“Wonderful weather, so we enjoyed Seven Mile Beach”
Review of George Town

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Crossville, Tennessee
618 helpful votes
“Wonderful weather, so we enjoyed Seven Mile Beach”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We arrived by cruise ship (this was the only port that you had to be tendered). Plan on 1/2 hour from cruise ship to the Grand Cayman dock.
The weather on February 2, 2011 was perfect!
Since we had been to Grand Cayman twice before, we just caught a local bus out to Seven Mile Beach ($5.00 for two of us) You pay the driver when you arrive at your destination. We had the driver drop us off at the last section where there were bath houses. Lounge chairs were $8 each and a large red Tommy Bahama umbrella could be rented for $4.
We had gotten there early, so we were able to use one of the many open-sided shelters, which had a picnic table and wooden seats along both sides.
There was a lot of activites to watch such as parasailing. But, the real crowd pleaser was 2 large clear plastic balls that were tethered, $10 would get you ten minutes. The idea is: you get inside and then you tried to walk on the water. Several younger folks tried and they entertained the whole beach!
We had a couple of bottled beers from Calico Jack's. They had a special bucket of 5 local canned beers for $20. They also served frozen drinks, smoothies and food.
Instead we caught the local bus (really a mini van) back to town ($5 again for 2) and we ate at Hammerheads (another review)
Bought a few tourist items, as this was our last port of call. I did find a photo album that held 100 photos & had an imprint of the whole Caribbean on the cover. I think it was $12.00.
We had a great day at the beach, Very laid back & enjoyable!

Armonk, New York
2 helpful votes
“My review on George Town”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

George Town is a great town with lots of shops. George is a great are but do not go when ships are there. There are lots of parking areas but fill up quick so you should go early. Though do not go in early morning like 10:00 and then have lunch. There are also some great food places so you should find something you like easily. There are a lot of great stores to see and most are air conditioned like most of the jewelry stores. So in the heat you can go in the ac. If you have a baby bring a stroller.

St. Louis, MO
“It Feels Like Home To Me”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I live in St. Louis, MO and have been here all my life. About six years ago, my mom and brother moved to Grand Cayman. I visit about twice a year, so I get the advantage of living like a local while at the same time feeling a bit like a tourist. George Town is the capital of Grand Cayman and if you're going by cruise, you will most likely dock here. Be sure to have lunch or dinner at Casanova By The Sea. Ask anyone and they can point you in the right direction. The owner and staff are from Italy so be ready for some amazing food and ambiance. If you're looking for some unique trinkets or art, so a little south of George Town to Pure Art. It's a small white and purple house. You're sure to find unique Caymanian art/jewlery instead of the typical touristy-junk. While you're in the area, head to Sunset House's My Bar and enjoy a beer or a mudslide (the best.....and strongest on the island). Need a little adventure?! Visit Dolphin Cove in West Bay and ask for Chris the Cardinals Fan (my brother). Here you can interact with exotic birds and swim with their rescued dolphins. I've done it a few times and it never gets old! Yoshi's has fantastic sushi. Havana Club is a cigar bar with great live bands during the weekend (Red White and Blues are great!!!), fantastic mojitos and top notch bar tenders. If you have some more time, head to Smith's Cove or Rum Point. You'll never want to leave!

Laguna Niguel, California
44 helpful votes
“Shop till you drop”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Talk about shop till you drop. Here's the place. Lots of neat places to buy anything you want here. We also used the local library to check our email and it was free. There's the Hard Rock cafe that looks out over the beach and town. You can swim, snorkel & do all kinds of things here. Still, watch the sun and use the higest sunscreen you can find. To get to town, you have to take a tender ( little boat ) from the ship to port. No big deal and you won't get sea sick for those who get that way. I get sick real quick but not on the tender.

A TripAdvisor Member
“swimming with the rays”
Reviewed 19 October 2003

Swimming with the stingrays was an experience I will never forget. It was wonderful!!!

Been to George Town? Share your experiences!