“Amazing little shop”
Review of The Penny Black

The Penny Black
Ranked #7 of 30 Shopping in George Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Best stamp shop in Cayman Islands! Excellent for souvenirs and gifts. Great for collectors and stamp enthusiasts. Pop in and say 'Hi'... we'd love to see you.(up on the 2nd floor... look for 'The Penny Black' signs!)
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I know nothing about stamps and stamp collecting, let me say that first. Our visit to The Penny Black left me appreciating the history and art of stamps themselves. The clerk was friendly, articulate, and totally willing to take her time and tell us all sorts of interesting things about stamps. It truly is wall-to-wall with amazing stamps, and if you are an avid collector, you will indeed be bowled over by this place. Worth your time to stop in and look around in if you find yourself on the island.

2  Thank emher
in 3 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I arrived on a holiday when the post office was closed. I wanted to mail a post card from Hell in Grand Cayman. Someone referred me to this stamp collectors store. The gentleman in the store was so sweet and generous. Not only did he sell us stamps, he sold us cayman money that we were unable to get from the bank due to the holiday. He also gave us free stamps to show his appreciation for us stopping in. He talked to us for a while and we enjoyed meeting him very much. He had books and books of neat stamps that we looked through and his store is located in a cute little courtyard. We met a grand man in the Grand Caymans.

2  Thank Libertysrl
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I simply could not believe my eyes when I spotted a stamp shop, any stamp shop, on a Caribbean island. Going inside however is completely unbelievable ! It is literally wall to wall stamps with more in the back and everywhere you look. The selection - worldwide - is unbelievable and the owner/operator is pleasant and knowledgeable. I couldn't leave my family waiting for the hours I needed in the shop and made arrangements to spend most of the day there later in the week. Certainly one of the highlights of my vacation. My only regret - that I had not thought to bring my catalogue and want lists. This is simply a philatelist's dream. If you are interested in stamps or just an interesting outting, you must visit the Penny Black.

3  Thank Burlingtonbob1961
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Visited twice with young son who was wide eyed with awe at examples of coins and stamps from all over the world shown by ex liverpool lady whose infectious enthusiasm was a delight. Notvto be missed.

2  Thank johnhooper1
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stumbled upon The Penny Black while we were in Georgetown one afternoon, and what we thought would be a quick in-and-out experience, actually lasted for about half an hour. The amiable woman who runs the store, Elaine, was so charming, soft-spoken, and friendly, that this was truly a memorable experience for us during our stay in Grand Cayman. It is definitely a different change of pace from all the souvenir shops in Georgetown, which can be a real treat. In here, you will find stamps from all over the world, different time periods in Cayman history, limited and rare stamps, and if you are a history buff or a niche stamp collector, this is a slice of Heaven for you. We are in no way stamp enthusiasts, but having learned so much while speaking with Elaine, we were really able to appreciate a cute little shop such as this one. We even got a few stamps to go as a memorabilia. A great, and rare find if you are interested.

2  Thank JENNY C