and see and where to eat, etc. That is because our guests matter to us...

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I do want to first say that I met Tootie when we arrived and she was incredibly nice and welcoming. She set up the taxi to come pick us up and take us to the airport the next morning. My boyfriend and I stayed here in December just for one night (we had been on Brac the last 4 nights and I always believe in staying near the airport the night before and not trying to island hop or make multiple flights before the primary departure flight because too many things can go wrong). She also recommended a delicious restaurant with a deck on the sea for dinner. We don't do the fancy schmancy hotels, mind you, we started our trip with four nights on Grand, staying first at the basic Harbour View Apartments (which I definitely recommend). At Eldemire's we stayed in the "Standard Bedroom" which is in the main house, no coffee maker, no shampoo, no wash cloths, etc. The room smelled weird. I'm not sure how to describe it, maybe like dirty sweaty laundry? I sprayed my body spray I had and hoped the AC would clear it out but I couldn't get that funk out of my nose. Also, the bed was horribly uncomfortable. Anytime my boyfriend or I moved it just made a bunch of noises, it is clearly wore out. I am not some high maintenance prissy girl. I work in the field of wildlife and natural resources, I'm used to getting dirty and working hard. I've stayed in a rundown field house in the middle of central India before. I was fine, but I do like a certain level of comfort. For the price it's not at all bad compared to the rest of Grand but I would have preferred to just have spent a little more and spent my last night somewhere nicer. I do appreciate the real island feel and not giving money to a big corporation but this wasn't quite my thing. Also, when we walked back from the restaurant it was getting dark and you have to kind of wind through a few side roads to get to the property and I was worried we would get mugged or something. Like I said, it served the purpose, it wasn't horrible, I didn't have a bad experience, I just wouldn't come back, and that smell was funky and unpleasant....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi,

I appreciate your kind words about myself and yes, I can boast that I always try to please my guests so that they have a good experience.
You are correct in saying that there is no coffeemaker in the bedroom but I had mentioned to you when you checked in, that there was complimentary tea and coffee in the kitchen downstairs. I apologize that I may not have made myself clear enough.
Regarding the other items that you listed, I have investigated them and am making sure that if indeed you had no shampoo and washcloth in your bathroom, I do apologize for this and I have instructed my housekeeper to ensure these items are always available for our guests.
Thanks for letting me know about the beds and they were replaced a few months ago.
The smelly room? I have no idea what that was all about as I have never had any complaints about a smell their.. We do spray mattresses and mattress covers with a germicidal solution every time our guests check out. So I can only surmise that this is what you may have been smelling.
The road I am unable to do much about. But like you experienced for yourself, it is a very short road, with house all around in the neighborhood, that we have to traverse from the main road to Eldemire’s, and yes, it does have 3 short corners but as you saw, there are street lights thier.
I would just like to say that I do appreciate you taking time to write your feedback as this kind of information, be it negative or positive, assists me in knowing how my guests feel about myself and my property.
It takes a guest like yourself to impart your experience at Eldemire’s, that creates a guideline for myself to look at ways in which I may be able to improve upon everything.
So I thank you for taking your time to do this for me.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had a great stay at Eldemire's! It's quiet & peaceful, while at the same time being only a short distance from town. It's also 'real Caribbean' which we find is much nicer than the much more expensive American-style hotels that one finds all along 7-mile beach.
Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn has good facilities (kitchen for preparing meals, free tea & coffee, wifi etc) & is well-managed, with friendly staff & pleasant surroundings. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi
I appreciate the fact that you have taken your time to write a lovely and positive review about Eldemire’s, and your kind compliments about myself and Eldemire’s.
Yes we do try to offer that real “Caribbean” feeling of tranquility, and a down-to-earth experience and you can now state that you met some authentic Caymanians who tried to ensure that you were comfortable and happy.
We are always glad when our guests are happy.
And I know you enjoyed the fact that we shared with you our Island experiences and that we had a big fully equipped kitchen in which you could prepare your own meals, that I know saved you quite a bit of money.
Much prayers to you on your missionary travels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Sunshine Suites Resort
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Caymanian Vacations
Grand Caymanian Vacations
#17 of 18 in Grand Cayman
Shangri-La Boutique Bed & Breakfast

Been to Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn? Share your experiences!