“Great shop to visit”
Review of The Penny Black

The Penny Black
Ranked #6 of 21 Shopping in George Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Best stamp shop in Cayman Islands! Excellent for souvenirs and gifts. Great for collectors and stamp enthusiasts. Pop in and say 'Hi'... we'd love to see you.(up on the 2nd floor... look for 'The Penny Black' signs!)
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great shop to visit”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Although I am not a stamp collector, I visited the shop in late January 2013, and had a fantastic time looking at all sorts of stamps, particularly Caribbean stamps (including from the Cayman Islands), which I have never seen before. The proprietor was very easy-going and helpful and just a genuinely pleasant person to interact with. Whether you are visiting Grand Cayman for several hours on a cruise trip or for a longer period of time on vacation, go to this shop. You will enjoy your time there.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Don R

Sarasota, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Again and again we visited The Penny Black”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We have visited The Penny Black stamp shop in Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands on each of our approximate ten visits to this island. It is great fun to search though the large collection of stamps for finds. And we always leave with some interesting finds. The last time on 9 January 2013 we bought about eight sets of stamps/cards/first day issues. The most interesting was a "first day issue" by Lundy, or as they are also known, "local carriage labels" or "local stamps". Lundy is a large island in Bristol Channel between Devon and Wales. The Lundy stamps are denominated in puffins (the sea bird). It is typical English bizarre or eccentric. Peter & Frances Rice, Sarasota, FL
The shop is upstairs in the building and look for the sign, The Penny Black. And the shop does have at least one penny black stamp.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Peter R
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unique destination for tourists and hobbyists”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This really is a wonderful little store in George Town. Even if you are not a stamp collector, Penny Black has unusual and interesting stamp issues from all over the world as well as first day covers. I focus on Cayman Islands stamps and am missing only 30-40 items to complete the collection, and Penny Black had several hard-to-find issues to help me fill in the gaps. While there for about an hour on New Year's Eve, I surprisingly saw quite a bit of foot traffic in the store -- probably cruise boat passengers. Customers were both hobbyists as well as curious tourists who bought gifts for friends and relatives. Philately is alive!

2 Thank Andreas R
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stamp shop!”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

What a wonderful little place! I have actually been several times, and it's often the first port of call on my trips.

It's a great place to get souvenirs for the whole family, and the proprietor is a very friendly and helpful person.

Two thumbs up :)

2 Thank williambobadaru
Johnston, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow! Truly exceptional! A piece of heaven for stamp collectors!”
Reviewed 7 December 2012

If I could give more than the five stars I just gave the Penny Black, I would! I have been a stamp collector for three-fourths of my life, and let me tell you that -- Wow! -- I have never, ever been to a place as fascinating and remarkable as the Penny Black! It can be easy to miss this tiny shop, which is on the second floor of a plaza in the middle of downtown Georgetown. But once you find it and step inside, all you can say is "Wow!" This shop features wall-to-wall stamps, every country, every theme, and a wraparound glass case with more stamps in the middle of the store. It's very overwhelming, but if you are a stamp collector like me, it's a piece of heaven. And if you are like me the first time I stepped into this shop, you will surely need 5-10 minutes to acclimate yourself because you will be in awe. I went there twice with my wife during a week-long vacation to Grand Cayman for a half marathon there. I bought some stamps from the Cayman Islands and Cuba because my collection is lacking stamps in both countries. The lady who works there was very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable and took the time to help me out. I also briefly saw the owner the first day I was there and he is also a nice guy! The prices are very reasonable, and if you like stamps as much as I do, you could literally spend hours in there. I have nothing but high praise for this place, the highest I could give, and anyone who has any kind of interest in stamp collecting that visits the Cayman Islands NEEDS to visit this place. You WILL be impressed!!!

2 Thank Eric B