“Very Good because of the Rays, but ....”
Review of Soto's Cruises

Soto's Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: Sotos Cruises has been in the watersports business for over 22 years. Our trained and experienced crew members always ensure great personalized attention. Our boat is very clean, well maintained and we carry all the safety equipment necessary. EXPERIENCE THIS GREAT TOUR WITH US !!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very Good because of the Rays, but ....”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I was part of the group with Jenpinkrn. My view about this excursion is exactly the same. This was my family's first time visiting Grand Cayman and I have to say I was not thrilled. It did feel as if we were imposing on the captain and he was quite gruff. We came a long way for this and are a friendly, fun group of people and to be treated like this was less then fair or right. But like Jen said, the stingrays are completely amazing and we did take that away with us. Kerry was nice and tried to be helpful as best she could. The 1st mate was smiling and pleasant. I will say the captain did attempt to explain what to do when going out snorkeling at the reef and a bit more at the stingrays, but it just was subpar at best and sure as heck hard to hear. I am glad to read from other reviews that this was a great excursion(one of the reasons why I chose this company) and for future excursions I wish them well, but if I ever make it back to GCI, I know I will not be using Soto Cruises for anything. There are too many other locals out there that really want to give us tourists a really decent time, as it should be.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Andrea A

Ripon, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sotos tours stingray city”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We booked this tour independently from our NCL cruise. We had a group of 15, paid $32 per person. Included transportation from port and back. Kerry tried very hard to keep us satisfied, but we did have to wait for people from other ships to arrive and they were from a different port. We were getting impatient waiting for them, Kerry finally decided to take our group to the boat where we ended up waiting anyways. The Captain was not freindly and seemed to be very put off by all of us. He didn't explain anything was not helpful and just seemed to be very disconnected his job was to steer the boat and he could have cared less about answering my questions. His mate however was fantastic and went out of his way to ensure a great time.THE STINGRAYS ARE AMAZING AND NO ONE OR ANYTHING CAN RUIN THAT. The captains mate catches the rays and lets you hold them, he also will take pictures with your camera or gives your group to take your own. So nice over having to pay for them at other places. He also provided plenty of squid to feed them. It was easy to get in and out of the water at the sandbar. They provide snorkel gear at the deeper reef, but take it away before you get to the sandbar. It would have been nice to at least have the eye mask to see the rays underwater. Kerry dropped off a few of our group members at 7 mile beach as requested, they knew to find their own way back and the rest of us at the port as planned. We tipped our mate very well and Kerry too for doing her best.

Visited January 2014
cruises21, Manager at Soto's Cruises, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
I know how important it is to ensure that everyone who is confirmed on our tour is given some extra time to check in. This is considering the fact that tender boats bring the customers to our shores. Not everyone is able to get onto the first tender and not everyone will tender in at the same Terminal. This day was busy and I was dealing with groups off of 3 cruise ships and people tendering in at 2 different Terminals. I had arranged for two buses, the first one carried this group to the boat at 9:05am and the second bus left shortly thereafter. When the first group arrived at the boat they thought perhaps that it could depart immediately. They knew that the other customers would be arriving shortly in the other bus and would have to be outfitted with the gear. The tour did in fact depart on time at 9:30am, as advertised. So I am not certain why the group seemed to unsatisfied with "waiting".
With regards to the comments about the captain, he is a friendly person and would never be rude to his customers. He has been in the business a long time and has a lot of experience in communicating. He has to. It is his job to be friendly, provide a safe environment and create a wonderful learning experience to all on board! He trains the crew members! He is definitely not disconnected with his job, as outlined. As a matter of fact, another group gave him a $100 trip! Wow! I was really impressed!
Regarding the non use of snorkel gear for the sandbar, we decided a long time ago that from a safety standpoint, it is best to see the stingrays up close and personable with a qualified crew member who will bring them to the surface. Snorkeling above/around swimming stingrays who are being fed is not something that we encourage, especially because the sandbar is so shallow! Therefore, we provide these only at the snorkeling site.
We've been in the business a long time and I will stress that safety as well as punctuality of the tours is, and always will be, extremely important. We are very understanding that cruise ship visitors have a limited amount of time to spend here and we must ensure a punctual return.
Kerry Soto, Manager, Sotos Cruises Ltd.
Waterford, NJ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best Tour on the Island”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My family took Soto Cruises to Stingray City. Well worth every penny we paid. The trip was two and a half hours with several stops to snorkel and see the fish. The captain gave a full sightseeing tour explaining all the fish and what kind they were. Went to Stingray City and explained all about the rays and helped us with our gear and showed us how to feed the rays. Even took photos of us that we could buy if we wanted. Explained some of the coral reefs to us and told us about the waters. Couldn't ask for a better cruise or nicer people. They are the best!

Visited April 2013
5 Thank Dreamweaverdf
Savannah, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Couldn't have asked for a better day!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

It was nice to be able to enjoy Stingray City and snorkeling with less than 20 people on board. As we looked around, we noticed there were several boats that were loaded with people coming off the cruise ships. We were thankful to have already booked Sotos and were able to enjoy this experience on a more personal level. The captain and his first mate were very helpful, informative, and humorous. They made sure they captured all of the hilarious expressions from swimming with the stingrays on our cameras. This made for an amazing trip!

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Heather T
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very exciting!”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from Grand Cayman. Wonderful, friendly place. We booked Soto tours for Stingray City and it was worth every dollar! Captain and his mate were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The rates were better than other tours we looked at and given that it was low season we were few on the boat. Both the captain and his mate were very helpful and reassured me. It was an awesome experience. Would certainly do it again!

Visited June 2013