On our way to Little Cayman for a dive vacation, we stopped over nite in Grand Cayman due to the connection flight timing. We found this inn on the net, and after emailing and asking questions, we booked a night.
We took a taxi from the airport to the inn, and then spoke with the daughter who called her mom, Tootsie, to come over and check us in. Really friendly people, and the history of the inn and family is interesting. Tootsie told us a little about her family, and I read some more in the room notebook. It is definitely more a hostel than a hotel, but that is exactly what my spouse and I like, so it fit well. The hostel is in walking distance to a seafood restaurant and beaches plus an art museum, and only a few miles away from the main drag.
We didn't try the pool but it looked well kept, and there were tables with umbrellas and chairs outside to sit at for getting free wi-fi, which could also be accessed in the room and lounge. There was also a good collection of books to read.The kitchen was clean, and large, with a spacious fridge. We didn't stay long enuff to utilize the kitchen totally, but did notice that there was a need for more plateware.
Our room was upstairs and had two beds, which we requested so as to multiply our chances for a good mattress. One of the beds, both being twins, was slept on by my spouse and was almost dead. It was on top of a very old box spring, and both need replacement. The frame was also totally disconnected, which may just need to have it screwed back together. My bed was a little better, but the mattress was also unsupportive and needs to be replaced with a new firmer one. The A/C worked well, and the water temp and pressure were fine for hair washing during a shower. There was a TV, but we didn't try it, and plenty of places to hang things up or put away.
There were some maintenance issues that need to be dealt with, and while not critical, except for the ceiling fan, which didn't always turn on and the screws holding the blades were stripped, which I told Tootsie about, and the beds, I hope that they just didn't know about them, and will get to them soon. I did tell Tootsie about a couple of the issues, as she had asked to be notified. She seemed to genuinely care about them. I have found that some owners will say that they should be notified about issues, but when I have done it before, they act insulted. Tootsie didn't come across this way, when I told her, and I hope that my couple comments will get her looking at the room in general, as it needs a few things fixed like the beds, and one bed frame. In addition, she was pleasant and answered all our questions obligingly.
I would say that for the price, which is much cheaper than the hotels on the island, we were surprised that some of the issues we noticed hadn't been already taken care of, as the price is rather steep for a hostel, and while things are more expensive on the island, I would think that some of the issues we noticed like door handles and ceiling fans should be covered by the hostel rates.
However, our overall experience was positive, mostly b/c the atmosphere and hostess were pleasant, and we would recommend this place to stay at right now as a one night stay, but perhaps a longer stay would depend on there being an overall maintenance check.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eldemire's is a simply charming little family style guest house in a nice quiet area and we live across the road from our Guest House and can cater o your needs within a minute or 2. We want you to feel that it is your "home away from home" when you stay with us. And ... the best part is... we offer the lowest rates! All accommodations are very clean and decorated in vibrant tropical colours. We have 4 2nd level bedrooms ( with twin, queen and kings size beds) each with their own private en-suites, and on the lower level is a large fully equipped shared kitchen and a comfy lounge overlooking the lush garden. On the lower level are 2 fully equipped one bedroom apartments - one with a king size bed and the other a queen size bed. Both with sleeper sofas. We also have 2 studio suites with kitchenettes and queen size beds. There is free parking, free Fiber WIFI and a pool. A few minutes walk away is the island's best white sand cove and popular bar where you will see stunning sunsets ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eldemire`s Tropical Island Hotel George Town
- Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands