“Oasis on the blue beach” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Dearborn, Michigan
“Oasis on the blue beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

The rooms were clean. Not the most modern style, but put together nicely. We had a room on the first floor looking out at the pool and ocean. Beautiful place. We rode the cheap2$ taxi to the port area for shopping but it was already 5pm so the streets were empty and it looked pretty touristy if I ever went back I would go to the outside mall down the street from here owned by some millionaire from US that lives on the island now. That mall looks beautiful! Also we ate across the street at some chicken joint and there were literally chickens running around by our feet. Kind of funny and creepy at the same time. But the food was good and the atmosphere was very island like. The hotel rents scuba and snorkeling gear and offers diving classes. I snorkeled right off the hotel beach and they have a man made reef and I was still able to see beautiful ocean life and very colorful fish. Most beautiful. I walked about 5 miles down the beach and this hotel was the best by far! Beautiful inside and out, great outside areas to relax in the garden we would have ate dinner at the hotel restaurant on the ocean front but we were too late and it was full so if you want more of a live evening dinner at the hotel I recommend getting in there before 5 pm or making reservations. Also, the hotel has La Mer spa which was a great, relaxing massage but very over priced. I would go back to this hotel if I go back to this island. Also, very friendly staff and the bell guy remembered our name all weekend and made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Like most of the other positive review, we spent 4 July nights at this lovely resort hotel and it is perfect for our family (7 yr old son and wife). We had a room on the 2nd fl (room 244) and would not recommend this room as the ocean front junior suite view is blocked in the balcony (half way thru balcony fence) by the roof of the Solana resturant below. Requested a room change which was accomodated with ease to the 3rd fl (room 344) and the ocean front view was spectacular. All beach activities are available, some free and some pay for, but the ease is great with Red Sail sports activities right there. The front desk was helpful as was the conceirge. Do the morning sail to Sting Ray sand beach and snorkle with breakfast as no one else is around at 0730am. Atlantis sub is a must do aswell. George town is a good walk about 45 mins, but taxis are readily available. Check in free apple juice/cocktail is a nice touch for all guests. on site resturants are great and fairly priced for Grand Cayman and buffet breakfast should not be missed as prices are half off for kids.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room or higher recommended for a good view
1 Thank globaltraveller_hs
Commack, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

This hotel turned out to be perfect for us. Every person who worked at this hotel was extremely nice and always so helpful, and we did have a lot of questions to help us get to restaurants and different attractions. We had two adjoining rooms which were both very clean and comfortable. The beach is beautiful, but small, but we never had any problems getting a chair at any time of the morning or afternoon. The reef right off the beach and the fish swimming around were a great entertainment to all of us.
The first day we took a bus to Kirk's Supermarket and got breakfasts, drinks and snacks to keep in the rooms, this was very helpful and the prices were normal prices. Be advised that the Cayman dollar and the US dollar are different and you will lose money on every dollar spent.
We did a few excursions which included a tour with Sun Rays Tours (the best in our opinion) to Stingray City, don't miss out on this, it is amazing!! We went to Hell, the Motor Museum, and Georgetown, all of which were really fun.
We ate at different restaurants every night, our favorite was Casanovas, we even ate there twice. Another one we really enjoyed and had lunch and dinner at was Coconut Joes.
The Island is very safe and we did a lot of walking up and down Seven Mile Beach. Looking forward to returning to Cayman Islands and would definitely stay at the Marriott again.

2 Thank Briassa
Grand Cayman M, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Briassa,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad to know that you had a great stay at our Hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear that we provided a memorable experience for our guest. I agree with you about the artificial reef ball. This is a convenient snorkeling activity right off our property and our guests find it pleasurable. Some have just actually shared seeing turtles and lobsters while and we never had such species before. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort.
GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

If you like luxury and don't mind the price tag that comes with it this is an ideal vacation spot. It's right on the Seven Mile Beach, the resort grounds are beautiful, and the staff are extremely helpful, polite, and professional. Furthermore, the resort is located within walking distance of everything so it is extremely convenient. The bus stop is right across from the hotel and only costs $2 (CI) or $3 (US). A car rental is not necessary unless you want to tour the entire island on your own. And if you do not feel like going out for entertainment the Marriot hosts events practically every night for its guests right on the grounds. What really impressed me about this resort,however, was how they provided their guests with 24 access to incoming and outgoing flights from the Cayman airport. My sister and I were able to check our flights, check our bags, and print our boarding passes right there in the lobby. Talk about luxury and convenience!

Edmond, OK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

My family and I stayed at Marriott Beach Resort from July 8 - 14. My overall observations are that this is a nice resort, I would not classify it as exceptional but nice. Yes that should be a compliment. We were in a room with a courtyard view and the room was nice and clean however on two of the last 3 nights were were woke up by a loud banging noise in the wall. My wife called the first time to report the issue and the engineering department immediately provided attention but also told us that the issue had been fixed. Two nights later we were again awoken by the same noise. Each time it lasted more than 90 minutes. A second complaint resulted in an offer of free breakfast. I was a bit offended as some acquaintences we had met at the resort had been given a free breakfast for 7 days because their room was not ready on arrival. We were told again that the issue had been resolved but as I was on the phone with the front desk the noise was back with a vengence. Finally we were offered a room in a different location and we were happy with the ocean front suite, unfortunately it was only one night. That in itself was a bit strange as I had asked to be notified of any openings in ocean front rooms on arrival. Anyway, enough about our room issue.

The beach. The best thing about the entire resort is the snorkeling just off the beach. Some of the best I have experienced. The beach itself is highly misrepresented, Marriott should replace the pictures from their site. At the widest point there is 25 foot of beach and in some areas much less. We were shocked at the size of the beach and how many chairs the Marriott tried to squeeze in there.

The food was good. We ate at the beach bar a couple of times for lunch and both times we were pleased with the quality, the expense not so much but the quality was decent. We ate at the buccaneer's feast and it was fantastic. Great food and fun times. Again very expensive but we knew the cost going in.

Finally, the staff. Overall they were good we didn't experience a lot of the same friendliness the other reviewers have but they were really good in their professionalism and service. I will caveat this with the fact that I was promised a Marriott Rewards Point gift for our issues with the room and I still have not seen it and we have not had the stay added to our rewards account. Hopefully this just takes some time.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mmitch1031
Dear mmitch1031,

We appreciate your feedback about your stay at our Resort. I regret that we did not exceed your expectations. On the other hand, I am happy that you were satisfied with our service and the professionalism of the staff. In regards to your Marriott Rewards Points not been credited to your account, due to the confidentiality policy on TripAdvisor and you cannot disclose your personal rewards number, I am therefore kindly asking you to contact the property and I will personally look into this matter for you. Thank you again for sharing your comments and looking forward to serving you another time.
Centreville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Our family of 4 stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman the second week of July 2012. Absolutely lovely property with very courteous, knowledgable staff and LOTS to do! The property itself offers snorkeling 15-20 yards from shore so great for first timers. Water only 5 ft deep here and SO clear you can see the fish swimming all around. You can rent snorkel gear, wave-runners, kayaks, and much more right there. Red Sail Sports offers lots of activities like diving, sunset cruises and more but use another company for sting ray tour as we found less expensive tour that allowed you to feed the stingrays, took pictures for free, and served food and soda/water. The food at the Marriott is very good but a bit pricey. Property is in a great location on 7-mile beach close to lots of other restaurants and shopping. I would definitely recommend this Marriott to all age groups as it has lots to offer everyone!

2 Thank Patty Y
Dear Patty Y,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our Hotel and had a memorable stay. We are indeed in a great location on Seven Mile Beach and in close proximity to many stores and restaurants. It gives us great pleasure knowing our guest left satisfied and will recommend our property to ours. We appreciate your kind comments about the staff service and looking forward to welcoming you back.

North of Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I just spent one week at the Marriot. The hotel was at 100% capacity but the staff was amazing and accomodating. I thought that I had booked a room with two beds but had only one. Since we could not move to another room they got us a blow up mattress and a feather bed for the pull out sofa. I was so pleased as the room and bathroom were plenty big. Cesar the doorman was a highlight to our day. I had seen a lot of comments about him prior to traveling and he lived up to his reputation! Food and drink was expensive at the hotel but there were plenty of places within walking distance to go to. (Try Cimboco and the jerk chicken sandwich across the way.) We ended up booking our Sting Ray city tour with Tours Cayman for $30 (with free hotel shuttle) as opposed to what the hotel was offering through Red Sail. We did go on the free catamaran boat ride to Rum Point through Red Sail- free boat ride to/from Rum Point and you eat at the restaurant there which was FABULOUS. Richard our server was awesome and the bartender was amazing. My sister got sick while we were there and the hotel even helped us set up an appointment with the 7 Mile Beach Clinic down the road. I was impressed with the clinic and attached pharmacy- very quick, efficient, clean and friendly. No one likes to be sick while away but care was top notch.
Overall the experience was amazing and I would not hesitate to go back. (As an aside I had been to the island once before and had stayed at the Westin. I liked this location better!)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank UnderPressure22
Dear UnderPressure22,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am happy that we made your vacation a great experience. We strive to ensure that other guests have a memorable and wonderful stay and I am happy that this is reflected in your review. I will pass on your kind comments to Cesar. He is very humbled by all these thoughtful comments posted and very pleased to know that he is serving our guests well. He truly exemplifies Marriott Sprit to Serve. We value your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back.